Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Maximum amount of alignment shims....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Working on the latest parts car. This was a driving car up to about 12yrs ago. It is very very rusty. I think they just might of had an alignment issue on the right side. blink.gif

Thats 2 4mm, 2 3mm, and 1 2mm shim. Yikes!
914werke
on just the one side?
mepstein
This was on my car before repairs.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(914werke @ Aug 29 2023, 06:35 PM) *

on just the one side?

Yes. Driver side just had a 2mm shim. confused24.gif
SirAndy
Bent trailing arm or, ... worse ...
icon8.gif
SirAndy
This is what came out of my car.
blink.gif

IPB Image IPB Image
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 29 2023, 09:40 PM) *

blink.gif

IPB Image IPB Image

YIKES!! This car is just a really rusty POS that someone patched together to keep it on the road.
914Sixer
Twisted body shell
mepstein
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 30 2023, 07:55 AM) *

Twisted body shell

Mine was an incorrectly mounted replacement suspension console.
NARP74
"In for a penny, in for a pound" That's going all in on shims. Wow
76-914
QUOTE(GaroldShaffer @ Aug 29 2023, 08:07 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 29 2023, 09:40 PM) *

blink.gif

IPB Image IPB Image

YIKES!! This car is just a really rusty POS that someone patched together to keep it on the road.

So many it looks like a deck of cards. Was that a Cali car???
Superhawk996
That’s a good find on a parts car . . . Just more parts to sell biggrin.gif
NARP74
Old stock, original rust
dr914@autoatlanta.com
start by replacing the springs
Optimusglen
I mean, what kind of tolerances was the factory holding on the suspension consoles for these? I get it's a lot of shims, but it seems like every time the topic comes up (that I've seen anyway) it's always the passenger side that needs a ton and the driver side is 1 or 2, if at all.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Aug 30 2023, 12:06 PM) *

I mean, what kind of tolerances was the factory holding on the suspension consoles for these? I get it's a lot of shims, but it seems like every time the topic comes up (that I've seen anyway) it's always the passenger side that needs a ton and the driver side is 1 or 2, if at all.

You don't get that much variance in a straight tub ...

After pulling the tub back to factory specs, i've been running 1 shim on each side, giving me about -1 degree of rear camber.

Without any shims, it's around -2 degrees.
shades.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Aug 30 2023, 03:06 PM) *

My opinion- Because the passenger side suspension consoles gets damaged and weakened from water and battery acid washing over them. The quick fix is shims but they continue to fail until replaced.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.