Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.2 carb engine fire running again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
porschetub
QUOTE(mate914 @ Jul 31 2023, 11:28 AM) *

PMO tech update
Floats need to be under 12 grams . The float I had that started fire is 15 grams.
Still pointing finger at float. Matt flag.gif .Click to view attachment

Certainly looks that way,honestly had no idea the were molded foam,assumed they would be hollow as the old style metal floats were on many older carbs ,my DCNV 36's were brass on my 1.8 engine .
Anyway the outcome would be the same if the float valves couldn't hold a seal,no mention of fuel pressure ? could be a key point if too high ?.
Cheers.
mate914
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jul 30 2023, 11:45 PM) *

QUOTE(mate914 @ Jul 31 2023, 11:28 AM) *

PMO tech update
Floats need to be under 12 grams . The float I had that started fire is 15 grams.
Still pointing finger at float. Matt flag.gif .Click to view attachment

Certainly looks that way,honestly had no idea the were molded foam,assumed they would be hollow as the old style metal floats were on many older carbs ,my DCNV 36's were brass on my 1.8 engine .
Anyway the outcome would be the same if the float valves couldn't hold a seal,no mention of fuel pressure ? could be a key point if too high ?.
Cheers.

Fuel pump is a Mallory 29256 Model 110 Fuel Pump 7psi. with regulator adjusted down to 5-6PSI . I will bump it down to 4-5 psi when setting floats this time because it is more of a street car than the old track car only it once was.

Matt flag.gif
nditiz1
Set the pressure to 3.5.

Also, I have never weighed my floats, not that you shouldn't, just that I assumed they work because they float. Lastly, when bench setting them, if you can, run fuel to them and get the floats (4) all on the sand blasted dot.
TomE
Big question with the float now is why did it crack and why does it hold fuel in it. Matt and I know the car very well and the previous owner. The car did sit for over two years in an unheated garage. It most likely evaporated the fuel that did surround the floats after a year or so. Running this garbage they call gas with corn liquor in it most likely did not help. We have seen and heard of countless small engine carburetors ruined from the ethanol especially on outboard motors. It may just simply be from being dry after sitting for so long. Probably a combination of things but definitely something to look out for.
porschetub
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Aug 1 2023, 01:20 AM) *

Set the pressure to 3.5

agree.gif lowered fuel pressure,new floats and needle/seat valves and all we be good ,@ that fuel pressure (5-6psi ) and the floats being heavy would most likely have overcome the float valves.
Hope you get it sorted ,cheers.
mate914
QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 5 2023, 06:58 PM) *

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Aug 1 2023, 01:20 AM) *

Set the pressure to 3.5

agree.gif lowered fuel pressure,new floats and needle/seat valves and all we be good ,@ that fuel pressure (5-6psi ) and the floats being heavy would most likely have overcome the float valves.
Hope you get it sorted ,cheers.

All parts changed and floats set @3.5psi. Going to start car tomorrow morning.
Thank you all for your help.

Matt
mate914
It runs. Have to rewire fuel pump due to removing engine relay board.
Have to fine tune carb adjustment and drive.
One glass window fuel level was slightly high and I will need to adjust.
Matt
mate914
Click to view attachment
This is it with car running. Why does it read so low?
mate914
Click to view attachment
Right side.
Click to view attachment
Fire side/left side/drivers side…..

Matt
porschetub
QUOTE(mate914 @ Aug 7 2023, 07:18 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Pull the gauge and check the inlet isn't blocked or restricted,not common to have an oil filled gauge to fail reason I mentioned the above,I have the same gauge.
Is the regulator in range for the lower pressure ? i'am running the silver Holley LP and its a bit fussy when you change pressure.
Reckon you may find out on a spirited drive your pressure is low otherwise change the gauge,cheers.
mate914
QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 7 2023, 01:17 AM) *

QUOTE(mate914 @ Aug 7 2023, 07:18 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Pull the gauge and check the inlet isn't blocked or restricted,not common to have an oil filled gauge to fail reason I mentioned the above,I have the same gauge.
Is the regulator in range for the lower pressure ? i'am running the silver Holley LP and its a bit fussy when you change pressure.
Reckon you may find out on a spirited drive your pressure is low otherwise change the gauge,cheers.

I will do. The gauge did read 3.5psi the first start then got lower every time I started car.
Matt
JmuRiz
Semi on-topic...had a rough running car that I barely got back into my garage. Was going to take it to my guy for a carb rebuild etc, tried to start it up to help with getting on a flatbed. I heard a gurgle and smelled fuel, seems like a stuck float, yikes, glad I noticed before it fired up.

Could have made a flambé out of my garage and cars.
mate914
Sounds like dizzy,cap/rotor, then carb. I got Konke (name of 3.2 short stroke with 46pmo's name, aka Mrs. Murphy in former life) running great. drove to work all week long. What a lion!
Matt

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Aug 15 2023, 06:43 PM) *

Semi on-topic...had a rough running car that I barely got back into my garage. Was going to take it to my guy for a carb rebuild etc, tried to start it up to help with getting on a flatbed. I heard a gurgle and smelled fuel, seems like a stuck float, yikes, glad I noticed before it fired up.

Could have made a flambé out of my garage and cars.

nditiz1
So we never found out why it flamed in the first place?
JmuRiz
Interesting, never had a spark issue before…might be a combo of issues from sitting too long. I’ll check the spark side too.
mate914
yes, the float. The float was out of spec.

Matt

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Aug 15 2023, 08:37 PM) *

So we never found out why it flamed in the first place?

Dion
Nice work Matt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.