Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: door windows, inside fuzzy strips
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dgw
I have a 71 914. I know there is some kind of fuzzy strip in the inside of the window but I can't figure out what part I would order from either Pelican or 914rubber. Can anybody point me at the right part?

It looks something like this.
Click to view attachment

I believe its a metal piece that attaches to the door with the pictured fuzzy strip attached to it. I could be wrong.
Shivers
If I’m remembering this right it is part of the door panel.
rhodyguy
You need to take off the inner panel. You will see some holes in the door on the top edge. The screws that hold the strip on are accessed thru the holes. More often then not the screws are rusted in place.
Rob-O
As Kevin said. There is an aluminum piece that holds the fuzzy strip. The aluminum piece is held onto the door by (if I remember correctly) three screws. It’s difficult to see how to access those screws, if you can even see them at all. The holes in the aluminum to access the screws are hidden by the fuzzy strip. Look carefully along the fuzzy strip and you’ll see (or feel) the holes. Would t hurt to spray some PB Blaster or equivalent in there first. Given their location, they do have a tendency to get corroded, as mentioned above.
barefoot
Of all the fasteners I've removed from my 914, those 3 tiny screws were the ONLY ones I could not get out, good luck trying.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we have plenty plenty of them in stock both NEW and good used ones

QUOTE(dgw @ Sep 5 2023, 09:56 PM) *

I have a 71 914. I know there is some kind of fuzzy strip in the inside of the window but I can't figure out what part I would order from either Pelican or 914rubber. Can anybody point me at the right part?

Click to view attachment

I believe its a metal piece that attaches to the door with the pictured fuzzy strip attached to it. I could be wrong.

914werke

QUOTE(dgw @ Sep 5 2023, 09:56 PM) *

Click to view attachment

As mentioned there is a aluminum rail that holds that fuzzy strip in place & they are different early to late. The three screws are accessed through the door frame via three holes at the top edge. Don't bother with available aftermarket fuzzies they don't seem to fit. Buy the OE unit but be prepared the are kinda pricey.
Mikey914
Here is a picture and link to the entire kit. You may not need all of it but you can see what the parts are.
You are looking at the top of the inner door fuzzy closest to the driver.

There are several parts to look at while you are there, the kit takes care of most of them.

https://914rubber.com/early-door-window-kit-for-914

Do note the window buttons, as it’s a great time to change them out.

The only other thing as a while you are there item would be the door cam actuator. biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
I bought inner and outer fuzzies from 914Rubber. They installed fine.

If you are not painting your 914, I wouldn't try to remove the outer aluminum rail. Just remove the old fuzzy, really clean out the channel and install new.

50% of the time the 3 little screws need drilled out = PITA.

-Dan
76-914
I've been able to come in on the backside of those frozen screws and back them out with a pair of needle nose vice grips or side cutters. There is only about 5-6mm of thread that protrudes out. The window will need to be up and you'll need to be a bit of a contortionist. I've only needed to drill out one but then again I'm in SoCal and not the Rust Belt. biggrin.gif
dgw
Time to terminate this thread. I thought the metal piece and fuzzy was on the inside of the window, but I wasn't sure and was trying to figure it out before I bought the bits. It turns out that the metal piece and fuzzy is on the outside of the window and the inside piece, which is what is missing on my car, is much simpler. The missing inside pieces should be arriving Saturday from 914rubber.
dgw
delete duplicate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.