Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.2 Engine fire! How to clean.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mate914@gmail.com
I just had an engine fire. Car was warm pulled out and saw flames out the rear view mirror. My Element did not work. Next one did but did not stop fire. 40 year old fire extinguisher did the job!
What is the best solution for removing the extinguisher residue from the PMO carburetors and the engine? Could have been much worst! Saved the car!

Matt flag.gif
Mate914@gmail.com
Click to view attachment
mb911
Wash right away. Make sure nothing goes down the carb throat and if by mistake it does vacuum that out right away. I would be using dish soap myself
BeatNavy
That sucks, Matt. No help here other than I hope you get it sorted out without major problems.
JeffBowlsby
What’s the chemistry of the fire extinguisher used? I thought a standard FE left an acidic residue? Find out and use the correct cleaner and fast!
Mate914@gmail.com
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jul 15 2023, 06:28 PM) *

What’s the chemistry of the fire extinguisher used? I thought a standard FE left an acidic residue? Find out and use the correct cleaner and fast!

I have very limited service here and cannot research it. I have to use multiple hotspots to get these messages out. I used an element extinguisher and I also use a standard camper extinguisher about 40 years old, not sure it’s composition.

Matt flag.gif
Mate914@gmail.com
Going for dishwasher, soap and water rinse now. Wish me luck.
nditiz1
Don't know the best method, glad it was saved, unhappy to hear 1 element didn't do the job. I am running them in my cars.
mepstein
Drop the engine and trans and start cleaning. Without knowing the right thing to do, I would probably use dawn dish soap and water with baking soda mixed in. I would probably take the engine down to a long block and clean each piece individually and get under the fiberglass shroud. Then wipe everything down with wd40 to give all the exposed aluminum and steel some protection.
Mate914@gmail.com
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 15 2023, 06:56 PM) *

Drop the engine and trans and start cleaning. Without knowing the right thing to do, I would probably use dawn dish soap and water with baking soda mixed in. I would probably take the engine down to a long block and clean each piece individually and get under the fiberglass shroud. Then wipe everything down with wd40 to give all the exposed aluminum and steel some protection.

Thank you.
Matt
bkrantz
From the Guardian Fire service web site:

Dry chemical fire extinguishers use firefighting agents such as monoammonium phosphate, sodium bicarbonate, and potassium bicarbonate. These leave behind a corrosive powder, so it’s important to clean up dry chemical fire extinguisher residue quickly, especially if it has come in contact with metal surfaces.

Vacuum or sweep up loose debris.
Spray stuck-on residue with isopropyl alcohol diluted 50 percent with warm water. Let the solution sit for several minutes, and then wipe with a damp rag.
To neutralize sodium bicarbonate and potassium bicarbonate residue, apply a solution of 98 percent hot water and 2 percent vinegar. After several minutes, wipe the area with a damp rag.
To neutralize monoammonium phosphate residue, apply a baking soda and hot water paste. After several minutes, wipe the area with a damp rag.
Give the affected area a final wash with soap and water, and then rinse clean. Use fans to help the spot dry quickly.

That matches my memory that dry chem stuff is chemically basic, and corrosive--and needs to be neutralized with a mild acid.
Mate914@gmail.com
I rinsed good today..
Tow home then strip down.
Thanks for you help guys.
Matt flag.gif
Ottomotion
What was the root cause? Line, fitting...?
r_towle
That sucks!
I would follow the sage advice here based upon experience.
Shivers
So sorry.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Ottomotion @ Jul 16 2023, 01:35 AM) *

What was the root cause? Line, fitting...?

As soon as I read the thread title, I said “carbs.” In its original form, the 3.2 doesn’t mix fuel and air with an ignition source until the combustion chamber.

Got to be a leaky line and an errant spark.
mate914
I got the car cleaned off as best as I could at the location I was in. I just got back with the car on the trailer and took a few photos. I am now going to do the baking soda and vinegar wash downs. I will be dropping the engine tomorrow morning. I think the fire started inside the air cleaner assembly.

Matt flag.gif
mate914
Click to view attachment
mate914
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mate914
Click to view attachment
914dave
Matt,
I really sorry to see this. I hope it’s not too much to sort out.
mate914
QUOTE(914dave @ Jul 16 2023, 06:27 PM) *

Matt,
I really sorry to see this. I hope it’s not too much to sort out.

Thanks Dave, Can I please ask you about the fire extinguisher system you have installed in your car? Did you custom build it or did you order the parts from somewhere?

Matt flag.gif
OrangeBones
Matt - Glad you are ok! Car can be fixed and best of luck. Agree with Nick as I’m running elements in my cars it’s scary to know it didn’t work!
Dion
That sux Matt. Glad you are alright. I’m sure you’ll get it sorted. Not what anyone here wants to see.
Looks like plenty of good advice given.
Best of luck!
mate914
QUOTE(OrangeBones @ Jul 16 2023, 07:40 PM) *

Matt - Glad you are ok! Car can be fixed and best of luck. Agree with Nick as I’m running elements in my cars it’s scary to know it didn’t work!

Thanks Travis.
The element I have in my car almost lit, but the sparker on the Element broke off.
I was only 100 yards from privet pond with Family and friends. My Sister had her Element in her car. That put out the carb fire. After the element ran out, engine compartment light and rear trunk seals caught back on fire. I had to use my hands and a towel to keep flams from taking off again. Finally a old camper fire extinguisher finish off the burning plastic.
Maybe getting a bigger Element or two.

Matt flag.gif
vitamin914
QUOTE(mate914 @ Jul 17 2023, 08:22 AM) *

Thanks Travis.
The element I have in my car almost lit, but the sparker on the Element broke off.
I was only 100 yards from privet pond with Family and friends. My Sister had her Element in her car. That put out the carb fire. After the element ran out, engine compartment light and rear trunk seals caught back on fire. I had to use my hands and a towel to keep flams from taking off again. Finally a old camper fire extinguisher finish off the burning plastic.

Matt flag.gif

OMG Matt... what a mess, thankfully you put it out it and the 914 didn't burn to the ground.

I have the small Element in both my 914s. I was sold on the fact that there would be no mess like with the old fashioned dry chemical. I have always wondered how well, or if, they would work on a car fire. Terrible that you had a disaster happen to get first hand experience with them... I now have to question getting the larger Element or giving up on these things completely. Did you lose faith in the Element? Would you still consider using them again?
Root_Werks
Some very quick action on your part saved that 914!

Also looks like you cleaned things up nicely.

Reminds me to check my fire extinguisher in my 914....you never know.
mate914
The one element that worked did its job. Fire was out, but metal was hot. Plastic reignited! Need more time out of Element.

I will be buying two large Elements and one car unit for engine and front trunk.

Matt flag.gif

QUOTE(vitamin914 @ Jul 17 2023, 10:35 AM) *

QUOTE(mate914 @ Jul 17 2023, 08:22 AM) *

Thanks Travis.

Matt flag.gif

OMG Matt... what a mess, thankfully you put it out it and the 914 didn't burn to the ground.

I have the small Element in both my 914s. I was sold on the fact that there would be no mess like with the old fashioned dry chemical. I have always wondered how well, or if, they would work on a car fire. Terrible that you had a disaster happen to get first hand experience with them... I now have to question getting the larger Element or giving up on these things completely. Did you lose faith in the Element? Would you still consider using them again?

Root_Werks
Matt,

You talking about the element that I see folks mount on the engine lid? The tube things? I might make that investment.

-Dan
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jul 17 2023, 10:12 AM) *

Matt,

You talking about the element that I see folks mount on the engine lid? The tube things? I might make that investment.

-Dan

I think that is the blaze cut extinguisher.

vitamin914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 17 2023, 10:17 AM) *

Matt,

-Dan

Interesting concept that it lives in the engine bay and activates automatically...
If it goes off and you are unaware that it did, then what?

https://www.blazecutusa.com

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0993/9986...df?v=1649192945

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=295071

I still like old school aim and spray too.
mate914
That is not what I was talking about. Thank you very much Clay for pointing this out.
That is a very cool concept using modern technology in our cars.
Again, I thank you very much Clay for pointing this out. @ClayPerrine

Matt flag.gif

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 17 2023, 11:17 AM) *

Matt,

-Dan

mate914
Looks like I need some new spark plug wires and a carb rebuild kit. Replace a few electric wires and reinstall.
Click to view attachment
mate914
I will pull the engine shroud and make sure all extinguisher residue is removed. I have 3/4 of a gallon of Gibbs and I will use that to spray on the engine.
Click to view attachment
StarBear
QUOTE(Mate914@gmail.com @ Jul 15 2023, 07:30 PM) *

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jul 15 2023, 06:28 PM) *

I have very limited service here and cannot research it. I have to use multiple hotspots to get these messages out. I used an element extinguisher and I also use a standard camper extinguisher about 40 years old, not sure it’s composition.

Matt flag.gif

Had thought about getting an Element (convenient) but multiple posters had indicated they don’t work under the tins. Got a 5-lb Purple K instead.
Craigers17
Sorry to see that this has happened to you....really sucks. On the bright side, it looks like you were able to extinguish the fire before it did major damage. That said, now that you've taken the engine out and broken it down a bit, do you have any clues as to what went wrong to cause the fire? Random backfire through the carb that ignited? As a fellow carb'd 914 owner, this scenario is always in the back of my mind. I hope you're able to replace a minimal amount of parts and get it back on the road. I know this process has been a total pain in the ass.
mate914
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Jul 17 2023, 05:01 PM) *

Sorry to see that this has happened to you....really sucks. On the bright side, it looks like you were able to extinguish the fire before it did major damage. That said, now that you've taken the engine out and broken it down a bit, do you have any clues as to what went wrong to cause the fire? Random backfire through the carb that ignited? As a fellow carb'd 914 owner, this scenario is always in the back of my mind. I hope you're able to replace a minimal amount of parts and get it back on the road. I know this process has been a total pain in the ass.

Backfire through the carb, maybe a little rich.

Thank you, Matt flag.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(mate914 @ Jul 18 2023, 09:28 AM) *

Sorry to see this ,well done on the quick action to put the fire out,little comfort to you but could have been a hell of a lot worse sad.gif .
Looks like the LH side carb may have flooded and ignited with a back fire,did the filter melt ?,only asking as have carbed 6 and I'am sure that from your bad experience others would be interested to know .
Hope you get it sorted ,cheers.
mate914
Yes, the filter did melt. Just as I pulled out, I noticed a cylinder stop firing. I looked in the rearview mirror and saw flames coming out of the engine lid.

Mat

QUOTE(porschetub @ Jul 17 2023, 05:31 PM) *

QUOTE(mate914 @ Jul 18 2023, 09:28 AM) *

Sorry to see this ,well done on the quick action to put the fire out,little comfort to you but could have been a hell of a lot worse sad.gif .
Looks like the LH side carb may have flooded and ignited with a back fire,did the filter melt ?,only asking as have carbed 6 and I'am sure that from your bad experience others would be interested to know .
Hope you get it sorted ,cheers.

mate914
I got lucky!Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.