Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Applying Cerakote to is fan/housing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixaddict
Looking for guidance on applying Cerakote to the fan/alternator housing and fan.since the latter needs the center to be removed and zinc plated would like to identify a source for doing that.
Can Cerakote be done DIY or does it require a vendor. Seems as though I read some of that product needs to be baked on.
This is for a six engine ……had the parts vapor blasted so look pretty good except being magnesium I understand they will revert to “gray”.
Appreciate any help.
Van B
They have a selection of air cured coatings that can match most of the bake on products. But you still need a gun, air, and all that good stuff.
Mikey914
Wouldn't recommend baking it in an oven you eat out of. It outclassed. A good coat will feel tacky before baked.
Mikey914
We use on our steering racks, as an option.
technicalninja
Finding a "throw away" oven big enough to do larger items is difficult. I'm watching closely for a 36" wide oven to bake Z-car cylinder heads.

This video gave me ideas for a powder coating/ceramic coating oven.

It requires multiple heating elements out of normal sized trashed ovens and looks like "the best bang for the buck" IMO.

After you bake a chemical coating in an oven it should not be used for food preparation again.

Properly designed, the oven in the video could be taken apart and stored when not in use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7lps1KZ9i4
sixnotfour
911S Registry guy does it all and matches factory...

Whats your level of Correct ?
mepstein
Ben/MB911 does it a lot on 911 engine fans and shrouds he repairs. He uses the air cure.
Mikey914
You can use air cure, but it’s not as durable.
mb911
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 7 2023, 06:05 PM) *

Not true. My valve covers and fan and housings with air cure are incredibly durable. Been doing this now for 10 years with not an issue. It’s all in how it is prepped and applied
Van B
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 7 2023, 10:24 PM) *

Not true. My valve covers and fan and housings with air cure are incredibly durable. Been doing this now for 10 years with not an issue. It’s all in how it is prepped and applied

Any tricks to share beyond following cerakote instructions?
mb911
QUOTE(Van B @ Jun 7 2023, 09:10 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 7 2023, 10:24 PM) *

Any tricks to share beyond following cerakote instructions?

Blast your parts with glass then wipe down with acetone. Spray light coats until covered and let dry. It is that simple. I just did my 928 intake and valve covers the same way and my 914 trans was done 6 years ago the same way. Pictures attached. Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
sixaddict
Ben or others——thanks for info.
I had my parts vapor blasted so nice and clean.
Magnesium sand castings kind of rough .
Can those be sanded to smooth a bit before applying Cerakote?
If so what grit is recommended ….
sixaddict
Obviously not totally as raw was/is correct……in a purist sense.
Just looking to be close…….who is 911S registry guy

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 7 2023, 04:10 PM) *

911S Registry guy does it all and matches factory...

Whats your level of Correct ?

NotLance
Assuming Powder-coating is similar enough to applying Cerakote, I’ve had great results with a cheap harbor freight spray gun and a $40 Craigslist oven to bake it.

Only crucial part is making sure the you remove your masking without touching the powder before putting it in the oven. With powder coat you time the bake ~20min after it starts to turn shiny and it’s good to go. Cerakote likely has different baking times though.

Once again I’ve only done powder coating but from what I understand the process is the same.

Click to view attachment

The red control arms were done by me
mepstein
What’s nice about cerikote is it hardly adds any dimensional thickness to the part. It’s almost like plating. Powder is thick and can cause clearance issues on some parts.
mb911
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Jun 8 2023, 10:38 AM) *

Ben or others——thanks for info.
I had my parts vapor blasted so nice and clean.
Magnesium sand castings kind of rough .
Can those be sanded to smooth a bit before applying Cerakote?
If so what grit is recommended ….

You actually don’t want it overly smooth. You want tooth for the paint to grab onto. My suspicion is those naysayers of air cure don’t have a lot of experience with the product. Rough prep is preferred to say 400 grit wet sand paper which would be typical of regular paints
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 8 2023, 11:17 AM) *

What’s nice about cerikote is it hardly adds any dimensional thickness to the part. It’s almost like plating. Powder is thick and can cause clearance issues on some parts.

Powder is really thick. I made the mistake of using powder on my suspension and in hindsight should have done cerakote
mepstein
We use the air dry version all the time. It’s great on plastic and fiberglass. Also on metals that tend to outgas when heated.
sixaddict
Here are parts I had vapor blasted.
Not coating cam housings….
What color to “match”?
Thanks again
Click to view attachment
mepstein
You can get samples (small pieces of sheet metal spray-outs) from the company.
Van B
Ah choosing colors… I’ve been wondering which air cure black is closest to the original black for the deck lid grill
sixaddict
Great…..Thanks

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 8 2023, 03:04 PM) *

nivekdodge
I've seen a guy with some foam and a heat gun and a food thermometer. I did por 15's kit on my gas tank , then just stuck a heat gun in the filler neck. It was incredibly warm.
I would think a washer or dryer would do this outside ??? but I'm not an expert

Kevin
mb911

I didn’t know that was a thing? I buy the testers which is just a small bottle of paint. It is already thinned so it spray ready and that tester will do about 4 fans
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 10 2023, 08:13 AM) *

I didn’t know that was a thing? I buy the testers which is just a small bottle of paint. It is already thinned so it spray ready and that tester will do about 4 fans

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.