Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Power Window Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Geo9146
I'm trying to install the power window regulators and motors from an 85 911 Cab in my 74 914 and it doesn't look like they will fit - the motors go where the vent window frames already live! Anyone tried this and succeeded? Or am I wasting my time? Any advice is appreciated
Chris914n6
I've only seen this once and it involved cutting out the 914 door inner sheet metal and welding in the 911 door inner sheet metal.

Way easier to just do the spal kit and redo the door panel upholstery.
VegasRacer
Paging Mr. @jim_hoyland
jim_hoyland
Link 1. https://914electric.wordpress.com/2011/03/0...ectric-windows/

Link 2. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...l=power++window

It’s a fun project. I eventually went back to the wind ups.
r_towle
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 17 2023, 09:51 PM) *

HAHAHA

Sorry but that Made me laugh.
I have electric windows in my 911.
They...well....suck

If I could, I would go to manual.
I won't due to originality....but I have never seen such a slow setup.

Rich
ClayPerrine
I don't understand the need to add power windows to a 914. The cabin is so small that I can lean over and raise the right hand window at a traffic light.

Why add the extra weight of a power window assembly? This seems to me like adding power brakes or power steering. Adds more weight and you don't really gain anything from it.

My opinion.... it's like adding an elevator to an outhouse. It don't belong.

VaccaRabite
@Dr Evil added them to his 914 back in the day. They worked. I don't remember what he sourced them out of. Volvo maybe?

Zach
jim_hoyland
Soak makes a very good PW kit.
Back-in-the-day, there was a PW made to fit the 914. The motors rested at the back of the door along the opening in the metal motors were connected to a speedo-like cable straight to the geared drive at the crank.
Never failed while had them.
Steve
My SBC 914. No door handles, has electric windows and door locks. Works great, but slow at times. The doors unlock through the alarm system.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Aug 18 2023, 01:05 PM) *

@Dr Evil added them to his 914 back in the day. They worked. I don't remember what he sourced them out of. Volvo maybe?

Zach

They were the commercially available generic that was once SPAL. Amazon has a kit that likely will work for $71. Best part, if it sucks you have Amazon to back it up. I just put a set in my Vanagon for $61.....from Ebay. Half of it failed. They offered me a replacement kit for $15 (shipping). Dont be like me, pay a little more.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 20 2023, 08:24 PM) *

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Aug 18 2023, 01:05 PM) *

Zach

They were the commercially available generic that was once SPAL. Amazon has a kit that likely will work for $71. Best part, if it sucks you have Amazon to back it up. I just put a set in my Vanagon for $61.....from Ebay. Half of it failed. They offered me a replacement kit for $15 (shipping). Dont be like me, pay a little more.

Do you have a pic of the Vanagon set-up ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.