Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve seat size for 34mm exhaust valves
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Green626
I am currently in the process of ordering parts to get my 1.7 heads rebuilt-
the 33mm exhaust valves need to be replace so I am going to replace with 34mm.

To go with the larger valves i need to get new valve seats and want to make sure i order the right size. Doing a search I can find 32mm, 35.5mm and 37.5mm and larger replacement seats - but it not clear if this is ID or OD of the -

Has anyone has done this on your heads? if so which is the correct size to order?

Thanks in advance for your input

brant
You need a machinist with lots of air cooled experience

Dropped valve seats are a motor killer
And air cooled motors are good at dropping them
The expertise at this is significant

It’s also expensive
Sometimes cheaper to buy a better head
1.8/2.0 heads are out there

We have this done on race motors
The head work including flow porting is the most expensive part of a build
MikeK
Other than exhaust valve size, are there any other differences between 1.7 and 1.8 heads? Port shapes or sizes? I'll be going down this path soon.
brant
1.8 heads have a little more meat and much better for a 96 mm cylinders than 1.7 heads which are a bit thin

Plus the bigger valve sizes
Green626
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 26 2023, 11:18 AM) *

1.8 heads have a little more meat and much better for a 96 mm cylinders than 1.7 heads which are a bit thin

I am trying to make a slight improvement to my 1.7 J heads by going with the 1.8 34mm exhaust valves - as I have to replace them any way - which is why i was asking about the replacement seat size that i need
brant
QUOTE(Green626 @ Aug 26 2023, 10:53 AM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Aug 26 2023, 11:18 AM) *

I am trying to make a slight improvement to my 1.7 J heads by going with the 1.8 34mm exhaust valves - as I have to replace them any way - which is why i was asking about the replacement seat size that i need

Makes sense
But likely cheaper to buy used 1.8 heads than it is to put big valves into a 1.7 head
My machinist makes his own seats to size out of quality stock
And I would expect an air cooled machinist to handle sourcing the material. And likely be particular about these materials.

1.8 heads are out there and still cheaper than the machine work/labor
914Sixer
You can buy new heads from AA Performance for what it will cost to rework your old heads.
Green626
Gents,
I greatly appreciate the input ! Looks like I will consider all options
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.