Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: After 7 months of assembly and finally getting it licensed...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Type 47
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

She sat in boxes, the engine on a shelf, and the car on my lift for 10 years.

The thinking was to put the 2.0 original to the car back in, which has 62k miles on it. We had mega tuning issues, so when no progress was made I took it to a very well known Porsche shop here in the St. Louis area.

It turns out that letting the engine sit for 10 years was not a great idea and it looks like there is at least a valve train issue.

So, once again I'm looking for advise. And, just for the record, this car would not have gone from boxes to license plates without the help of so many of you on this forum!

I'm going to go pick up the car after they complete a 4 wheel alignment and then figure out (with your help) what to do next.

I'm definitely going to rebuild an engine.

What are my options????

behind door #1 in the original 2.0 engine that's in the car. GC000243, an early 75' that matches the time of assembly for the car, which was 8/27/1974. Originality is not a concern for this car...at least not now.

behind door # 2 is a long block, GA006291, that was sitting next to the GC engine on the shelf; also a 2.0.

behind door # 3 is 1.8, EC031289, which may have had a bid bore kit put on it at some point in it's life.

I'm leaning towards rebuilding the GA engine.

At this point, I just want the car to be a reliable driver. Go to some PCA events, car shows, and top off drives.

This car will never be autoX'd. I have a 600hp track car that I've put nearly 15k track miles on 13 different tracks over the last 20 years. Need for speed: check.

so should I build a 2056 or just do a rebuild????
r_towle
Do you want todo the work?
If yes, get new heads…unless you have a shop that really knows how todo it.

New piston rings at a minimum
Bearings, seals, redo the oil pump, etc

If you want it done, I might suggest PMBperformance.

I would use the motor that is correct for the car….the one that is in there.

Rich
r_towle
Hmmm
Eric has an engine exchange program….

Swap the GA motor for a new build from Eric
Put original motor on shelf to be sold with cat.
Bolt in new motor, drive and smile before winter hits you
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 17 2023, 10:19 PM) *

Hmmm
Eric has an engine exchange program….

Swap the GA motor for a new build from Eric
Put original motor on shelf to be sold with car if you sell later
Bolt in new motor, drive and smile before winter hits you

agree.gif
930cabman
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 17 2023, 08:14 PM) *

Do you want todo the work?
If yes, get new heads…unless you have a shop that really knows how todo it.

New piston rings at a minimum
Bearings, seals, redo the oil pump, etc

If you want it done, I might suggest PMBperformance.

I would use the motor that is correct for the car….the one that is in there.

Rich

agree.gif

New heads for sure and while you are in there new 96mm pistons/cylinders, bearings, seals, Schadek 26mm oil pump
JamesJ
2056 with new cylinder heads & bigger valves, all new internals with Elgin or Raby(Webcam), balanced & blueprinted
emerygt350
I would go with the PMB exchange in a heartbeat if I had the money.
Type 47
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jul 18 2023, 11:48 AM) *

the PMB exchange is IMHO super pricey. It may be just the way things are working out with inflation and hyper P car inflation.

Current thinking is with a 62K motor, new heads may be just what it needs.

Get it home, put the engine on the ground, pull the heads off, go from there.

Oh, also...i've mentioned this before; helping with 90% of the work is my son, an ASE mechanic, and remotely my other son a Porsche trained Gold Meister tech, so we can do the rebuild if needed.
emerygt350
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Jul 18 2023, 08:11 PM) *

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jul 18 2023, 11:48 AM) *

the PMB exchange is IMHO super pricey. It may be just the way things are working out with inflation and hyper P car inflation.

Current thinking is with a 62K motor, new heads may be just what it needs.

Get it home, put the engine on the ground, pull the heads off, go from there.

Oh, also...i've mentioned this before; helping with 90% of the work is my son, an ASE mechanic, and remotely my other son a Porsche trained Gold Meister tech, so we can do the rebuild if needed.

Well, that might change things. I thought you were looking for plug and play. If you want to do your own work... Sky's the limit. I am adding 96mm pistons/cylinders/etc as a top end stuff. Local builder is doing my heads at the moment. Valve job. After I put it back together I will give it a go. At that point I will decide if I want to stroke it. I am sure I will do the bottom end next year.
targa72e
sounds like you have 3 motors to try fitting in the car so you can drive. Then take your time and figure out what you want long term. Any more details on what your Valve train issue is?
I am curious because I had a 911 motor sit in my garage for 20years because of spun rod bearing. Took it apart and replaced the bearings, seal and crank with std/std re-assembled and all was good.

john
Type 47
QUOTE(targa72e @ Jul 18 2023, 07:43 PM) *

sounds like you have 3 motors to try fitting in the car so you can drive. Then take your time and figure out what you want long term. Any more details on what your Valve train issue is?
I am curious because I had a 911 motor sit in my garage for 20years because of spun rod bearing. Took it apart and replaced the bearings, seal and crank with std/std re-assembled and all was good.

john

waiting on getting the car back from the shop. As soon as I can we will be pulling the engine and popping off the head with bad compression.

I will keep you posted.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.