Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel injection Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ILM914
Hello all, Can I take a complete fuel injection system from A 76 2.0 and use it on a 73/74 2.0 motor? Thank you , Joe
914sgofast2
Probably. However, the engine might be down on power since the 1976 models were tuned much leaner to pass the tougher smog emissions regulations for 1976. The federal standards for 1973-74 years were much easier to pass than those for 1976 because there was no need for a catalytic converter on the 1973-74 models. The engine wiring harness might have some small differences too because of warning lights and seat belt interlock systems. You should check with Jeff Bowlsy about the FI harness differences.
ILM914
thanks I have a 74 wire harness maybe I could use that ? thank you much
nditiz1
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Jul 27 2023, 10:22 AM) *

QUOTE(Rick986 @ Jul 27 2023, 12:49 PM) *

Just an FYI - wanted to offer it here before listing on BaT

aktion035.gif Wow beautiful car , GLWTS!

If the FI is complete it should just plug into the relay board and you should be fine.
914Sixer
Yes, IF you use everything from 76 system. The thermotime switch is is different and has different plug. Distributors are basiclly the same so not a problem there.
r_towle
Yes
JeffBowlsby
It should functionally work but doubt it will pass smog here in CA. Probably not a concern for you in NC.
ILM914
thank you everybody, so if I can get the whole system It should install correct ? Also someone mentioned it might be less powerful than if I use a 73/74 system? is that true? Thank you again fellow 914ers
ILM914
thank you everybody, so if I can get the whole system It should install correct ? Also someone mentioned it might be less powerful than if I use a 73/74 system? is that true? Thank you again fellow 914ers
r_towle
It can be modified.
Get it all.

Djet can support a 2.4 liter, about 160 hp

You will learn how to tune it
Porschef
Shouldn’t matter. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but Djet used green injectors all years. Might require a slight MPS adjustment but the power loss there was compression and the funky thermal reactor heat exchangers.
rjames
Swapping the FI from a late model car shouldn't result in any loss of power.
As others have said, it may require adjusting the MPS depending on the state of your engine vs the engine the FI is coming from, and whether or not the MPS has been futzed with already.
ILM914
Thanks guys , is it hard to adjust the pressure sensor ? how can I get that know how? Thank you
914sgofast2
There are several threads on this forum about adjusting the MPS. Tuning the system seems to be kind of fiddley and needs some "seat of the pants" tuning work unless you have the rare factory Bosch test meter. Tangerine Racing sells a kit for rebuilding the MPS which includes instructions on how to tune the MPS for your engine without the factory diagnosis meter.

The MPS, ECU, head temperature sensor, and distributor all need to be compatible with each other for the system to work acceptably. There is a website somewhere about the Djet system which contains a table of the various parts and part numbers that need to be matched in order to work well with each other.
rjames
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Jul 28 2023, 11:37 AM) *

There are several threads on this forum about adjusting the MPS. Tuning the system seems to be kind of fiddley and needs some "seat of the pants" tuning work unless you have the rare factory Bosch test meter. Tangerine Racing sells a kit for rebuilding the MPS which includes instructions on how to tune the MPS for your engine without the factory diagnosis meter.

A ‘Bosch test meter’ is not needed.
You just need a wideband sensor to read the AFR and the adjustment tools from Tangerine Racing to adjust the MPS. Everything else is pretty much plug and play.
rjames
Double post
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.