Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo cable fell off at Transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bls72
Team! New 914 owner, and my speedo cable fell off at the transmission. I can't see if there is just a simple bolt I can get to replace it, or if there is an easy way to screw it back on? I saw a lot of posts about replacing it....but not about how to just screw it back on. Thanks!

If it's a full replacement, I'll probably just wire it up and use the GPS for a speed.

1985 1.8L
Shivers
It just slides in and screws on
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Look at the angle drive and see if it has come apart, it attaches to the right rear on the transmission tail cover

QUOTE(bls72 @ Jun 22 2023, 07:12 AM) *

Team! New 914 owner, and my speedo cable fell off at the transmission. I can't see if there is just a simple bolt I can get to replace it, or if there is an easy way to screw it back on? I saw a lot of posts about replacing it....but not about how to just screw it back on. Thanks!

If it's a full replacement, I'll probably just wire it up and use the GPS for a speed.

1985 1.8L

Shivers
A pic would tell us a lot
rjames
Did it break in two like this?
Click to view attachment
bls72
Added some pics,
I can just pull it apart where I'm pointing with the glove.
It will pull right out.

Almost looks like there is a bolt or something that should be holding it in? (second picture with glove pointing)

Thanks for such fast replies. New to the forum and nice to see how active it is.
bls72
Pointing to the back of the speedo cable. looks like it's missing a bolt here?
bls72
Robert- YES< it appears to have just broke in two.
rjames
QUOTE(bls72 @ Jun 22 2023, 11:37 AM) *

Robert- YES< it appears to have just broke in two.

Yup, yours separated and you need a new angle drive. Simple.
You're not missing a bolt. Just unbolt the half that's still attached to the transmission by loosening the nut your finger is on in the first pic. Then uninstall the other half from the cable.
It will be obvious how to install the replacement when you have it in your hands.
Shivers
No bolt there. Maybe a clip let go inside. Put an ad in the classified section
930cabman
welcome.png

If I recall correctly, there is a 8mm shoulder bolt threaded in the trans case that holds the angled speedo drive in place. Unless the drive broke into two pieces

emerygt350
autoAtlanta sells the elbow.
rick 918-S
Pull this bolt. The drive will slide out. Replace it. McMark used to sell a modified one with two O-rings that sealed better. Check the classifieds for a used one or maybe Dr. Evil has some.

Click to view attachment
rjames
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 24 2023, 04:33 AM) *

Pull this bolt. The drive will slide out. Replace it. McMark used to sell a modified one with two O-rings that sealed better. Check the classifieds for a used one or maybe Dr. Evil has some.

Click to view attachment

No need to touch that bolt.
FlacaProductions
https://914rubber.com/speedometer-drive-gea...bushing-kit-1-1
rjames
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jun 24 2023, 08:59 AM) *

Why do you think he needs this part? What am I missing?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 24 2023, 09:16 PM) *

Oh ya Turn the big nut.
Mikey914
Sorry,
You do not need my part. You need a new angle drive. It actually looks like yours is NOT leaking biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
FlacaProductions
QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 24 2023, 07:16 PM) *

Because I'm wrong and should just stay quiet.
Mikey914
Thanks for the mention, many do need this.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.