Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shock Time Capsule
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DennisV
Sliding down that slippery slope, I decided to pull the shocks since I already had the rest of the suspension off. At least clean them, if not replace. I was amused to find that someone had taken the time to write the date and milage on the front inserts.
Click to view attachment

Anyone familiar with these red Koni? Google machine didn't turn up much other than they are 914 adjustable and are NLA. They are marked:
Click to view attachment
Front:
HEAVY TURN
MADE IN HOLLAND
Special D 82R 17

Rear:
HEAVY TURN
NS-REGLAGE
82K 1722

I couldn't find any paint (other than overspray barf.gif ) or other markings on the springs.

Best I can tell reading posts, reference books, and the parts catalog a 914-6 would most likely had Boge in black. Which is interesting as there are traces of original gray paint on our lower front strut tubes. Would the tube and inserts have different colors?
SirAndy
They look an awful lot like vintage red Koni shocks.
idea.gif
burton73
I believe that you can send them out for rebuilding to Koni?. If I remember right the price for a rebuild is the same as new and if they are NLA well there you have it.

Bob B
Krieger
I think the Koni Reds are nla. PSI at Sonoma Raceway is a Koni authorized rebuilder. I used them a while back and would use them again.
DennisV
Back with the car for a few days. A few more shock questions:
  1. Is there any way to tell the rating of the springs? I couldn't find any markings on them.
  2. Are the red Koni desirable?
  3. I read that shocks don't age out, but they can wear out. If that is true, these have about 20k on them. So perhaps I can reuse them as is?
fixer34
Installed a set of Koni Red adjustable rears about 43 years ago. I think they are squeaking a little, but otherwise still OK.

Scanned the original brochure but it it saved as PDF. Not sure if you can downlaod it?

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(DennisV @ Sep 15 2023, 05:18 PM) *
Are the red Koni desirable?

Yes, they are. Don't toss them in the bin!
shades.gif
Mikey914
I can tell you the springs are not progressive. You should be able to figure out by diameter of the metal and unsprung length.
DennisV
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Sep 15 2023, 06:46 PM) *

Scanned the original brochure but it it saved as PDF. Not sure if you can downlaod it?

Yes! The download works. Thanks for posting.
rgalla9146

Examine the springs closely.
They often have date of manufacture stamped into the wire near one end.
They also often have painted marks on them indicating matched rate.
I've seen red, green, and yellow stripes.
It's a long time but I seem to remember 914 6s had yellow paint marks.
Can anyone confirm/add to this ?
aturboman
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 16 2023, 08:15 AM) *

Rory you are correct as usual. 914-6 has stampings marked on one end and has 2 yellow paint marks. These are original 6 springs.

They are repainted black but hash marks are original.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(aturboman @ Sep 17 2023, 05:38 AM) *

Rory you are correct as usual. 914-6 has stampings marked on one end and has 2 yellow paint marks. These are original 6 springs.

They are repainted black but hash marks are original.

If its any help in my experiece yellow paint marks indicate standard spring rates on VW cars as with all the mk2 Golfs I have owned ,the heavier mk3 of which I have owned 2 were marked green .
Isn't it true that the stock springs were 100 lb ? pretty sure I read that on here but could well be wrong,my "6" conversion has 100 lb rear springs and ride is fine with my small 2.2 motor..
Dennis you should get the struts and shocked tested or do it yourself ,I would suggest being Koni they will be fine,if good replace the bump stops and clean them up and repaint ,shouldn't be hard to get a colour match,also make sure the rubbers in the rear ones are in good condition ,cheers.
DennisV

Thanks for the tips.

I used an illuminated magnifying glass to circle the spring but could not find any stamping. I haven't removed the springs, so it's possible a marking is hidden under the strut flange.

The only paint on it is overspray.

Would the Koni shocks have come with springs? FWIW, they are 11mm in diameter.

QUOTE(aturboman @ Sep 16 2023, 10:38 AM) *

Thanks for the photos. I love seeing original parts.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(DennisV @ Sep 15 2023, 05:18 PM) *

[*]Is there any way to tell the rating of the springs? I couldn't find any markings on them.

There are spring testers out there. You can do the measurement without if you have a ruler and some weights or a scale. Spring rates are (in the US) generally measured in lbs/in of deflection, so you need to measure lbs force and inches deflection and divide the one by the other to get the rate.

QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 16 2023, 04:28 PM) *

Isn't it true that the stock springs were 100 lb ?

No, it is not true. The 100 lb/in ones were sold as "stock replacements" for many years, but the actual stock rates are in the 50-65 lb/in range. I believe the original Six springs were closer to the upper end of that. The factory manual lists measured spring lengths and pressures, but you have to do a bunch of math to get an actual lbs force per inches deflection. I did it once and verified that they were in that 50-65 range. Not going to do that again, it was a trifle much effort for me...

--DD
DennisV
Given that the shocks seem pretty easy to replace and they seem to have low miles on them, I think I am going to give the existing Koni and springs a try. Having the Koni rebuilt appears to be more expensive than new shocks.

For a 914-6, am I correct in understanding that:
  1. Outer part 2 and 6 were gray
  2. Rear shocks and front inserts would have been black Boge and Red Koni?
  3. Other than brand, all the other components were the same (i.e., rubber stop #5 is used with both, even though the parts catalog only references "Boge")
Click to view attachment
I am referencing the great Restorers Guide and Tech Tips 700, but their info is not quite the same.

Any reason not to powder coat 2 and 6, save the spindle portion? Here is the remaining paint on #2 as removed from the car.
Click to view attachment
914Sixer
By all means use the Konis. Your front struts are Boge therefore they should be gray. Put old bolts in holes when power coating so you to not have to tap them.
rgalla9146
Dennis if you intend to run your car lower than original height the rear Konis offer
no adjustment...without aftermarket parts. AFAIK
I went with Bilsteins for this feature. On the front as well of course.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.