Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No crank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NARP74
I have been working on 2 projects over the last month. I finally made some progress and decided to start the car and take it for a drive. Put the key in and no crank. I look at the volts and it says 10 on the gauge, that's bad. Battery is only 1 year old. maybe I left a door open for a week and drained the battery. I put it on the charger over night. In the am, I try again and no crank, volts still read 10 at the gauge. I measure the battery and it says 13.31 V, hmmm.

One of the projects was the front trunk handle. i did move wires around at the fuse block. So I look for a blown fuse, none. I looked for a loose connection and did not see any.

Another project was the passenger seat. I started looking at the mess of wires for the seatbelt alarm system and noticed something odd. A little red wire sticking out from under the relay and a loose wire on the back of the block. I pull the relay out and the red wire is just jammed in there barely making connection. I remember reading about the seatbelt by pass, so I pull the large yellow wires out the connector and jump them with a test lead. Turn the key and it starts. I took it for a drive and everything seems fine. Volt gauge is reading correctly now.

It is a real mess with those wires. Many are cut and just loose, some are terminated with crimp caps. So the question is, what should I do with them? Just cap the rest and leave them?
Does the large relay need to be installed if it is bypassed?
What does the smaller relay do? Does it need to be installed for anything?

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Can you try jumping the starter with a screwdriver? That'll eliminate a few things pretty quick.

Make sure the car is NOT in gear, wear gloves yadda, yadda (be safe).

That seat belt warning bypass looks dangerous. There are some good threads how to bypass it correctly.
NARP74
It's running, I figured it out. It was a Zebra.
I am lucky I was messing with the seat. If this came up when the passenger seat was installed I am not sure I ever would have found it.
Root_Werks
This thread has three good links:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=364624
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.