Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: thermal transfer paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfinegan
I am thinking about painting the case, valve covers and heads with a thermal dispersion coating to get rid of some heat more efficiently . Has anyone tried this before?
https://www.cerakote.com/shop/cerakote-coat...7/transfer-grey. Grey is ok, but would like black or silver
35 bucks for a sampler....
Van B
I'm going to do a lot of cerakote air cure on my car too. Transfer grey is their color of choice for high emissivity (absorbs radiant energy) and piston coat is the low emissivity reflects coating of choice.

That said, if you search by high emissivity, you'll see that they rate the blacks as a good heat transfer coating.
Montreal914
popcorn[1].gif
rfinegan
Charcoal thermal transfer paint from Cerakote is one the way (air cure) this is going on the OUTSIDE of the case heads and cylinders. Other accents will be Black VHT paint. A little effort to make this one look Pretty(ier) and hopefully a little cooler running

MORE to Come....

Here is a pic of the color f rom the CeraKote Gallery (not mine)Click to view attachment
Shivers
“35 bucks for a sampler....”

Please let us know how much product It actually takes to coat those parts.
A few degrees is a few degrees, especially where I live. blowup.gif
rfinegan
Paint arrived today(fast shipping)
Now I need more Acetone (cleaner) and about 6 cans of brake clean and a roll of painters tape....

930cabman
I recall researching this many years ago, and if memory serves (it often doesn't) black anodize was the best for thermal transfer.

idea.gif
rfinegan
I am happy with the way the Cerakote went on and how it covered.I am liking the color too. The prep was pain staking as the cylinder still felt sticky like a wax. The acetone and a deep bristle brush seem to take care of that. And now to wait 5 days for curing ....Cheers

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Van B
So that’s transfer grey? It does look nice!
worn
QUOTE(rfinegan @ Jul 10 2023, 10:52 AM) *

I am thinking about painting the case, valve covers and heads with a thermal dispersion coating to get rid of some heat more efficiently . Has anyone tried this before?
https://www.cerakote.com/shop/cerakote-coat...7/transfer-grey. Grey is ok, but would like black or silver
35 bucks for a sampler....

They told me in more than one physics class that black radiates best. That may be a generalization though that doesn't always apply. I like the matte look.
rfinegan
WOOHOO...I got the case Cerakoted today. The 4 oz was just enough to get the job done (less the trans side of the case) Had I not been so generous on the heads and cylinders , there is more that enough in the sample 4oz size. I did use an old set of jugs to keep the paint of the register so I did not have to mask...This works out well..pics to follow in 25 hours cure time or sooo....

-Cheers
rfinegan
here: Charcoal gray transfer CeraKote

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Looks good but I’m not sold on the value. I’m guessing it’s incremental compared to a properly placed oil cooler with a fan pack.
rfinegan
Value= 40.00 bucks for a cool paint job that look good and will last better than engine paint at about the same cost...
Bonus= possible reduction of 10 to 50 degrees (so I read on web articles )

So I am in for either....

I think Ham Heads have a thermal coating on the outside of the heads too as well as ceramic coatings in the chambers...so there must be benefits other then looks

Thanks for the support and feedback...external cooler is next if temps creep..but for now...cheep and EZ and I think looks pretty good too

-Cheers

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 16 2023, 07:49 PM) *

Looks good but I’m not sold on the value. I’m guessing it’s incremental compared to a properly placed oil cooler with a fan pack.
cassmcentee
Woke up this morning with a thought regarding heat retention...
Been cleaning my split case halves for over a week now.
Every time I think that they are clean (exterior) I am able to draw more grease/grime out and have to go at it again.
Sort of like cleaning a dirty sponge, I honestly can't believe how porous these cases are.
Doing the coating as you are makes so much sense!
By sealing the case with the coating, you are effectively sealing the pores in the "Sponge"
Now all of the areas where oil/grease would collect within the case faces are greatly reduced. Over time, build up will be greatly reduced and thus heat retention will be reduced as well.
Thank you for this post as I am going to do the coating now as well!
mb911
QUOTE(cassmcentee @ Jul 17 2023, 04:17 AM) *

Woke up this morning with a thought regarding heat retention...
Been cleaning my split case halves for over a week now.
Every time I think that they are clean (exterior) I am able to draw more grease/grime out and have to go at it again.
Sort of like cleaning a dirty sponge, I honestly can't believe how porous these cases are.
Doing the coating as you are makes so much sense!
By sealing the case with the coating, you are effectively sealing the pores in the "Sponge"
Now all of the areas where oil/grease would collect within the case faces are greatly reduced. Over time, build up will be greatly reduced and thus heat retention will be reduced as well.
Thank you for this post as I am going to do the coating now as well!

Why not just they’re clear? I have a bunch of air cure on my -6. Works well and super tough.
cassmcentee

Why not just they’re clear? I have a bunch of air cure on my -6. Works well and super tough.

You make a good point!
The clear would achieve the grime/grit barrier but not the faster heat dissipation.
Back in the 90's I had Jet Hot Coatings in AZ, ceramic coat in mat black, the exhaust for my 1946 Indian Chief (1200cc with a 40mm Mikuni)
Made an amazing difference in kicking the heat away.
mb911
QUOTE(cassmcentee @ Jul 17 2023, 07:44 AM) *

You make a good point!
The clear would achieve the grime/grit barrier but not the faster heat dissipation.
Back in the 90's I had Jet Hot Coatings in AZ, ceramic coat in mat black, the exhaust for my 1946 Indian Chief (1200cc with a 40mm Mikuni)
Made an amazing difference in kicking the heat away.

No they have a clear that is designed for what your doing
cassmcentee
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jul 17 2023, 12:14 PM) *

No they have a clear that is designed for what your doing

Ohhh!
Good call
Only it won't hide all of my grinding scars from cleaning up the casting rolleyes.gif
worn
QUOTE(rfinegan @ Jul 16 2023, 05:00 PM) *

Value= 40.00 bucks for a cool paint job that look good and will last better than engine paint at about the same cost...
Bonus= possible reduction of 10 to 50 degrees (so I read on web articles )

So

Cool looking paint is just as important as cool running paint. If you get both, bonusaroo.
TJB/914
popcorn[1].gif

I like Thermal Coatings pray.gif

When rebuilding my motor for more HP back in 2018 I had my long time high school friend who owned a powder coating business do my (4) cylinders with a Matt Black finish. I think it was a Hot Coat Type Ceramic Thermal application.

His Harley Davisson Motorcycle clients suggested I do mine the same as their thermal coatings. If good for Motorcycle Old Timers restoring vintage bikes why not my 914 pray.gif

Tom It works, my 914 never overheats. popcorn[1].gif
TJB/914
smilie_pokal.gif

Better Photo's
nivekdodge
JUst a note. A metal container and a $20 heat gun will suffice to bake the h series with a strategically placed meat thermometer

Kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.