Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiring harness snorkel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Van B
https://914rubber.com/wiring-harness-snorkel-tube-1

I know this has been discussed before, but there was no thread specific to the issue and I couldn’t find the discussion. So, I wanted to post one that others can find.

Bottom line, I don’t know the scope or differences among years and models, but the wiring harness snorkel sold by 914 rubber, definitely does not fit my 74. @Mikey914 any chance you’d be willing to make one with a proper size top for whatever years have this size?
Click to view attachment

Or, does anyone know a source for one that will fit my 74?
JeffBowlsby
Mark knows. There are two different snorkels. Techcnially called Double End Grommets
Mikey914
Yes we need to make the other version. I can see us doing that this year. My number 1 push is to complete our dash top molding. It is what is taking up most all of my time right now. I have several other items like the door pockets that are stagnated until I can break off some time to do this. I have made the drawings up and can do this pretty easily once I can break off the time to make the molds.

I'll even start up a GB thread to give me some extra motivation to push this across the finish line!
Van B
Jeff, I know mark knows; but the website and literally everyone who sells this part says its for ALL… so, now at least there will be something searchable here and somewhere for Mark to update.

Mark, I would appreciate it very much if you would make this happen. You’re literally the only guy who would…
davep
QUOTE(Van B @ Jun 15 2023, 08:01 PM) *

but the website and literally everyone who sells this part says its for ALL

Yes, the current replacement fits "all" but poorly in both cases.
From 1970 through 1973 MYs it is too long but both ends fit.
From 1974 MY it is the correct length, but the upper end is too small.

Similarly, the front grommet above the fuse panel going into the front compartment also change and was made much larger in 1974 MY.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 15 2023, 06:24 PM) *

Yes we need to make the other version. I can see us doing that this year. My number 1 push is to complete our dash top molding. It is what is taking up most all of my time right now. I have several other items like the door pockets that are stagnated until I can break off some time to do this. I have made the drawings up and can do this pretty easily once I can break off the time to make the molds.

I'll even start up a GB thread to give me some extra motivation to push this across the finish line!

I am torn... I need an early dash for the six, and I need a snorkel for Betty's 74.

BillJ
Six needs versus wife needs.... tread carefully my friend!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(BillJ @ Jun 16 2023, 11:49 AM) *

She wants her car back, and she wants the six fixed up too.

Gotta love a woman that loves 914s as much, or more that you do. wub.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 16 2023, 09:47 AM) *

I am torn... I need an early dash for the six, and I need a snorkel for Betty's 74.

Dash is in the works now, should havethe tool wrapped up in 30 days. Early with the late.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 16 2023, 12:19 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 16 2023, 09:47 AM) *

Dash is in the works now, should havethe tool wrapped up in 30 days. Al9ng with the late.

Put me down for one!
914Sixer
I think I have a NOS? late style snorkel. Will have to check in the cool of the morning.
Van B
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 16 2023, 01:43 PM) *

I think I have a NOS? late style snorkel. Will have to check in the cool of the morning.

That would be awesome!
bbrock
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 15 2023, 05:24 PM) *

I have several other items like the door pockets that are stagnated until I can break off some time to do this.

@Mikey914 And subwoofer boxes? poke.gif bye1.gif
Mikey914
On the list.
worn
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 17 2023, 10:05 AM) *

On the list.

So nice to find a guy with a list longer than mine. drunk.gif
Maltese Falcon
The snorkel (4cyl) also works well in keeping a bunch of wires +cables under control in the 8cyl project...tucks against the lower firewall and away from moving pulleys/belts. The end will also fit directly into a #16 firesleeve for continuing the distance needed wherever your wires need to go
Click to view attachment
914Sixer
I have a USED late one for a pattern if Mark want's to use it.
930cabman
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 16 2023, 10:52 AM) *

QUOTE(BillJ @ Jun 16 2023, 11:49 AM) *

She wants her car back, and she wants the six fixed up too.

Gotta love a woman that loves 914s as much, or more that you do. wub.gif

Imagine where we would be without them? don't think too long, it might get messy
Mikey914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 18 2023, 07:51 AM) *

I have a USED late one for a pattern if Mark want's to use it.

PM sent thanks!
914Sixer
On the way to 914Rubber
930cabman
Count me in for a couple (late version)
doug_b_928
@Mikey914 Per Jeff’s post are you going to make two new versions (correct length for up to 73 and correct end for 74+)? I have your current snorkel but haven’t installed so if you make one the correct length for 73 then I’m in as well.

Mikey914
I will be making the one with the larger top at the OEM size.

The original "early " was made slightly longer to accommodate the 6 mounts better.

By all means if there are enough that want the OEM size as the tube is about an inch longer we can make them, but probably not worth retooling it.

-Mark
ThinAir
Pardon my ignorance, but exactly where does this go on our cars? I will be replacing g my chassis harness in the next year and I'm sure that I'll end one.
Mikey914
Comes through the firewall at the bottom and pops up through the engine compartment in the front.
ndfrigi
https://youtu.be/meuFs3HaUj0
ThinAir
That is a very helpful video! Thanks for sharing. My plan is to replace my harness next year with one of theirs.
Van B
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 25 2023, 12:02 AM) *

I will be making the one with the larger top at the OEM size.

The original "early " was made slightly longer to accommodate the 6 mounts better.

By all means if there are enough that want the OEM size as the tube is about an inch longer we can make them, but probably not worth retooling it.

-Mark

@Mikey914

Is this thing gonna happen? If not, then it looks like many of us won’t be able to have a replacement snorkel.
Van B
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 19 2023, 02:13 PM) *

On the way to 914Rubber

@914Sixer

Any update from your end?
914Sixer
I have not heard anything from Mark
Mikey914
Yes this is still in the works, most likely 1st of next year, as I’ve been cleaning up projects that are still in limbo. This is one.
Will not be a huge seller, so difficult to recoup tooling and expense associated with it, so project is best finished beginning of the new fiscal year.
Van B
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 6 2023, 06:36 PM) *

Yes this is still in the works, most likely 1st of next year, as I’ve been cleaning up projects that are still in limbo. This is one.
Will not be a huge seller, so difficult to recoup tooling and expense associated with it, so project is best finished beginning of the new fiscal year.

I think you’ll be surprised. But I agree you’re not going to pay salaries with this part. Regardless, it is needed by a great many of us since the “fits all years” is not all years.
doug_b_928
The grommets fit my early 73 perfectly but the extra length looks like it will be a challenge to deal with. The late Brent Brock used what he coined a reverse foreskin method to shorten it to the correct length. I tried this without the harness inside but couldn't get it. I'm assuming presence of the wires inside will facilitate that. But you can see in the attached pic in situ how the extra length makes crinkles that will be difficult to deal with.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
We had made the 1st snorkel 1" longer for those that had 6 mounts. That's what you are seeing there.
friethmiller
Mark, I'll need one for my LE that I'm currently rebuilding.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 9 2023, 11:39 PM) *

We had made the 1st snorkel 1" longer for those that had 6 mounts. That's what you are seeing there.

Why would the ones with a six mount need to be longer? confused24.gif

The distance from the hole for the wiring to the engine shelf hasn't changed with the addition of a six mount.

confused24.gif confused24.gif
gereed75
Cut it in halves. Roll an aluminum collar to size. Cut snorkel to length. Insert collar. Shrink tube outside diameter. Voila - custom snorkel.
Van B
Mark, still need that snorkel for my 74… I will order 10 if it gets you to make this sooner please!
mb911
QUOTE(Van B @ Jan 17 2024, 07:26 PM) *

Mark, still need that snorkel for my 74… I will order 10 if it gets you to make this sooner please!

Doesn’t Kroon have them?
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 18 2024, 05:32 AM) *

Doesn’t Kroon have them?

Also try resto design since they are making 914-4 harnesses.
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 18 2024, 03:12 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 18 2024, 05:32 AM) *

Doesn’t Kroon have them?

Also try resto design since they are making 914-4 harnesses.

agree.gif
Van B
No. No one has the snorkel for a 74.
mb911
QUOTE(Van B @ Jan 18 2024, 10:16 PM) *

No. No one has the snorkel for a 74.

Then how are they making complete harnesses?
Van B
Welcome to prove me wrong, Ben… or anyone else for that matter. If you can find a parts listing that I can’t, I’ll f-ing buy you one too just for the trouble.

All I want is a harness tube that fits a 74 since “all years” is not a factual statement.
mepstein
QUOTE(Van B @ Jan 19 2024, 07:45 PM) *

Welcome to prove me wrong, Ben… or anyone else for that matter. If you can find a parts listing that I can’t, I’ll f-ing buy you one too just for the trouble.

All I want is a harness tube that fits a 74 since “all years” is not a factual statement.

I would just call Pete at RD on Monday. That will answer the question for sure.
JeffBowlsby
The 74-76 double end grommet (snorkel tube) is not made, the part from 914Rubber is not technically correct for any 914/4 but can be modified to function. 914Rubber is working on them, but they have lots of irons in the fire. Be patient and work around it for now.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=snorkel

Dimensions upper end x lower end x length are:

1970-73 30mm (i.d.) x 40mm (i.d.) x 230mm (upper seat to center of lower end)
1974-76 40mm (i.d.) x 40mm (i.d.) x 270mm (upper seat to center of lower end)

914Rubber 30mm (i.d.) x 40mm (i.d.) x 270mm (upper seat to center of lower end)
mtndawg
I’ve used the workaround in the thread above on a ‘75 and it came out excellent!
wonkipop
QUOTE(Van B @ Jun 15 2023, 04:53 PM) *

I know this has been discussed before, but there was no thread specific to the issue and I couldn’t find the discussion. So, I wanted to post one that others can find.

Bottom line, I don’t know the scope or differences among years and models, but the wiring harness snorkel sold by 914 rubber, definitely does not fit my 74. @Mikey914 any chance you’d be willing to make one with a proper size top for whatever years have this size?
Click to view attachment

if i have this right the 914rubber snorkel is correct length for a 74, but the upper grommet end is too small. hole through engine shelf is larger on later cars?
(i ask this as i have a 74 so would not have a clue what earlier cars are like).

but if the hole is the problem. weld in a suitably sized washer to the underside of the engine shelf as a reducer. paint to match.
mb911
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 20 2024, 10:37 AM) *

Click to view attachment

if i have this right the 914rubber snorkel is correct length for a 74, but the upper grommet end is too small. hole through engine shelf is larger on later cars?
(i ask this as i have a 74 so would not have a clue what earlier cars are like).

but if the hole is the problem. weld in a suitably sized washer to the underside of the engine shelf as a reducer. paint to match.

Yes I guess or find the correct grommet. Took me until after my car was painted to discover the discrepancy and mine fits like a hot dog in a hall way. I would love to make this part just don’t have the energy or time for it.
Van B
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 20 2024, 01:37 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Too long and the top flare is way too small. I’d rather pay for someone to make a batch of the right dimensions and sell them here myself to the benefit of everyone with a 74+ than arbitrarily mod the car.

I’m going to start looking into injection molding companies. Lots of them can 3D print molds now that significantly reduce tooling costs for small batch parts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.