Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tonyooc
I drove my car about 2 months ago with no issues. Now the shifter is incredibly hard to move. It doesn't make a difference if the car is running or not. Clutch or no clutch. The Trans has about 4000 miles on it new shift bushing were installed also. I don't understand what could happen while it's sitting. Any ideas.
mrholland2
QUOTE(Tonyooc @ Aug 2 2023, 12:28 PM) *

I drove my car about 2 months ago with no issues. Now the shifter is incredibly hard to move. It doesn't make a difference if the car is running or not. Clutch or no clutch. The Trans has about 4000 miles on it new shift bushing were installed also. I don't understand what could happen while it's sitting. Any ideas.

Have you crawled under, disconnected the shifter from the transmission console to see how the shifter moves independently of the console and vice versa?

Hopefully, that will eliminate at least one concern
windforfun
Check the bushing in the firewall.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Aug 2 2023, 04:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Tonyooc @ Aug 2 2023, 12:28 PM) *

Have you crawled under, disconnected the shifter from the transmission console to see how the shifter moves independently of the console and vice versa?

Hopefully, that will eliminate at least one concern

This is a good first step. Isolate weather it is internal, or external to the gearbox.

The other item to check is the clutch cable. Check calibration, and if it is actually pulling the fork adequately. If your clutch tube has broken off in the tunnel, you can have a dragging clutch disk and that wont let you shift easily.

Internally, there are not a lot of things that can cause this. The things that can are all not good and require the box be opened and correctly addressed.

Is it grinding at all? If not grinding, then likely something is obstructing the movement of the external bits.
Tonyooc
I will disconnect the shifter at the trans. The bushing on the firewall is new as well as the clutch cable.

I will keep you posted
Cairo94507
Did you by chance install seat belts? I ask because the receiver that secures to the tunnel requires a shirt bolt and if the right one is not used, it will conflict with the shifting rod. Just a thought. beerchug.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Tonyooc @ Aug 2 2023, 03:28 PM) *

does the pedal pressure feel normal?
if the shifter is hard to move, with or without the clutch pedal engaged, i would think about that mechanism, starting with the shift bushing in the coupler that is on the rod right at the tunnel. if you disconnect the rear shift bar from the bar that comes out from the shifter out the tunnel at the firewall, you should be able to see if the stiffness or tightness is still present, then isolate location- either in the tunnel at the base of the shifter, or the coupler bushing, or the transmission shift console, and go from there.

Phil
Tonyooc
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 2 2023, 03:12 PM) *

Did you by chance install seat belts? I ask because the receiver that secures to the tunnel requires a shirt bolt and if the right one is not used, it will conflict with the shifting rod. Just a thought. beerchug.gif

I put seat belts in yesterday. I'm going to say 100 percent that us the problem.
windforfun
Ah ha!!!
Tonyooc
The seat belt bolts were the problem, all better now.
Thank you Michael. pray.gif
Cairo94507
piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif
930cabman
QUOTE(Tonyooc @ Aug 3 2023, 08:34 AM) *

The seat belt bolts were the problem, all better now.
Thank you Michael. pray.gif

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

The taste of victory is sweet, even when you do something dumb to break it in the first place
GregAmy
QUOTE(Tonyooc @ Aug 2 2023, 06:46 PM) *

I put seat belts in yesterday. I'm going to say 100 percent that us the problem.

That, right there, is one of those "holy HELL why have I not donated more funds at this place to keep it alive...???"

Sweet success.
Montreal914
WOW! Duly noted for when I reassemble.

This is such a great place! pray.gif
930cabman

The winner, great diagnosis pray.gif pray.gif
rhodyguy
Good catch guys. $ and time saved, frustration eliminated.
BillJ
This place is awesome isn't it?
mlindner
Awesome, love this 914 world forum. Just the best.
windforfun
I'm becoming addicted to this website. Oh no...

drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.