Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Play in steering shaft
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
peteinjp
Have an early single stalk column and there is some play in the shaft right behind the steering wheel. Up/ down and side to side. It’s not major but a little annoying. Looking at the parts catalog it seems I’m looking at a plastic bushing. I’m sure the P.O. replaced it but thinking I maybe it can be shimmed or to print a new part.

In preparation for fixing it- what’s does this thing look like? It’s NLA according to the bird….

Pete
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Have had little problem with play in the early steering shafts. We HAVE the factory bearings, but maybe check the tightness of all of the mounting bolts

QUOTE(peteinjp @ Jun 27 2023, 05:25 AM) *

Have an early single stalk column and there is some play in the shaft right behind the steering wheel. Up/ down and side to side. It’s not major but a little annoying. Looking at the parts catalog it seems I’m looking at a plastic bushing. I’m sure the P.O. replaced it but thinking I maybe it can be shimmed or to print a new part.

In preparation for fixing it- what’s does this thing look like? It’s NLA according to the bird….

Pete

peteinjp
Thanks. the bottom bolts are tight. Is it a bearing in the shaft or a bushing? PET describes it as a bushing....

Pete

stownsen914
Is it rotational play or side to side slop? If side to side, there is a plastic bushing in there if I'm recalling correctly. I may be mixing up early 911 and 914 steering columns, but I believe both have the bushing. Some replace the plastic with a metal version, a 928 part number I believe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.