Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tar/flooring removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bajafreaks
Is there a trick/secret method to removing the factory tar coating on the floor pans?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(bajafreaks @ Jun 28 2023, 06:22 PM) *

Is there a trick/secret method to removing the factory tar coating on the floor pans?

I saw a cool method by placing bags of dry ice for 15 minute the stuff just popped right off. Never tried it but I will next time.
Jett
I used a heat gun and scraper, some people use dry ice.
JeffBowlsby
I vote for dry ice. Easiest and most effective method.
Justinp71

Oh man there is a better way! See link below-

Personally I just have an air chisel that worked pretty well too.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...method-yet.html
Justinp71
Question I have is what do you paint it with? Sounds like Por-15 is overkill... I am thinking of doing some grey epoxy.
r_towle
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 28 2023, 07:57 PM) *

QUOTE(bajafreaks @ Jun 28 2023, 06:22 PM) *

I saw a cool method by placing bags of dry ice for 15 minute the stuff just popped right off. Never tried it but I will next time.

Please film it and show us.

Last time I did it was heat gun, hand chisels, scapers, screw drivers, wire brush on drill.
Hours and hours of cleaning up.
Then lacquer thinner
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jun 28 2023, 04:12 PM) *

Question I have is what do you paint it with? Sounds like Por-15 is overkill... I am thinking of doing some grey epoxy.

I’m wondering the same.

I was thinking of something like Eastwood’s grey epoxy primer.
Then ???
Then install my noico sound deadener.

What says the 914world brain trust?
rjames
Might have been overkill, but after removing all the rust I used Por15. Can be applied with a brush but ends up looking like you sprayed it. Since my car is black I went with black Por15.
914outlaw
Found this online . Cheers beer.gif
Tar removal with dry ice post. slap.gif
bajafreaks
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jun 28 2023, 05:11 PM) *

Oh man there is a better way! See link below-

Personally I just have an air chisel that worked pretty well too.

Ive got a multi tool I'll give that a try. Thanks
Root_Werks
Something I'd like to do to my 914 at some point as well. Thinking ice and popping off sounds cleaner than heat gun.
johnhora
here are some pics from one I did long time ago via regular heat gun and chisel method...worked fine just takes a little time a patience...a little heat and comes right up...also it's an inexpensive method
it was also a study in weight saving for tracked 914s...see the 5 gal bucket...have the weight somewhere

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

930cabman
Assuming this stuff (tar like crap) and the underside is sound, why not leave things alone? It may have some sound dampening characteristics.
bajafreaks
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jun 29 2023, 11:29 AM) *

Assuming this stuff (tar like crap) and the underside is sound, why not leave things alone? It may have some sound dampening characteristics.

Because my pan has surface rust and needs to be treated.
JmuRiz
Or to install the inner long stiffening kit...
Justinp71
Incase it was overlooked, multi-tool! I will add a photo this time.

Read this post they said it worked very well.

Click to view attachment
rjames
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jun 29 2023, 11:29 AM) *

It has some sound dampening characteristics, but removing it is a great way to remove weight, and you can use something lighter like dynamat instead.

I didn't really notice a big difference when I removed the tar in my car and decided not to install any sound deadening material under the carpet.

You also can't be sure if there's any rust underneath without removing the stuff first. Even if it looks ok, there's often some rust in areas, like around the pedal cluster or around the e-brake.
pek771
I pulled all my sound deadener out with an electric chisel. Then. I brushed on some acoustic treatment (second skin, audio treatment and sound deadener) which I mixed with little bubbles the fiberglass guys use on boats. Then I sprayed everything with bedliner.

Removing the tar stuff sucks, no matter how you do it.
VaccaRabite
I have used the dry ice method and it is AWESOME!

You don't need to let the bag of dry ice sit for 15 minutes. About 5 does the trick. Then just smack it with a hammer and the tar just shatters. Use a scraper to get under it and it comes up in sheets. And there are no fumes you are breathing in and no gummy tools. Takes about the same amount of time as a torch and a scraper.

Bonus, on a hot sticky day, for once work on your car has a cooling effect!

The downside is that you do find a store selling dry ice - which can be a pain, and you have the do the whole job at once or go buy more dry ice.

Zach
Montreal914
Have done it with the Fein tool before but I am curious about the dry ice option.

Is this the type of dry ice one would used?

Click to view attachment

And if so, what quantity would be needed for the whole job?

Thanks! smile.gif
VaccaRabite
That kind would be fine. The kind I used was in chunks and I bought it from a grocery store. Either way.

I think I got about 5lbs and I was enough to do the floor of a BMW 2002 (same tar, a little more of it). It may have been 10lbs - I don't recall. Once you buy it keep it in a cooler. Even so - you are now on the clock. Get to work!

I did planned segments. I put the ice in 2 segments. Move one segment to the next open space and remove the tar under it. when that was done keep moving to the next. That way to are always cooling 2 segments. The dry ice will freeze the tar har and make it very brittle. If its gummy at all, let the ice sit longer. But don't let the ice sit for too long or else you are just wasting BTUs as the ice evaporates.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.