Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Correct screws/washers for engine lid hinges
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
mcswiggs
Hi, a quick question;

What is the ‘correct’ screw/washer arrangement for attaching the engine lid hinges to the body?

I’m now sure if it’s a pair of hex headed screws or maybe it’s the socket caps I’ve got lurking in my parts box. The first thing I did back in 2018 was remove the lid and now it’s time to put it back on!
Cheers
mcswiggs
‘..not sure’ - not ‘now sure’…. Sorry.
mcswiggs
L-Jet914
QUOTE(mcswiggs @ Jul 23 2023, 03:43 AM) *

Here is what I have on my 74 1.8L.
L-Jet914

mcswiggs
QUOTE(L-Jet914 @ Jul 23 2023, 11:26 PM) *

Lovely, that’s perfect, thanks very much.
windforfun
I went with M6 SS cap screws, lock washers, & flat washes (all burr down). M6 IIRC. I like the cap screws because the Allen wrench seems to facilitate things. This is especially the case when there's no help.

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
FWIW. If you carefully extend the elongated bolt holes and make a slot of the hole, you just loosen the bolts enough to slip the lid out and off. A one person task. Takes seconds. Off and on. You never have to squeeze to get in and reef on the brackets on the firewall.
sbsix
Discovered my engine lid was slotted that way recently. Made it so much easier to take off and put back on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.