Full Version: Wiring harness snorkel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
mb911
QUOTE(Van B @ Jan 21 2024, 10:02 AM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 20 2024, 01:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Van B @ Jun 15 2023, 04:53 PM) *

https://914rubber.com/wiring-harness-snorkel-tube-1

I know this has been discussed before, but there was no thread specific to the issue and I couldn’t find the discussion. So, I wanted to post one that others can find.

Bottom line, I don’t know the scope or differences among years and models, but the wiring harness snorkel sold by 914 rubber, definitely does not fit my 74. @Mikey914 any chance you’d be willing to make one with a proper size top for whatever years have this size?
Click to view attachment

Or, does anyone know a source for one that will fit my 74?

if i have this right the 914rubber snorkel is correct length for a 74, but the upper grommet end is too small. hole through engine shelf is larger on later cars?
(i ask this as i have a 74 so would not have a clue what earlier cars are like).

but if the hole is the problem. weld in a suitably sized washer to the underside of the engine shelf as a reducer. paint to match.

Too long and the top flare is way too small. I’d rather pay for someone to make a batch of the right dimensions and sell them here myself to the benefit of everyone with a 74+ than arbitrarily mod the car.

I’m going to start looking into injection molding companies. Lots of them can 3D print molds now that significantly reduce tooling costs for small batch parts.

Van great idea. I would be happy to have them on my website if you do.
wonkipop
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 21 2024, 01:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Van B @ Jan 21 2024, 10:02 AM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 20 2024, 01:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Van B @ Jun 15 2023, 04:53 PM) *

https://914rubber.com/wiring-harness-snorkel-tube-1

I know this has been discussed before, but there was no thread specific to the issue and I couldn’t find the discussion. So, I wanted to post one that others can find.

Bottom line, I don’t know the scope or differences among years and models, but the wiring harness snorkel sold by 914 rubber, definitely does not fit my 74. @Mikey914 any chance you’d be willing to make one with a proper size top for whatever years have this size?
Click to view attachment

Or, does anyone know a source for one that will fit my 74?

if i have this right the 914rubber snorkel is correct length for a 74, but the upper grommet end is too small. hole through engine shelf is larger on later cars?
(i ask this as i have a 74 so would not have a clue what earlier cars are like).

but if the hole is the problem. weld in a suitably sized washer to the underside of the engine shelf as a reducer. paint to match.

Too long and the top flare is way too small. I’d rather pay for someone to make a batch of the right dimensions and sell them here myself to the benefit of everyone with a 74+ than arbitrarily mod the car.

I’m going to start looking into injection molding companies. Lots of them can 3D print molds now that significantly reduce tooling costs for small batch parts.

Van great idea. I would be happy to have them on my website if you do.

i'll support the cause and buy one.
the one on mine i can tell is aged.
but of course i won't be replacing it because i won't be getting the loom out at any point.
but i will put it in the box on the shelf with everything else for the car. beerchug.gif

Superhawk996
I don’t even have a 74’ but will support you in your quest by buying one if you decide to go that route.
live free & drive
Formlabs recently introduced a machine that prints silicone rubber parts that are really nice (like right out of a mold). Most printed elastomeric parts previously were pretty much crap.

I've seen and held a couple of these parts - pulled on them stretched them etc and they seemed like real parts. Formlabs machines build the parts layer by layer wherein they screed material across a thin layer at a time and then cure the material layer by layer.

Try this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDoUztSoyvk&t=2s

I'm not affiliated with the company, but this is the first time I've ever seen/felt printed elastomers that were anywhere close to a production part.
JeffBowlsby
biggrin.gif
Van B
You're the man Jeff.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Van B @ Jan 26 2024, 12:56 PM) *

You're the man Jeff.

THE encyclopedia brittanica on legs. beerchug.gif
gerakroo
We will have the 914-4 snorkel tube available within 2 or 3 weeks. Its an 100% exact reproduction of the original.
It will be listed under the 914-4 section in our webshop.

Kroon Wire Harnesses

Click to view attachment
mb911
QUOTE(gerakroo @ Apr 17 2024, 12:13 PM) *

We will have the 914-4 snorkel tube available within 2 or 3 weeks. Its an 100% exact reproduction of the original.
It will be listed under the 914-4 section in our webshop.

Kroon Wire Harnesses

Click to view attachment

Awesome and good for you.
sixaddict
Just got mine yesterday….. piratenanner.gif
gerakroo
Now available from stock, 914-4 snorkel rubber for the 914-4 1974-1976, exact reproduction of the original !

Order yours here:

https://www.kroonwireharnesses.com/snorkel-rubber-914-kro23

Click to view attachment
Van B
Nice!!!
Van B
Oof... Shipping is as much as the part though?

@gerakroo . Any interest in a group buy to save on sending to us here in the US? Might help you sell a few more.
Montreal914
...Now if someone was to engineer one that doesn't require the removal of the harness. sunglasses.gif

Using this kind of concept... idea.gif

Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ May 15 2024, 05:04 PM) *

...Now if someone was to engineer one that doesn't require the removal of the harness. sunglasses.gif

Using this kind of concept... idea.gif

Click to view attachment

Just what I was wondering; how to get the wires into a new snorkel. Great idea !
mb911
QUOTE(Van B @ May 15 2024, 03:54 PM) *

@gerakroo . Any interest in a group buy to save on sending to us here in the US? Might help you sell a few more.

That would be awesome. If there was enough interest so would buy 20 of them and just resell to cover costs
JeffBowlsby
Not that hard to install. It’s only wiring for the rear trunk lights, the relay board (r/r the plastic 14 pin housing), the battery cables and the fuel pump (r/r the connector housing). Use wire lube to pull the wires through the grommet. Easy enough.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ May 15 2024, 10:27 PM) *

Not that hard to install. It’s only wiring for the rear trunk lights, the relay board (r/r the plastic 14 pin housing), the battery cables and the fuel pump (r/r the connector housing). Use wire lube to pull the wires through the grommet. Easy enough.

agree.gif

I am rewiring the engine compartment on my six conversion for the MS3Pro. So while I am at it, I installed a new snorkel. Getting it in is not difficult. Just time consuming.

slap.gif Don't half ass it. Do it right the first time.

gerakroo
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ May 16 2024, 05:27 AM) *

Your samples are on their way Jeff !
gerakroo
QUOTE(Van B @ May 16 2024, 01:54 AM) *

Yes, a group buy might be a good idea. I do agree that shipping is expensive for a single part, on the other hand, in general it will arrive within 2 or 3 days (from Netherlands to US)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.