Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear pan no fit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nivekdodge
Wondering what doesn’t belong here. Fiberglass rear pan hits resonator on muffler and muffler isn’t covered by the pan. Ideas?

Kevin
Cairo94507
Hi- Pictures would help in identifying the issue.
beerchug.gif
nivekdodge
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
BillJ
You mean valance

When you lay it flat on a flat surface is it bent at all? They have some flex so have tried to just push it up and secure? Otherwise your car may be a little tweaked...
mepstein
Fiberglass means it’s aftermarket so that’s one reason it might not fit. Usually you have to fit fiberglass to the car. Cut, clamp, glass. Rinse and repeat. Or the car got hot and it’s out of whack.
nivekdodge
It’s a fiberglass valance which sloppy is expected but it doesn’t hide the muffler nor fit there
Shivers
A stock valance will not cover the whole stock muffler. It didn’t on mine.
nivekdodge
This is how close it is to the rear body panel

kevin
scallyk9
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Aug 21 2023, 10:06 AM) *

It’s a fiberglass valance which sloppy is expected but it doesn’t hide the muffler nor fit there

Your FG replica does look a bit shallow in height but not far from a later model original steel one which does not cover the muffler and only has a half-circle cutout for the tailpipe. The early year rear valances with the hole for the tailpipe did cover the muffler but did a great job of scooping snow and dirt; probably the reason for the later design.

nivekdodge
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Aug 21 2023, 01:42 PM) *

kevin

Can we get a couple pics or a ruler from top corner of muffler to bottom of rear body panel?

Kevin
bdstone914
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Aug 21 2023, 10:42 AM) *

kevin

It looks like you have an early 1.7 muffler that had a different exhause pipe location. It used the deeper porthole valance. They stopped making the deep valanceas it made the engine run hotter. You may be able to make that one work. I have seen several valances that were so farr of that they could never fit.
TheCabinetmaker
What Bruce said!
Montreal914
Your car is a 74 1.8?

Have you looked into getting the stock muffler for your car? Then try to get a steel valance?

That may correct all of the issues at once.

I doubt you will regret getting the original stuff. Obviously, the valence can be a little difficult to find in pristine shape, but “aged” ones can be found.

nivekdodge
I looked up the muffler on Auto Atlanta's sit and it appears to be correct and the same one I have unless there are small differences

Kevin
76-914
That muffler doesn't look like it is in the right place which goes along with what Bruce said. It should be centered up with that heat shield. From what I can see it looks quiet a bit to the rear of center. confused24.gif
Shivers
Click to view attachment

I bought my valance from Porsche in 1982. I do not run a stock muffler so no measurements.
nivekdodge
Im looking for a measurement from the back of the tranny to bottom of the rear body panel?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.