Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MD or DE eastern shore? Help needed w/ high idle : (
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DC_neun_vierzehn
I have a '73 2.0 D-jet. Motor is fresh 2056 rebuild. I had amazing help from @Cupomeat re-installing the motor and trans back in Northern Virginia, but now the car is back with me in Rehoboth, Delaware. It's currently idling at 2,200 RPMs. Eric posted a thread trying to solve this while the car was still back in VA - the suggestions helped reduce the high idle from 3k to 2k, it didn't solve the issue. Thread here.

I've searched and read through countless posts here on 914 World trying to ID the problem, but no luck so far. Some of that could be on me (I'm still learning the D-Jet and working on motors in general).

Is anybody nearby (I'm in Rehoboth, DE) that might be able to help ?

I'm willing to drive to you. I recall seeing some members on the board being close , but I cannot recall who they were (someone was in Easton, MD another was in Annapolis, MD, another was in Georgetown, DE, etc.).

Case of beer on me if you can help.

beer3.gif
MDTerp
@beatnavy is in Easton and he also has a 2056 with D-Jet.
BeatNavy
Yeah, Mike is right. I'm in Easton. I can probably help if you want to come this way sometime. I'm pretty flexible on time. I'll be in Rehobeth in September, but not with my tools (unless you count flip flops and cooler as "tools" smile.gif ).

The thread link you posted didn't work for me. High idle is almost always a vacuum leak or sometimes idle too far advanced.
brant
Double check timing
Spray carb cleaner for idle leaks
Suspect a cracked plenum
Idle screw???
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Aug 10 2023, 05:48 PM) *

Yeah, Mike is right. I'm in Easton. I can probably help if you want to come this way sometime. I'm pretty flexible on time. I'll be in Rehobeth in September, but not with my tools (unless you count flip flops and cooler as "tools" smile.gif ).

The thread link you posted didn't work for me. High idle is almost always a vacuum leak or sometimes idle too far advanced.

Hyperlink fixed. Sorry about that.

I will absolutely take you up on your offer to come your way (we can also link up when you're in town next month for a cold beverage if you'd like). I'll shoot you a PM to coordinate. Thank you.
BeatNavy
PM responded to. Next week works beerchug.gif
Geezer914
Do a smoke test to find the vacuum leak. I had a similar problem, intake flange was hung up on the engine tin causing a huge vacuum leak. Smoke test found the problem.
DC_neun_vierzehn
Had a lovely 80 minute drive from Rehoboth, DE to Easton, MD this morning to visit with @BeatNavy and troubleshoot my high idle.
DC_neun_vierzehn
Watching Rob do his thing was a thing of beauty. Meticulously examining every possible culprit (pulling hoses, plugging hoses, checking/adjusting the timing, assessing valves, etc.) until he eventually found the issue: PCV valve hose was toast although not immediately evident. But I think the engine lid was open less than an hour.

Click to view attachment

I got lucky and he had a spare laying around. Problem solved. The ride back to Delaware was much nicer (and Waze took me down some back windy, shaded roads to avoid traffic, which was fun).

Once again, I'm amazed by the knowledge, kindness and generosity of the 914 World Community. Would be lost without it.

Thanks Rob. You're the best. Hope to see you in Rehoboth at some point in the near future. Still kicking myself for not getting a selfie of us in your garage before I left. I would have been smiling ear to ear in that pic!

BeatNavy
Glad to help and to bond with another 914 owner.

Kris ( @DC_neun_vierzehn ) is a great guy and has a beautiful car beer.gif
rhodyguy
Nice job! smilie_pokal.gif
MDTerp
This is awesome! Rob is very knowledgeable and always offering to help this community.

That hose doesn't look too old, was it cracked on the end?
BeatNavy
QUOTE(MDTerp @ Aug 17 2023, 08:46 AM) *

This is awesome! Rob is very knowledgeable and always offering to help this community.

That hose doesn't look too old, was it cracked on the end?

Hey Mike!

Yeah, it was cracked on the ends, and it was a little too short as well so it had the tendency to bend up at the fitting rather than giving a decent seal. It took a while to figure it out because it didn't look that bad, and I thought maybe the stacked elbow was bad. That, a small timing adjustment, and then adjusting air bypass screw and his idle settled in nicely.

Kris did get the HE's/exhaust sorted beforehand and the car sounds and drives great driving.gif
MDTerp
Glad it worked out so well. I'm definitely going to check the ends of my hoses, because mine have some age but look good like that one.
DC_neun_vierzehn
You can see the split in the rubber in this pic:

Click to view attachment
StarBear
We LOVE happy endings! beerchug.gif
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(StarBear @ Aug 17 2023, 12:37 PM) *

We LOVE happy endings! beerchug.gif

Amen. This was my happy ending last night ...

Click to view attachment
914_teener
Rob is a good guy...hey that' my name too!

He owes me a beer and glad he sorted your car.

Rob:

If you are ever in the AZ CA area shoot me a PM so I can collect my beer before the next Pandemic thing happens!

The other Rob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.