Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stripped cone screw at the firewall
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
emerygt350
4.5 is too big and apparently 4 is too small. 5/32 too small. Wtf. Anyway, what do I do now? Drill it? Weld the alan to it?
914Sixer
How far is it in? IF the right screw was used, you can get needle nose vice grips on it.
emerygt350
I can get at it with a vice grip. I don't have a needle nose vice grip. Might need to get one.
Porschef
Try tapping in an easy out, it shouldn’t be that tight. If’n that fails you can drill it out, be sure to get the proper cone screws prior

Good luck beerchug.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
You can bang in a usa sized allen on a 3/8 socket after soaking it in pb blaster overnight

Then of course replace the set screw, plenty on the shelf

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jun 24 2023, 08:27 AM) *

4.5 is too big and apparently 4 is too small. 5/32 too small. Wtf. Anyway, what do I do now? Drill it? Weld the alan to it?

emerygt350
I wish I had known before my last order that I was going to need one...
rhodyguy
For a SS trans equipped car, buy 2. I would buy 4, pay shipping 1 time and not worry about it.
r_towle
Wait to order until you have your whole list..
Bang in another Allen or a Torx bit on a socket.
Heat lightly with a propane torch (careful, fuel lines adjacent)
It may have had locktight on the threads, heat will melt it.

emerygt350
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 24 2023, 12:01 PM) *

Wait to order until you have your whole list..
Bang in another Allen or a Torx bit on a socket.
Heat lightly with a propane torch (careful, fuel lines adjacent)
It may have had locktight on the threads, heat will melt it.

Excellent suggestion!
emerygt350
A little heat and a high quality extractor did the job easily. Thanks for the suggestions people.
r_towle
smilie_pokal.gif
MartyYeoman
One more suggestion: Try and get a set of the conical screws with the square head. They have a hole for safety wire (spelled reusable) and they don't rely on the socket as a installation feature. I tried searching for a part number but struck out. I got mine from Al when he ran PartsHeaven. I think they are early 911.
TheCabinetmaker
Grab a torx bit just a little too big for the hole. Hammer it in till it seats. Unscrew. Insert new cone screw. Buy 5 extra for later!
emerygt350
I tried the torx and the alan but it was not working. I decided it was about time I had a good set of extractors so I spent some money on that. I really think the heat was the key. If I had hit it with some heat first I probably wouldn't have stripped it. Somebody put some red locktite in there. I know, cause it was me. Fing DACO. And people on here warned me about exactly this problem but I was so frustrated with that cone screw loosening up. I have a big bottle of blue locktite now.
emerygt350
And a couple of cone screws on their way from autoAtlanta.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jun 26 2023, 05:43 PM) *

Fing DACO.

av-943.gif I love the sense of humor
bkrantz
Back to the original question, I sometimes got luck with sloppy or worn Allen head bolts after wrapping the wrench with a layer or two of aluminum foil.
Morrie
QUOTE(MartyYeoman @ Jun 24 2023, 07:17 PM) *

One more suggestion: Try and get a set of the conical screws with the square head. They have a hole for safety wire (spelled reusable) and they don't rely on the socket as a installation feature. I tried searching for a part number but struck out. I got mine from Al when he ran PartsHeaven. I think they are early 911.

Agree 100%. The square head ones with the safety wire hole are all I use. Funny thing is that I got all of mine from trading local 911 guys for allen head ones they wanted to "upgrade" to. I first learned of the safety wire when I bought my 68 912 years ago and fixed a sloppy shifter by tightening the very loose bolt. Make it snug and one nice wrap with safety wire around the coupler and you are set. Simplicity is elegance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.