Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weber 40 IDF Spanish
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfinegan
While gently tapping the float pin out of the top plate off my Spanish Weber 40 IDF....the tension side of the casting that holds the float pin BROKE OFF.

Any chance of a successful repair? Solder? TIG? else

OR I'm looking for spare 40 IDF carbs for parts

Click to view attachment
rfinegan
top view of partClick to view attachment
nditiz1
I think I have a spare one you can have. Mine don't have those extra copper tubes. I don't think I have ever seen those in all my webers (6 or 7 sets). Is that a jet doctor kit?
Superhawk996
Die cast always dicey to fix. There is a very thin temperature zone between hot enough to flow a brazing rod and actually melting it into a blob.

Check out Aladdin 3 in 1 rod. It’s my go to for zinc / aluminium die cast.

Due to the critical nature of the float pivot and the long thin standoff that will be tough to control the heat, I’d say get a new top.
rfinegan
Yep , that s my DYI jet doctor in my 2056 thread...

if ya have a top..Im in..let me know I ll pm you

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jul 23 2023, 03:05 PM) *

I think I have a spare one you can have. Mine don't have those extra copper tubes. I don't think I have ever seen those in all my webers (6 or 7 sets). Is that a jet doctor kit?

rfinegan
The carb top from Nick is in my dunk it tank and will be back in service in no time..Than you @nditiz1
Im happy to return a favor if needed..your a great member and one of the good ones in the World

Best Regards

-Robert
r_towle
What do those copper tubes do?
Superhawk996
@nditiz1 . first.gif
nditiz1
Thanks for the kind words.

The copper tubes pull air higher up. Without them any dirt that collect on the top plate is sucked right into the idle jet.
rfinegan
poor mans idle jet Doctors (also viable from CB)https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/7557.htm

Same reason the main set stack was extended too
The jet stack on my 44 Italians (early) have the flush with the top main jet stacksClick to view attachment
MikeK
That’s great you got a new top. I’ve repaired that problem in the past by using a piece of stainless sheet metal. Cut it to the width of the cast boss. Put a little bend in one end to receive the float pivot, like a sickle shape. Cut a narrow kerf at the base of where the cast piece snapped and insert the stainless into the kerf until the ‘sickle’ is at the same height as the cast float pin holder. Mine was a pretty tight, press fit, but I could see how a tiny dab of JB would be an additional insurance.
MikeK
Click to view attachment
rfinegan
Great Idea for the repair!
Cleaned up the top and swapped out all the parts and made a template for the air cleaner hols out of a top gasket..
One more to do

Best regards

-Robert

PS:
That gold thing is a 40 cal bullet...also know as a 10mm. Perfect for setting the float level with gasket installed EZ
Click to view attachment
r_towle
QUOTE(rfinegan @ Jul 27 2023, 10:02 AM) *

poor mans idle jet Doctors (also viable from CB)https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/7557.htm

Same reason the main set stack was extended too
The jet stack on my 44 Italians (early) have the flush with the top main jet stacksClick to view attachment

Learn every day here.
I never thought there might be a solution for this problem.
I just remove/clean/replace
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.