Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early door window installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
totle
Hi
I am putting together doors on my 72 GT build.
Some questions regarding installation

I bought part from 914 rubber.
On the triangel window gasket, the original has support for the window going through the gasket. On the new gasket, there is no whole for this support.

Is the gasket wrong or do I have to grind of part of the support bracket

Also this window has rollers.
Is there supposed to be a gasket inside the slider on this side? Can not figure out how that would work with the rollers
BeatNavy
Hi Totle,

No, you have the right seal. You have to cut a relief in the rubber - at least that's what I did several years ago in this thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...iangle&st=0

I also recommend watching Ian's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMQt5OYOdqQ

Good luck.

rc
DC_neun_vierzehn
I literally just went through this frustrating process.

I ended up throwing my 914 Rubber triangle window seals in the trash can - I tried to modify them to fit, but didn't like how they were sealing. Too much work and bad end result.

I ultimately bought Genuine Porsche triangle window seals and they fit like a glove. Wish I had done that from the start.

Here's my thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=360506&hl=

Good luck.
Mikey914
The slot isnt necessary. In gact its just another point of entry for watter. Ww made tge later superceeded seal, because the majotity of the cars dont have the metal tab.

A reminder, we do take returns if this is not for you. Please send back witg your information (so we can credir you). We do take back any seals that are resellable.

Thanks,
Mark
totle
Thank you all for the reply.
Shipping cost will anyway kill the cost of returning from Norway
Guess I just can grind it off. Newer models do not have this though the seal I guess.

Regarding the rollers that goes on the window front. Is there any sealing that fits there?
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 21 2023, 09:55 AM) *

The slot isnt necessary. In gact its just another point of entry for watter. Ww made tge later superceeded seal, because the majotity of the cars dont have the metal tab.

A reminder, we do take returns if this is not for you. Please send back witg your information (so we can credir you). We do take back any seals that are resellable.

Thanks,
Mark

The slot is necessary if you have older doors that require the slot in order to mount them.

Otherwise, significant butchering of the 914 Rubber seals is necessary to try to make them fit the original doors (which I wasn't able to do).

Or the owner would need to hacksaw metal (removing the piece that goes up into the slot on the rubber).

This should be stated in product info on your site. It's fairly misleading not to state this. People like me have and will continue throw away $100 on these seals trying to make them work with mixed success and then can't return them bc the seals were modified trying to get them to fit. It's a really bad customer experience at an otherwise great 914 store. I hope you'll consider updating the description to save folks with early doors some time, energy, and money on this item.

Click to view attachment
914sgofast2

I agree that 914Rubber's triangle window seals do not fit correctly on early doors (1970 to approx. 1972). I had to hacksaw off the metal tab on the triangle window support which stuck up through the old seal because the new seal did not have the hole in the proper place. In addition, the new seal would not compress enough to allow the triangle window to sit deeply enough in the door for the door to close properly.

Once I cut the metal tab off the triangle window support bracket, I finally could get the triangle window deep enough into the door for the door/triangle window to be able to close without fouling the A pillar. However, the top of the triangle window still does not seal properly against the A pillar. It took me days of frustration to make one side almost "fit". I am now debating whether to just buy the Porsche factory seals and do it all over again.

totle
Seems like the best option is to go for factory triangle seals unfortunately

Regarding installing main door window
My window has the rollers up front. Does it need a fuzzle seal as well. Can not see how it will fit with the rollers
On the rear window I have the fuzzle to go in the slider
Mikey914
Correct,
The front only has the rollers, there is no seal.

Yes, at some point the description that modifications are necessary on the early applications that have a bar, were omitted. We will correct this.
-Mark
totle
Thank you for all the reply

Getting closer to a finishef car
mepstein
Great looking car. beerchug.gif
Van B
Mmmm beefy!
rgalla9146
What a beautiful car !
Tangerine is a great choice for a GT...
What engine ?
Please post more pics !
pfreiburger
I have been very satisfied with various 914 Rubber products and am very glad we have them as a supplier. However, 914 doors are a challenge. I also sprang for the Porsche vent window seals and yes, they are worth it, as they fit. The window wipers were another problem area where I went for the Porsche part. The aftermarket items I started with (not from 914 Rubber) would fall right out of the channel.

Nonetheless, I am just glad that the parts availability situation for our 914’s is as good as it is. We can’t get everything, but what we can get (or eventually find) is pretty decent. (a PCV valve would be nice!)

Totie, that car looks beautiful! Those gold wheels are flat perfect!
rgalla9146

Early windows usually have an annoying rattle because of the roller
design. Especially when closing the doors.
If you install an additional plastic 'star' behind each roller the rattle can be eliminated.
This worked on my 1970 car.
Early windows are fairly easy to install and remove. Give it a try, it was worth the effort
for me
DC_neun_vierzehn
Agree with all the complimentary comments re: 914 Rubber. We are lucky to have them. I’ve probably spent north of $2,000 on their site over the last 3 years and have been very pleased with all the parts (quality and fit) and excellent customer service by their team. The triangle window seals for my early doors have been the only exception.
totle
Great support from 914rubber. I have always been pleased.

Mike has reached out to me and we have sorted this our. Thanks Mike
totle
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 22 2023, 03:04 AM) *

What a beautiful car !
Tangerine is a great choice for a GT...
What engine ?
Please post more pics !

Thank you.
I will install a 911 3.2 engine with a bit more aggressive cams, ITB and EFI
Will try to make it look oldschool
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.