Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Trunk Cable and Housing Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Root_Werks
Last week, pulled the Frunk handle and it pulled further than it normally does. Frunk still opened. Upon inspection, the old plastic housing broke close to the latch.

Fast forward a week and now I have the 914Rubber cable and housing installed (very beefy). Also used the opportunity to rekey the lock to match the rest of the 914 thanks to this link:

http://www.914world.com/specs/rekey.php

Question,

Anyone ever install any sort of backup unlatching system? Cable that runs bellow the spare tire well? Or is it just remove the bumper and use the little hole method?

Always thought if the cable failed when it's time to fill the tank...be nice to just reach under and pop the hood rather than dig out the tools and pull the bumper.

And yes, I did forget to remove the Frunk stops before the 914 was painted. But everyone's still allowed to razz me about it anyway.

smile.gif
Root_Werks
Didn't really see a good place on the latch to attach another cable or wire. I guess anything would pull down instead of to the side meaning it wouldn't work.

My bumper is two large bolts and off it comes. Maybe that's just the backup?

NARP74
Going through this now, waiting for cable sleeve. I have a fiberglass bumper and an oil cooler to get through with bolts in the trunk, just to reach the latch. Might need to get creative, or just roll the dice and pretend it will never happen.

Did you route the cable to the inside or outside of the headlight drain tube?
Root_Werks
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Aug 10 2023, 11:21 AM) *

Going through this now, waiting for cable sleeve. I have a fiberglass bumper and an oil cooler to get through with bolts in the trunk, just to reach the latch. Might need to get creative, or just roll the dice and pretend it will never happen.

Did you route the cable to the inside or outside of the headlight drain tube?

Routed the tube behind the headlight bucket. Even had some new cloth braided hose to slide over just the factory.

PITA for certain, sure looks like. Old tube had overspray and was yellow/brown mostly in color.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Aug 10 2023, 11:32 AM) *

Good link, thanks!

-Dan
76-914
Yep, I used SS safety wire (I know you have a spool of that in your hanger) and made a loop on the end (think hangman's noose) with a thick piece of nylon in the loop so I didn't slice my finger when and if pulled it. beerchug.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 10 2023, 02:19 PM) *

Yep, I used SS safety wire (I know you have a spool of that in your hanger) and made a loop on the end (think hangman's noose) with a thick piece of nylon in the loop so I didn't slice my finger when and if pulled it. beerchug.gif

Yup, have some SS wire around. wink.gif

I'll rig up something and post a picture. I like going sideways through the headlight bucket. Simple, hidden.....as I post it on the internet.
blink.gif
worn
On a trip to WCR my rear trunk lock failed locked and my wife had to push down on the hood to get the frunk unlatched. I have an extra pull now, but was thanked for not posting photos. Glad to answer PMs with pics though.
Warren
Matt Romanowski
Never messed with an extra safety.

When replacing the cable, you don't have to remove the pull handle housing and the (most likely rusted in place). If you remove the stop screw in the bottom of it, you can pull the handle and the cable with it. Change the metal cable, reinsert, connect at the trunk latch, adjust, Bob's your Uncle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.