Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: removing fan belt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Name is Snick
This is on a 912E but I guess it’s the same on a 914.

Do I have to remove the Alternator pulley to get the fan belt off?
The adjustment doesn’t seem to adjust far enough to get the belt off.
Thanks
Porschef
welcome.png

Nope, should travel low enough on the adjuster to remove. Not a fun task, but it sure ain’t the worst.
Van B
Negative, just make sure the adjuster is loose, get a side started and work it around.
brant
There is a bottom bolt that the alternator pivots on
Loosen that one also
Name is Snick
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 28 2023, 05:25 PM) *

There is a bottom bolt that the alternator pivots on
Loosen that one also

Thanks guys. Saves me a lot of trouble.

I've loosened the lower bolt but can't get the alternator to rotate much. But now I know not to waste my effort on the pulley. I'll keep massaging it.
r_towle
Sometimes a fat flathead screw driver on the alternator pulley resting on the outer surface of the pulley and under the belt.
Then rotate the pulley to move the screw driver further under the belt and the belt will pop off
bkrantz
Worst case, you can unscrew the adjustor bolt completely (and catch the T-profile nut). That might let you rotate the alternator just a bit more.
r_towle
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 28 2023, 09:22 PM) *

Worst case, you can unscrew the adjustor bolt completely (and catch the T-profile nut). That might let you rotate the alternator just a bit more.

agree.gif
Name is Snick
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 28 2023, 06:58 PM) *

Sometimes a fat flathead screw driver on the alternator pulley resting on the outer surface of the pulley and under the belt.
Then rotate the pulley to move the screw driver further under the belt and the belt will pop off

Doing the screw driver under the belt method requires that you have a way to turn the crankshaft/fan to advance the belt otherwise the belt doesn’t move. I can turn the alternator pully but the belt doesn’t move.
Is there a tool to turn the crankshaft manually?
Thanks for any help
Snick
emerygt350
Jack up one side, put it in 5th, roll a tire.

Since your engine is in backwards;), you should be able to get a socket on the crank too.
930cabman
QUOTE(Name is Snick @ Sep 20 2023, 11:07 AM) *

Doing the screw driver under the belt method requires that you have a way to turn the crankshaft/fan to advance the belt otherwise the belt doesn’t move. I can turn the alternator pully but the belt doesn’t move.
Thanks for any help
Snick

welcome.png

Any or all of the above should get you there.
Is the belt loose or cracked? is the alternator putting out
Name is Snick
QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 20 2023, 11:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Name is Snick @ Sep 20 2023, 11:07 AM) *

Thanks for any help
Snick

welcome.png

Any or all of the above should get you there.
Is the belt loose or cracked? is the alternator putting out

trying to get belt off to run eng without alternator to see it the noise is alternator bearing noise or eng noise.
Thanks
Name is Snick
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Sep 20 2023, 11:19 AM) *

Since your engine is in backwards;), you should be able to get a socket on the crank too.

Hey, I like that! It's on two flat cinderblocks now. I'lll try to jack one side up without killing myself. But I now see this is a 2 man job, or one wife and one codger.
thanks
porschetub
QUOTE(Name is Snick @ Sep 21 2023, 05:52 AM) *

Hey, I like that! It's on two flat cinderblocks now. I'lll try to jack one side up without killing myself. But I now see this is a 2 man job, or one wife and one codger.
thanks

It may be possible that the belt was too short when fitted ,perhaps worth checking when you get it off .
930cabman
I recently had a "locally rebuilt" alternator go bad with a resulting bunch of noise. Never took it back to Phil, but will soon as the /6 alternator needs inspection. Hopefully the noise is only in the alternator.
Front yard mechanic
Just drive it 90 mph trying to keep up @red rocks rally that belt will fly off by itself driving-girl.gif
ClayPerrine
The belt is too short. A pocket knife will get it off. biggrin.gif

Buy a new belt from one of our suppliers and experience joy and happiness.

And welcome to 914World. We love the 912E too.

Name is Snick

That 5th gear thing sounded good, so I tried it. I would need 3 men and a boy to rotate the tire. It won't budge.

I like all of the well-thought-out suggestions. I like the 90 mph one. But my car won't go 90 mph. Any yes, I could cut the belt with a pocket knife, but I plan to put it back on unless I can get a new one.

keep the suggestions coming. Maybe one will work.

Thanks
Shivers
QUOTE(Name is Snick @ Sep 22 2023, 05:54 AM) *

That 5th gear thing sounded good, so I tried it. I would need 3 men and a boy to rotate the tire. It won't budge.

I like all of the well-thought-out suggestions. I like the 90 mph one. But my car won't go 90 mph. Any yes, I could cut the belt with a pocket knife, but I plan to put it back on unless I can get a new one.

Thanks

Well it should have. Check you don’t have the e-brake on. If it is not moving I’d be looking for the reason why.
Name is Snick
QUOTE(Shivers @ Sep 22 2023, 07:17 AM) *

Thanks

Well it should have. Check you don’t have the e-brake on. If it is not moving I’d be looking for the reason why.

You were right. I tried again. It was very hard to get it to move at first. But I could move it an inch at a time after it moved. Just enough. The good news is the noise is not the engine, must be the alternator bearing Bad news is now I have to get alternator out. Do you know if you have to remove any tin? The bottom bolt is loose as is the adjuster bolt but I can't move the alternator.

thanks
930cabman
QUOTE(Name is Snick @ Sep 22 2023, 11:21 AM) *

Thanks

You were right. I tried again. It was very hard to get it to move at first. But I could move it an inch at a time after it moved. Just enough. The good news is the noise is not the engine, must be the alternator bearing Bad news is now I have to get alternator out. Do you know if you have to remove any tin? The bottom bolt is loose as is the adjuster bolt but I can't move the alternator.

thanks

Yes. A couple years ago I was getting ready for a long weekend in the Poconos and the alternator was making a racket. It was a bit challenging, but I got her switched out without removing any tin. As I recall, it did not come out easy

Do you have a Haynes or Clymer manual?
Name is Snick
QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 22 2023, 12:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Name is Snick @ Sep 22 2023, 11:21 AM) *

Thanks

thanks

Yes. A couple years ago I was getting ready for a long weekend in the Poconos and the alternator was making a racket. It was a bit challenging, but I got her switched out without removing any tin. As I recall, it did not come out easy

Do you have a Haynes or Clymer manual?

I have Clymer which has minimal on removing Alternator. Main helpful thing I got from it is I have to remove the heat exchanger. Long day flat on back for oxygenarian.
Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.