Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition re-key Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ILM914
hey guys I bought a 74 2.0 that needs restoration and the seller has no keys. he has blanks. Is the best way to make an ignition key to remove the driver side or passenger side door handle and bring it to a locksmith? Thank you, Joe
fiacra
Unfortunately there is no knowing if the keys to the doors, or the keys to anything else on the car, match the key to the ignition. If you think the ignition is original probably your best chance is to bring in the lock cylinder from the frunk release handle to get a key made. You can also try the glovebox lock. Both of those are less likely to have been changed. I would seek advice from @thecabinetmaker Good luck!
TheCabinetmaker
Front trunk is the easiest to remove, if it's unlocked. Glovebox, not so much. Door handles have most likely been changed. If you're doing a restoration, just pull the ignition switch.
totle
has started this prosess on mine as well.
As I installed a 911 ignition I started with the ignintion, and then will do the rest. Was able to finally find a firm that sold me the tumblers
GregAmy
Here's a link to assist with getting the various bits out.

http://www.914world.com/specs/rekey.php

Once these are removed, the "ez button" is shipping it all to Curt (TheCabinetMaker) to get 'er done all in one shop. That's why the first reply taggged him in to this thread (but we try to avoid doing that three times in a row, 'cause we don't know what'll happen...)
914Sixer
Have the ignition switch done first and try all the locks. You may get lucky and several of the locks may be original. Usually the hood pull and glove box will be stock.
ILM914
Thanks guys the car looks very original and unmoleste. 58,000 orig miles I don't think the locks have changed. The seller is doing this for me before he ships the car. I don't think he can remove the front trunk handle and lock. should he try the door handle to a locksmith?
914Sixer
Door handles are a pain to remove and has to be done in the right sequence.
ILM914
Thanks door handle is one nut to remove what am I missing guys thanks
TheCabinetmaker
There's another bolt inside the door. Door panel must be removed for access to it.
Rusty
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Aug 25 2023, 09:22 AM) *

There's another bolt inside the door. Door panel must be removed for access to it.

Curt is correct.

6mm socket head? Best to roll the window up, get a flashlight and peer up into the door to get a look at it.

When you're reassembling, mind the outer gasket. They have a tendency to shift around while you're fiddling with it from the inside.
bdstone914
QUOTE(ILM914 @ Aug 24 2023, 02:50 PM) *

Thanks door handle is one nut to remove what am I missing guys thanks

There is one nut, one Allen bolt, door pull handle and storage box, door panel and vapor barier to remove to get to the inside of the door to remove the handle.
Thats what you're missing.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Rusty @ Aug 25 2023, 12:40 PM) *

QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Aug 25 2023, 09:22 AM) *

Curt is correct.

6mm socket head? Best to roll the window up, get a flashlight and peer up into the door to get a look at it.

When you're reassembling, mind the outer gasket. They have a tendency to shift around while you're fiddling with it from the inside.

It is a 6mm allen head bolt and needs a 5mm Alken wrench.
bdstone914
I think the rear trunk lock is the easiest to remove. They dont get changed that often and you probably want a key for it too. If your lucky it will mmn atch other locks.
914 RZ-1
I took all my lock cylinders to a local locksmith and he had no issues changing them all out to be the same. I would think any good locksmith would be able to do this for you. I'm glad I did it; I had 4 different keys at one point.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.