Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Picture request - passenger side A-pillar door support
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanpaulmc
Would someone post a picture of an unharmed passenger side A-pillar door support reinforcement panel showing the bottom attachment? Angled looking up would be best.

My original does not have the clarity to show the proper fit at the bottom flange. Here's where I'm working from.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I have the longitudinal patch fully welded in now, so here's where I'm at.
Need to go back and find/make the hole for the longitudinal cover.
Click to view attachment

This is the RD replacement panel. Nice piece.
Click to view attachment

I believe the original piece does not have this bottom flange that is on the RD piece. The RD piece would need to be trimmed at the bottom so it does not to cover the bolt hole for the outer long cover and factory weep holes on the longs in this area. Alternatively, the RD piece could be welded in as-is and just cover up the holes. I would like to see the original configuration accommodates the holes before make a decision on which way to do it.

Thanks World!

Sean
seanpaulmc
Bump to the top.
42 views no pics yet.
Superhawk996
Not clear on the the question being asked.

What you have in hand is the remnant of a clamshell overlay. Not the actual OEM box section that rust has consumed.

It is essentially offset by one metal thickness so that it lays over the top of the OEM metal.
Superhawk996
The RD clamshell was made of three pieces spot welded together

The entire thing was meant to mount OVER existing OEM metal. I believe you have the front portion which RD now sells separately

Click to view attachment

You should be able to use as is or cut, trim, blend as you see fit.
Superhawk996
See if this helps - Google is your friend. I’m sure there are other pics in build threads

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=231859

OEM piece had a couple drain slots in the bottom. You’ll need to cut those into RD part. I fabricated mine from scratch before RD was offering just that front part of the clamshell separately.
seanpaulmc
Thanks, SuperHawk. The feedback is helpful.

Looking for a view of this...
Click to view attachment

I get the gist of it from this picture but would like to see one that's intact.

You are correct about the RD piece. The repair patch they sell is the same piece that comes off of their outer frame stiffener (cut to fit).

Thank you. Again, appreciate the feedback.
Montreal914
I believe you are referring to this?

This is the driver side. Yes, the outer layer doesn't go all the way to the flanged area.

Large size picture, click and zoom to see the detail of the cut out (2 drains, and clearance for the rocker cover screw).

Happy repair! smash.gif welder.gif smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
Not exactly perspective you want and this is driver side

All I’ve got
Click to view attachment
Shivers
Click to view attachment bye1.gif
seanpaulmc
Great pictures everyone. Exactly what I needed.
Original shows good sized cut outs in the support bracket making for a large weep hole.

So the question is make it like original or use the full replacement piece and eliminate the weep holes.

Thanks again, All!
Shivers
QUOTE(seanpaulmc @ Aug 31 2023, 08:48 AM) *

Great pictures everyone. Exactly what I needed.
Original shows good sized cut outs in the support bracket making for a large weep hole.

So the question is make it like original or use the full replacement piece and eliminate the weep holes.

Thanks again, All!

I would leave them. Probably the only reason that piece hasn’t rusted out. That is the rear of the wheelhouse and will load up with mud, sand, dirt and water. That is rustworm food.
seanpaulmc
Again, thanks for the pictures and giving me some clarity.
To close this out, Here’s the modified piece for install…

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.