Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fog lights- what to use?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
peteinjp
I have the yellow HELLA TN1 TN2 units and one lens is cracked. They are very cool but for me serve no real purpose. I am thinking to get a new lens but- what i really need is more light for corners at night. I don’t drive much at night but when i do get out of the twisties it’s hard to see around a corner. Due the driving light lenses actually function well in this location?

Pete

Bummer:

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Euro driving lights. These are reproduction. Halogen bulbs but you could convert to single LED bulb.
StarBear
Clear T4 IIRC with LED bulb. Better visibility but check color temp of bulb for correct illumination. I had LED but also don’t drive much at night and liked the warmer color of the filament bulbs. The LED highlights made much more of a difference to me.
burton73
Pictured is my 6 done by PMB Performance and I wanted some serious light. As you can see in picture the light is extreme!

LED blubs did the trick, but I remember my 1974 2.0 back in 1980 that I had some rectangular fog lights that filled the full opening of the bumper and the lens’s where concave and they spread the light super wide and on the tight turns of Mulholland in Los Angeles as they light up right where you were going. I think they were something like a Hella 155 but like I said concave rectangle.

Bob B
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
@peteinjp - I would reach out to Jerry (Spoke) who makes the outstanding LED lights for our cars and order a set of his LED driving lights- they are very bright. In fact, if you have not, please consider converting all of your exterior lighting to Jerry's LED's. They are plug and play and bring modern lighting to our cars without any modifications required. beerchug.gif
sportlicherFahrer
I run the Pilot lights like what @914werke sells. They go for $99 a set shipped(not sure about shipping overseas). H3 bulbs are definitely an upgrade from the stock bulbs. Nice and bright on the mountain roads in the Cascades.

914werke classified ad

914werke site listing
porschetub
QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ Jun 11 2023, 06:35 AM) *

I run the Pilot lights like what @914werke sells. They go for $99 a set shipped(not sure about shipping overseas). H3 bulbs are definitely an upgrade from the stock bulbs. Nice and bright on the mountain roads in the Cascades.

914werke classified ad

914werke site listing

I have the same,found them to be pretty bright ,haven't tryed H3 lamps as yet but may do so ,can't remember what the lamps are that came with them.
These are well made but I replaced the bolts in the brackets with stainless ones,only other thing is if you break a lenses you are screwed unlike the original foglights
Craigers17
I just installed these same Driving lights/fog lights that Rich sells. I opted to add the LED bulbs. If I remember, I'll try to snap a pic tonight after it gets dark.

Click to view attachment

You probably wouldn't have had to take off the bumper, but I've been "Jones'n" to do a very rough mock up of my fiberglass bumper and air dam, so I pulled it all off...needs to be painted anyways.

Click to view attachment
Stratfink
@craigers17

Your front bumper and air dam mock-up is looking good. Is that from GT Racing or another source?

Thanks - Joe
Craigers17
QUOTE(Stratfink @ Jun 10 2023, 10:48 PM) *

@craigers17

Your front bumper and air dam mock-up is looking good. Is that from GT Racing or another source?

Thanks - Joe

Sorry Joe, I'm not sure. I bought them both used from private parties. There are no markings on them.
ThinAir
I replaced my Pilots with these. I had tried to put LEDs in the Pilots, but the reflectors aren't made for them so they were just bright spots that didn't light the road. I'm really happy with this setup.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09YC4FX4V?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Click to view attachment
peteinjp
Thanks everyone. more options that I thought! I'll dig in and do some research.

@burton73 what housings/lenses did PMB use?

And for the guys with the Pilots- are they brighter than the stock lights? Price is good for sure but the non replaceable lens kinda cancels that out.

At the moment I'm thinking of getting a set of the clear driving lenses with the very light fluting like the ones listed on eBay above- for my existing housings. Any leads on just the lens?

Pete
SixerJ
Not 914 Specific, but interesting background if sticking with filament for any reason

I followed the AC guidance for my Sprinter camper just before a 3500 mile European road trip. Significant improvement at night over 18 month old old stock bulbs

Also note if searching these seem to be no longer branded as GE but the same thing / same factory

http://www.audettecollection.com/a-guide-to-h1-h4-bulbs/
peteinjp
Oh- and just to be clear (pun intended...) I'm looking for more light off the sides of the road- more throw than your typical fog but not as narrow as a long distance lamp. I have a pair of Hella 400o cornering lamps on the roof of one of my other cars and they are amazing- but overkill and illegal.... I have them set up with a separate switch but to only be able to be switched with the high beams on.

Pete
Jamie
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 10 2023, 04:06 AM) *

Euro driving lights. These are reproduction. Halogen bulbs but you could convert to single LED bulb.

So I have a bottom line question, is there an LED "bulb" replacement for the original fog lamp housings? I would like to be able to use them for daylight running lights without major deviation from original appearance on my almost all original 73 driver. huh.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we sell reproductions of the original 914 h-3 with the optional led lightbulbs
burton73
QUOTE(peteinjp @ Jun 13 2023, 01:16 AM) *

Thanks everyone. more options that I thought! I'll dig in and do some research.

@burton73 what housings/lenses did PMB use?

And for the guys with the Pilots- are they brighter than the stock lights? Price is good for sure but the non replaceable lens kinda cancels that out.

At the moment I'm thinking of getting a set of the clear driving lenses with the very light fluting like the ones listed on eBay above- for my existing housings. Any leads on just the lens?

Pete

Pete,

I couple of pix. Factory fog lens.

Best Bob B
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Just here to add my obligatory "those are not driving lights" comment.

Check your local laws, in Germany it is illegal to use your fog lights as driving lights.
shades.gif
ClayPerrine
The fog lights on my big six have been replaced with 911 driving lights. They are the same body, but the lens has a different diffuser pattern.

I have them wired to be daytime running lights, and I would love to convert them to LED.
peteinjp
Seems there are 2 driving lenses used- one like Bob's that are similar to the fogs but with no change in the fluting top to bottom and one with less extreme fluting as the ones on Ebay linked above.

Clay- which lenses are your 911 lights?

I'm leaning towards getting lenses like Bob's thinking that the patterned would be spread out more and scattered to the sides a bit.

Pete

Van B
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 10 2023, 08:06 AM) *

I bought a set of those and they are absolutely spot on reproductions… even includes OE ink stamps. Made on original factory equipment.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(peteinjp @ Jun 13 2023, 08:03 PM) *

Clay- which lenses are your 911 lights?

I never really looked closely at the pattern, and the car is down right now so I can't get a picture of the pattern.

The part number is 911 631 121 00.

I had a 911 guy get pissed at me because I wouldn't agree to sell them to him. He had been looking for a set for his 70 911 S for years. He felt they didn't belong on a 914 because it was not a real Porsche.
sportlicherFahrer
@peteinjp Yes, the Pilot style lights are brighter than the stock lights.

Also, for those interested in re-lighting the stock housings and retaining the original lens( @Jamie ), @Spoke does have LED boards for that purpose on his sight.

Spokeworks LED fog light boards
Jamie
QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ Jun 14 2023, 04:49 AM) *

Also, for those interested in re-lighting the stock housings and retaining the original lens( @Jamie ), @Spoke does have LED boards for that purpose on his sight.

Thanks, I ordered them several days ago. Will report on the install when I return from the Freedom Road Rally in Ohio all next week. rolleyes.gif
Literati914
To me the idea of a 914 fog light throwing a wide pattern seems counterintuitive, when you stop to consider that when installed as original, they are recessed inside of the bumper and also an inch or so inside of a plastic/chrome bezel. Seems like most of the pattern width would be killed by the recessed nature of that arrangement. Where as, an exposed bumper or hood mounted light would be more effective at pattern width. I have pilots and originals, not sure which I’ll install … pilots are probably better light but I kinda prefer the looks of the originals. Honestly tho I’ll probably just consider them daytime running lights as I have the wiring mod pieces already.

Spoke
QUOTE(Jamie @ Jun 14 2023, 11:31 AM) *

QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ Jun 14 2023, 04:49 AM) *

Thanks, I ordered them several days ago. Will report on the install when I return from the Freedom Road Rally in Ohio all next week. rolleyes.gif

@Jamie

Thanks for the order. In a rare occasion, I built an extra set a week ago and should be able to get these out to you on Monday.

To answer your question about fitment in a '73 OEM fixture, they should fit perfectly. This is what the set looks like. A board with 8 high power LEDs running at 0.35A each for a power of about 9W each being 2x brighter than the OEM bulb running 35W. A mounting frame is supplied.

Click to view attachment

To mount them, disassemble the bezel, glass lens/gasket, and reflector. Set the reflector aside; you won't need it. Replace the gasket if not soft and supple (Recommended); 914rubber has new ones. Replace the lens if pitted. Paint the bezel if you like.

Put the gasket on the lens. Then insert the lens/gasket in the mounting frame making sure the gasket fits smoothly all around looking like this:

Click to view attachment

If the gasket looks like this, remove it and try again.

Click to view attachment

Once the lens/gasket/LED board are together, get the 4 metal clips and supplied tool and reassemble. If the clips are missing or bad, 914rubber has new ones.

Click to view attachment

There's 4 cutouts in the PCB for the clips to hold onto. It's not good to put the clips ON the PCB as this may deform the PCB.

Click to view attachment

Orient the board in the bezel so the printing is upright and the notch in the bezel at the bottom aligns with the notch in the glass lens. One by one replace the metal clips using the supplied installation tool. Wear safety glasses and do this in a room where you can find the clips if they slip off as they tend to accelerate at high speed as far away from you as possible.

Click to view attachment

Done.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

On the vehicle, remove the bulb socket by unscrewing the small flat head screw for power and crimp on the supplied connector on each side.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Install the assembly in the fixture, replace the bumper and drive it like you stole it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.