Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: back window glass
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hndyhrr
The pumpkin is 70 1.7

I have taken out the back glass to get it cleaned up and better sealed.

In the pic below is what I pulled off after glass removed.

My question is this looks like a gasket/seal of some sort with what looks like a guitar string imbedded. Is this original to the car??? Will it be ok to use the stuff I bought from 914 rubber to reinstall it? oh and there was only one spacer block. interesting.

Thanks

Renee Click to view attachment
nivekdodge
QUOTE(hndyhrr @ Jun 26 2023, 01:44 PM) *

The pumpkin is 70 1.7

My question is this looks like a gasket/seal of some sort with what looks like a guitar string imbedded. Is this original to the car??? Will it be ok to use the stuff I bought from 914 rubber to reinstall it? oh and there was only one spacer block. interesting.

3m 8610
mepstein
I don’t remember all the details but I read that the wire was imbedded in the seal and would be attached to a charge to get it hot.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 26 2023, 11:15 AM) *

I don’t remember all the details but I read that the wire was imbedded in the seal and would be attached to a charge to get it hot.

That would be interesting to learn a bit more about. Replaced a few rear window seals that had the "string". Always wondered what it might have been there for.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes it is the original buy the 1/4 inch butyl tape kit to replace it. 3M makes the "stuff"

QUOTE(hndyhrr @ Jun 26 2023, 10:44 AM) *

The pumpkin is 70 1.7

hndyhrr
Next question....... The spacing block,I found only one, can I get one from a auto glass shop here in Medford,OR ?
Robarabian
Anyone "could" have them, they are just little pieces of rubber. AA or 914 rubber has them as well.

Also, I just did this. CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN. Clean is your friend. If you can do the install on a warm day, and place the butyl seal in the channel and let it get some heat, it will become even more sticky and will be easier to attach. It will still work without the heat, but I noticed it was easier to push it into place and make sure there was a good seal with minimal force, which can break the window.

Get a second set of hands, the stuff is sticky. Test fit it before you do it for real. Put the ends that butt to each other at the top in a corner somewhere as water is less likely to travel upward.

Once it is in, enjoy years of no water entry into the cabin from the back glass.
Front yard mechanic
Save that string it looks like D string and send it to stratplayer
hndyhrr
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Jun 26 2023, 04:54 PM) *

Anyone "could" have them, they are just little pieces of rubber. AA or 914 rubber has them as well.

Also, I just did this. CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN. Clean is your friend. If you can do the install on a warm day, and place the butyl seal in the channel and let it get some heat, it will become even more sticky and will be easier to attach. It will still work without the heat, but I noticed it was easier to push it into place and make sure there was a good seal with minimal force, which can break the window.

Get a second set of hands, the stuff is sticky. Test fit it before you do it for real. Put the ends that butt to each other at the top in a corner somewhere as water is less likely to travel upward.

Once it is in, enjoy years of no water entry into the cabin from the back glass.

Heat will not be a problem suppose to top 100 in the next few days. Second seat of hands is available, They will cost me a few beers but that is fine. lol

Thanks for advice.

Renee
hndyhrr

What did you use to get the old crap off? Acetone and goof off not working like i would like. Feel like my arm is going to fall off after scrubbing with them and got half the bottom cleaned up.

beer3.gif

mepstein
Try a razor blade in the glass. Also brake clean.
hndyhrr
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 26 2023, 05:38 PM) *

Try a razor blade in the glass. Also brake clean.

Glass not a problem. thanks

Crap still stuck on car is a bitch!

Back at it tomorrow!
Mikey914
1/4" is actually a little too small, but we have the setting blocks and the butyl.

$20 for all (yes both setting blocks).

https://914rubber.com/reseal-kit-for-914-1
hndyhrr
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 26 2023, 09:03 PM) *

1/4" is actually a little too small, but we have the setting blocks and the butyl.

I bought this from you but I can not find the setting blocks. lol. I have searched high and low but no nada.

Only have the the one that I found when pulling the old stuff out.
Dave_Darling
IIRC, the "string" acts as a bit of a heating element embedded in the butyl, and warms it up so it sticks better.

--DD
Shivers
QUOTE(hndyhrr @ Jun 26 2023, 05:14 PM) *

What did you use to get the old crap off? Acetone and goof off not working like i would like. Feel like my arm is going to fall off after scrubbing with them and got half the bottom cleaned up.

beer3.gif

If you are not worried about the paint there are more aggressive solvents that work better. Otherwise maybe mineral spirits
Mikey914
QUOTE(hndyhrr @ Jun 26 2023, 09:22 PM) *

I bought this from you but I can not find the setting blocks. lol. I have searched high and low but no nada.

PM me your info, I can drop a set out.
-Mark

PS Goof off and rags you can throw away work pretty well. You will just need to wipe down with denatured alcohol before install.
jim_hoyland
Tip from our local glass installer: Windex is your friend. Helps when cleaning up. I used it when removing the old butyl ( and a plastic scraper) when replacing my Volvo window.
Also, the windex prevents butyl from sticking to your hands
hndyhrr
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 27 2023, 08:31 AM) *

QUOTE(hndyhrr @ Jun 26 2023, 09:22 PM) *

PM me your info, I can drop a set out.
-Mark

PS Goof off and rags you can throw away work pretty well. You will just need to wipe down with denatured alcohol before install.

Thanks, I found spacer material at auto glass place here in town.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.