Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 1974 Headlight Switch pinout, 1974 Headlight Switch pinout
mgarrison
post Sep 16 2023, 12:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,922
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hello,

I was hoping to reuse the light switch that was in my 74, but I am really struggling with the "current flow diagram" vs a typical "wiring diagram". The wiring diagram for the 71 is much easier for my addled brain to follow. However, the 71 used a different light switch with fewer connections, so not much help!

I no longer have popups, so I wont be using those connections, but hoping to use the connections for parking lights, headlights, and maybe the dimmer (knob twist) for the gauge lights.

Here's what I THINK I have ferreted out from the 74 current flow diagram in the service manuals:
Attached Image

Here's the best pic I could get of my light switch that shows most of the connection numbers (11 total connections):
Attached Image

I hoping someone can maybe confirm what I have so far as accurate, or even better share where each connections goes/it's purpose (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 5)
87m491
post Sep 17 2023, 01:01 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 14,731
Region Association: North East States

According to the current flow diagram,
30 is power to the headlight motors, K is power to instrument bulbs via the dimmer.

QUOTE(mgarrison @ Sep 16 2023, 10:16 AM) *

Hello,

I was hoping to reuse the light switch that was in my 74, but I am really struggling with the "current flow diagram" vs a typical "wiring diagram". The wiring diagram for the 71 is much easier for my addled brain to follow. However, the 71 used a different light switch with fewer connections, so not much help!

I no longer have popups, so I wont be using those connections, but hoping to use the connections for parking lights, headlights, and maybe the dimmer (knob twist) for the gauge lights.

Here's what I THINK I have ferreted out from the 74 current flow diagram in the service manuals:
Attached Image

Here's the best pic I could get of my light switch that shows most of the connection numbers (11 total connections):
Attached Image

I hoping someone can maybe confirm what I have so far as accurate, or even better share where each connections goes/it's purpose (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Sep 17 2023, 03:14 PM
Post #3

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

If it helps you here is a link to a Dash Switches circuit diagram on my harness website for the headlight switches. Various combinations of those connection tabs connect to different circuits dependent on what position the pull switch is in.
+Quote Post
davep
post Sep 17 2023, 06:11 PM
Post #4

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

K: illumination output for instruments. goes to fuse 7 input. often has a jumper for 58b but I replace with a wire from fuse 7 output so that the gauge lights are fused; several harnesses I have see had the jumper and other wires totally fried.

30: battery hot wire from fuse 10 input

30B: connected to 30 when switch is off, puts headlights in down position

58a: dimmer output for gauge illumination

58b: dimmer input; do yourself a favor and source from fuse 7 output
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Sep 18 2023, 08:05 AM
Post #5

Thanks everyone - much appreciated! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Sep 18 2023, 08:24 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Sep 17 2023, 02:14 PM) *

If it helps you here is a link to a Dash Switches circuit diagram on my harness website for the headlight switches. Various combinations of those connection tabs connect to different circuits dependent on what position the pull switch is in.

Your diagrams are a huge help! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 12:41 AM