Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: clutch cable guide wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EJP914
Cleaning up some things under my car.

Noticed the cable guide wheel on the side of the transaxle is a mess of grease and dirt.

Is the groove on the edge of wheel where the cable rests supposed to be greased/ lubed or is to remain dry?

Thanks

EJP914
Steve
QUOTE(EJP914 @ Jul 19 2023, 01:11 PM) *

Cleaning up some things under my car.

Noticed the cable guide wheel on the side of the transaxle is a mess of grease and dirt.

Is the groove on the edge of wheel where the cable rests supposed to be greased/ lubed or is to remain dry?

Thanks

EJP914

Per the factory manual, the cable is supposed to be lubed, but there is also a rubber boot on the cable to prevent dirt from sticking to the cable and wheel. If you don't have the boot, I would not grease the cable.
Mikey914
The cable doesn’t need to be lubricated. The bushing on the inside of the wheel needs to be.
Here are all the parts, but you probably don’t need the whole kit.
Here’s the search for all related parts
https://914rubber.com/search/?q=Cable+&pPgNo=2
Steve
From the factory manual, but most people that I know of including myself do not lubricate the cable since it attracts dirt and causes premature failure.
Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
Over the years, I’ve had several clutch cables deteriorate where the cable wraps around the wheel. Sand and dirt get in between the wire strands and cause abrasion.
Good idea to check before a long trip before leaving.
EJP914
All of my parts are in good shape. Dont need to replace anything. Its just all packed with grease and dirt up. It cleaned up real well
Sounds like all are saying lube the cable and leave the guide wheel groove alone or am I not reading this right?
EJP914
EJP914
Error in last reply. Do not grease the cable appears to be standard practice.
Thx for the replies
ctc911ctc
replacing the Clevis is the most important part of maintaining this portion of the car - the factory clevis will break, the one supplied by 914rubber will not fail.

Learn from my flatbed experience! biggrin.gif
brant
I always grease the cable and the wheel
Not hard to clean up every few years as maintenance
38 years of this so far on multiple cars
I don’t believe this causes premature wear. At least that’s my experience
But I do clean and repack about every other year
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Jul 20 2023, 08:20 AM) *

replacing the Clevis is the most important part of maintaining this portion of the car - the factory clevis will break, the one supplied by 914rubber will not fail.

Learn from my flatbed experience! biggrin.gif

You should probably read this thread on the clutch clevis:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=364341

The factory original clevis is NLA and plastic/nylon. I have not seen one in years.

The one 914Rubber sells is fine, but not quite optimal.

Just my $.02
Spoke
It seemed weird that the clutch cable and pulley would be exposed to the elements so I printed a cover to protect the pulley and cable.
930cabman
Printed

kids these days screwy.gif
Literati914
I like that Spoke ^^ - with a bit of refinement I bet it would be a good seller if put on the market .. cause I think lots of owners feel the same about it being exposed.

peteinjp
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 22 2023, 09:15 AM) *

Printed

I printed my pulley-haha. It’s actually a cam to increase the travel of the throw out lever.

Click to view attachment

Love the cover Spoke. Might have to give that a shot. What material is it? I’m worried about my ASA pulley losing shape when hot. Also considering printing a console cover since my shaft comes out the back o the one I have now leaving the shift components a little exposed.

Pete
DennisV
QUOTE(peteinjp @ Jul 23 2023, 06:24 AM) *

What material is it? I’m worried about my ASA pulley losing shape when hot. Also considering printing a console cover since my shaft comes out the back o the one I have now leaving the shift components a little exposed.

Pete

If your printer works with ABS, that might be good enough. It is thermal resistant up to 85C (185F). I've used it on some car things, but nothing that close to the engine or transmission.
Spoke
QUOTE(peteinjp @ Jul 23 2023, 09:24 AM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 22 2023, 09:15 AM) *

Printed

I printed my pulley-haha. It’s actually a cam to increase the travel of the throw out lever.

Click to view attachment

Love the cover Spoke. Might have to give that a shot. What material is it? I’m worried about my ASA pulley losing shape when hot. Also considering printing a console cover since my shaft comes out the back o the one I have now leaving the shift components a little exposed.

Pete

I use PETG for all my LED printing. It's not as temperature stable as ABS but it seems to have higher layer-layer adhesion.
peteinjp
Thanks guys- good to know. I'll just carry tools and hopefully it won't be a problem. Just not interested in laying down on the hot pavement in the middle of nowhere.....

ASA has slightly higher heat deflection than PETG at around 93c(200f) My engine runs at 110c(230f) so I imagine it would be ok. I want to order some nylon for these types of parts.

Pete
brant
Your exhaust temps are what to worry about more than engine or oil temps
peteinjp
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 26 2023, 12:38 PM) *

Your exhaust temps are what to worry about more than engine or oil temps

True- I figured if Spoke's cover was holding up then I'd be ok but I do have the 6 so it may be closer to the exhaust.

Pete
Geezer914
I purchased a pulley years ago from Tangerine Racing made from Delrin.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.