Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 Headlight Switch pinout
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mgarrison
Hello,

I was hoping to reuse the light switch that was in my 74, but I am really struggling with the "current flow diagram" vs a typical "wiring diagram". The wiring diagram for the 71 is much easier for my addled brain to follow. However, the 71 used a different light switch with fewer connections, so not much help!

I no longer have popups, so I wont be using those connections, but hoping to use the connections for parking lights, headlights, and maybe the dimmer (knob twist) for the gauge lights.

Here's what I THINK I have ferreted out from the 74 current flow diagram in the service manuals:
Click to view attachment

Here's the best pic I could get of my light switch that shows most of the connection numbers (11 total connections):
Click to view attachment

I hoping someone can maybe confirm what I have so far as accurate, or even better share where each connections goes/it's purpose pray.gif
87m491
According to the current flow diagram,
30 is power to the headlight motors, K is power to instrument bulbs via the dimmer.

QUOTE(mgarrison @ Sep 16 2023, 10:16 AM) *

Hello,

I was hoping to reuse the light switch that was in my 74, but I am really struggling with the "current flow diagram" vs a typical "wiring diagram". The wiring diagram for the 71 is much easier for my addled brain to follow. However, the 71 used a different light switch with fewer connections, so not much help!

I no longer have popups, so I wont be using those connections, but hoping to use the connections for parking lights, headlights, and maybe the dimmer (knob twist) for the gauge lights.

Here's what I THINK I have ferreted out from the 74 current flow diagram in the service manuals:
Click to view attachment

Here's the best pic I could get of my light switch that shows most of the connection numbers (11 total connections):
Click to view attachment

I hoping someone can maybe confirm what I have so far as accurate, or even better share where each connections goes/it's purpose pray.gif

JeffBowlsby
If it helps you here is a link to a Dash Switches circuit diagram on my harness website for the headlight switches. Various combinations of those connection tabs connect to different circuits dependent on what position the pull switch is in.
davep
K: illumination output for instruments. goes to fuse 7 input. often has a jumper for 58b but I replace with a wire from fuse 7 output so that the gauge lights are fused; several harnesses I have see had the jumper and other wires totally fried.

30: battery hot wire from fuse 10 input

30B: connected to 30 when switch is off, puts headlights in down position

58a: dimmer output for gauge illumination

58b: dimmer input; do yourself a favor and source from fuse 7 output
mgarrison
Thanks everyone - much appreciated! pray.gif
mgarrison
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Sep 17 2023, 02:14 PM) *

If it helps you here is a link to a Dash Switches circuit diagram on my harness website for the headlight switches. Various combinations of those connection tabs connect to different circuits dependent on what position the pull switch is in.

Your diagrams are a huge help! pray.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.