Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission mounting ears
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ClayPerrine
Anyone know if the transmission mounting ears can be welded back onto the tail housing?
Cano
Isn't that magnesium? Not sure, but I would think that would just catch on fire if welding is attempted.
Crazyhippy
I have seen it done.

Held up w/ a v-8 in front of it too.
URY914
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Aug 15 2005, 09:34 AM)
Anyone know if the transmission mounting ears can be welded back onto the tail housing?

How did it break off?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Aug 15 2005, 09:34 AM)

Yes, they can. People weld mag all the time. Seen a ton of them over the years. Might be more cost effective to simply replace the cover, however. The Cap'n
dlee1967
Clay, why bother? There are plenty of spares around. DLee
JFJ914
Mine have been welded by a DPO.
Aaron Cox
plenty o tailshift ones running around... even with a sideshifter....you can use the functionless tail hsifter housing.,.,,,,

seen it on a brumos 914 race car laugh.gif
hmeeder
agree.gif

Someone here has a spare, I'm sure.

Hell, I have a spare from a tailshifter you can have for the price of shipping, as long as you can live with the tailshift shaft dangling there like a dead dick.
Series9
My welding reference book says magnesium can be TIG welded, but that the welding should be accomplished outside due to the risk of fire. Filings and magnesium dust should be kept away from the area to help prevent the part from lighting up.

As we all know, magnesium supports its own combustion, so if it catches fire, stand back and let it burn.

Send it to me. I'll give it a shot.
mightyohm
My car has a welded ear. It has held up fine (so far).
Mueller
make sure you preheat it with your oxy-act. touch first......actually you can use gas weld it as well.....

outside with the proper exting. agent is a good idea smile.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE (hmeeder @ Aug 15 2005, 02:56 PM)
as long as you can live with the tailshift shaft dangling there like a dead dick.

Us married guys thank you for that visual.... cool_shades.gif
ChrisFoley
I welded a crack in one ear on my freshly rebuilt race box just a month ago.
It requires pure magnesium filler wire. Don't gas weld it, TIG it. The technique is similar to welding aluminum but a little more difficult, using AC.
Grind a groove with a carbide mounted in a die grinder. Use a stainless wire brush to keep the weld area clean. While welding it may fume a bit of white powdery stuff. This is normal.
Be carefull not to overheat the weld zone. The puddle will have no strength and drop a snot which may catch fire.
The casting has a lot of porosity which will end up inside the weld. You have to grind it out after welding and reweld in order to have any decent strength. This may be required a couple of times.
Wild 6
I broke both of the ears off of my 915 gearbox. I took it to a Porsche shop who then took it to a boat shop for welding. It turns out that the boat shops weld aluminum and magnesium all the time. It's held up ever since.

Andy
ClayPerrine
I actually didn't break one. I got a tailhousing with a broken ear. I was just wondering if it was hard to fix. I don't know anyone who can weld magnesium, so I thought I would ask.

Red-Beard
Find a type I shop. They will know where to get mag welded.
ChrisFoley
If you can't find anyone local, ship it to me and I'll weld it for you. welder.gif
Katmanken
Both ears of mine were broken and welded. I probably don't want to know what happened that made that repair necessary ..... blink.gif

Also had to have a bellhousing crack welded later. I used a local VW Bug shop. Ask if they do MAG.

Ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.