Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pulling the Trunk Pan
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bigdamdork
So I have been scooting along on my restoration (first one) and started to realize if I pull out the trunk pan with the engine still in the car is that going to be a problem? I climbed underneath and noticed it looks like the "support beam" (not sure what it is called) the transmission mounts attach to looks like it is spot welded to the trunk pan. Is it ok to continue and just support the transmission with blocks, or should I just do the inevitable and pull the engine/trans?

I have some HH repairs to do inside the engine bay that I honestly think I could do w/o maybe pulling the engine. It's not that chewed up in there. I remember it not being especially difficult 35 years ago when I had my first 914 to drop everything so maybe I should just do it?

Just wanted to get any thoughts about pulling the trunk pan w/engine trans in there. I think I know the answer (pull it) but wanted to get the opinion of experts.

As always, very much appreciate any advice. Thank You!

Click to view attachment

r_towle
Yank the motor.
mepstein
Yes. Your going to want easy access to the underside of the car
Bigdamdork
Ok…got it. Thanks!
Superhawk996
agree.gif

The other thing is that a unibody depends on all that trunk steel as structure. You’re going to find that things quickly become a lot less rigid when you start cutting away steel. You don’t want any weight hanging on anything when you start cutting away structure that would deform it.

Access is everything. It’s bad enough working on the hell hole without trying to do that with the engine there. Not to mention the grinding dust and sparks that will be flying around. Why get all that crap on the engine?

Bigdamdork
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 4 2023, 01:44 PM) *

agree.gif

The other thing is that a unibody depends on all that trunk steel as structure. You’re going to find that things quickly become a lot less rigid when you start cutting away steel. You don’t want any weight hanging on anything when you start cutting away structure that would deform it.

Access is everything. It’s bad enough working on the hell hole without trying to do that with the engine there. Not to mention the grinding dust and sparks that will be flying around. Why get all that crap on the engine?

Yep...just needed to hear it out loud. Thanks!!
r_towle
PULL THE MOTOR beer.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 4 2023, 12:54 PM) *

Yank the motor.

agree.gif

http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_engdrop1.php
smash.gif
bkrantz
You might not be thinking about it (at least yet), but if you end up putting your car on a rotisserie, you need to complete all work in the trunk and frunk before bolting on the mounting brackets.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.