Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pump Direction
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stoneman30hotmail
Does this pump have a prefered direction? https://www.carburetion.com/products/ProductDetails.aspx...
I can't find directions or indications on it. I'm not getting fuel, but don't know if it's this or the filter or the pressure regulator. It did get stuck when I had it before the filter but then I freed it by reversing polarity. Now I have the filter first. If I reverse polarity now I can hear bubbles in the fuel tank.
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
beerchug.gif
The Large Terminal is Ground, Small Terminal is Positive on this Pump.
stoneman30hotmail

beerchug.gif

I think in the end it was just a bubble in the fuel line.
stoneman30hotmail
Now on finally driving this I got stuck with vapor lock. After sitting a while I could drive off. It's not terribly hot out and this was later in the day. So I'm wondering if the fuel pump is making a lot of heat. In all the playing around above "bubbles" maybe does mean fuel vapor just from the pump heat without the engine running. That may also explain why some cars have problems in the rear location while others don't. Does that fit anyone else's experience?
So now I'm not sure if I should relocate the pump thinking it's going to overheat nomatter where it is. Maybe needs a new pump?
mate914
QUOTE(stoneman30hotmail @ Oct 3 2023, 06:20 AM) *

Now on finally driving this I got stuck with vapor lock. After sitting a while I could drive off. It's not terribly hot out and this was later in the day. So I'm wondering if the fuel pump is making a lot of heat. In all the playing around above "bubbles" maybe does mean fuel vapor just from the pump heat without the engine running. That may also explain why some cars have problems in the rear location while others don't. Does that fit anyone else's experience?
So now I'm not sure if I should relocate the pump thinking it's going to overheat nomatter where it is. Maybe needs a new pump?

Can you show use a picture of your fuel pump installed. I have never seen a fuel pump get hot and vapor lock. I have seen carbed engines that run hot and vapor lock. Things that cause vapor lock. Poor routing of fuel lines, timing, compression too high, engine cooling tins not install, engine covered in 50 year old grim and blocking cooling fins.

Hope this helps,
Matt
rhodyguy
Post a picture of the pump mounted. Is hot air blowing on the pump? To what degree has the fuel system been renewed?
stoneman30hotmail
It happened again after like a five mile drive. I felt around and nothing is really that hot.

I've been working on the car for a year. So these are the first drives. As part of the redo I've replaced the plastic tunnel lines with metal and all new hoses elsewhere - er may have reused a couple short pieces.

New fuel filters.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Is it a dies while driving thing or no restart after sitting while hot? What’s the story with the folded over piping piece near the firewall exit point?
stoneman30hotmail
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 3 2023, 01:32 PM) *

Is it a dies while driving thing or no restart after sitting while hot? What’s the story with the folded over piping piece near the firewall exit point?

Dies while driving.

I think by folded over piping piece you mean the return line. But it is connected to the tank. That's just there in case it would be converted over to higher pressure fuel pump I guess.
rhodyguy
But the line runs from the fold to the filter inlet? The metal line is capped and goes nowhere.
mate914
QUOTE(stoneman30hotmail @ Oct 3 2023, 02:18 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 3 2023, 01:32 PM) *

Dies while driving.

I think by folded over piping piece you mean the return line. But it is connected to the tank. That's just there in case it would be converted over to higher pressure fuel pump I guess.

@stoneman30hotmail
Check the fuel tank sock inside the tank for clooging.
Fuel pump goes to big fuel line, your connected to the return.
Having a fuel return with low pressure is always a good thing because of how the fuel returns to the tank for reserve fuel.

I think your running out of gas......

Matt flag.gif
rhodyguy
The in tank filter sock would be on the factory supply line. I don’t think the sock is currently in play. The folded return (now supply) line could be well fouled with tank debris backed up at the fold. Somewhat of a mess.
stoneman30hotmail
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 3 2023, 02:43 PM) *

But the line runs from the fold to the filter inlet? The metal line is capped and goes nowhere.

Right, it's these https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...=PEL-SS914-7074
Are you saying both are needed for some reason? Not sure where I'd put it off the carburator. Or I connected the wrong one to the pump? I got a couple fuel baths rearranging things to begin with. There is fuel comming out the smaller diameter one after putting 1 gal in the tank. So I'm pretty sure I got the feed line going to the filter.
mate914
QUOTE(stoneman30hotmail @ Oct 3 2023, 03:03 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 3 2023, 02:43 PM) *

Right, it's these https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...=PEL-SS914-7074
Are you saying both are needed for some reason? Not sure where I'd put it off the carburator. Or I connected the wrong one to the pump? I got a couple fuel baths rearranging things to begin with. There is fuel comming out the smaller diameter one after putting 1 gal in the tank. So I'm pretty sure I got the feed line going to the filter.

Might want to double check that. Large line coming out of tank is the feed. Small is the return.
Matt
rhodyguy
The hardline link is for a set. Only one is on your car.

Is it carbs (with an s) or carb as in a single?

Long story short, the fuel pump supply line is connected to the folded over and now kinked return line.
stoneman30hotmail
Ok, good tip, larger line is feed. wacko.gif Then I need some kind of reducer thing to get to the filter unless I get that in the filter..

Another clue: If I blow into the line from the carb, the pump works for a while. That allowed me to take the first drive and then I did it again got another 4 miles and now again and I got 1/2 mile home. At first I didn't think that was the temporary fix, but maybe was. Maybe I need another fuel filter already also?
stoneman30hotmail
Heres a better picture of the bends. They're as they came.

Click to view attachment

Now with the right line as supply.
Click to view attachment

But it still doesn't work. A few tests run:

1. Disconnect large pipe - lots of fuel drop out. I probably let out 1/2 gallon in 15 seconds. So not the sock.
2. Disconnect line at carburator, run pump (key on) - pumps continuous (1/2 gallon fast) . So not a clog.
3. Idle engine - starts at 2 psi at gauge, stalls after 5-10 min, no pressure at fuel gauge, pump still buzzing
(after draining some fuel through system)
4. Leave pump to run, engine off, no flow - fuel pressure gauge shows 2 psi after regulator but pressure drop to 0 eventually (5-10min) pump still buzzing
ChrisFoley
bad pump
stoneman30hotmail
Any recommendations? I saw summit racing has a $40 option. But I have Napa, Autozone, Orielly and Advance Autox2 within 5 miles.
mate914
QUOTE(stoneman30hotmail @ Oct 5 2023, 06:37 AM) *

Any recommendations? I saw summit racing has a $40 option. But I have Napa, Autozone, Orielly and Advance Autox2 within 5 miles.

LN Engineering has the best price and shipping was fast.

$52.49

Matt
Geezer914
Relocate the pump up front under the steering rack cover.
rhodyguy
Read the ‘powering pump for carbs’ thread in the Classic thread forum. Andy wrote and posted it.
Craigers17
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 5 2023, 09:50 AM) *

Read the ‘powering pump for carbs’ thread in the Classic thread forum. Andy wrote and posted it.

agree.gif Clay turned me on to this thread. I'm relocating my pump from the back to the front so I'm trying to sort things out too. Where are you pulling your power from to the pump? Is it from the coil? If so, there's an outside shot that that could be an issue. The thread mentioned here gets into the best places of where to pull power from. Good luck.
Jack Standz
A few wild guesses:

Could be the line under the fuel tank (at front of car by steering rack/master cylinder) is either kinked or pinched. Maybe check here first.

Fuel pump bad

Crud blocking fuel though line, filter or pump
stoneman30hotmail
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Oct 5 2023, 12:08 PM) *

agree.gif Clay turned me on to this thread. I'm relocating my pump from the back to the front so I'm trying to sort things out too. Where are you pulling your power from to the pump? Is it from the coil? If so, there's an outside shot that that could be an issue. The thread mentioned here gets into the best places of where to pull power from. Good luck.

I guess the suggestion to relocate as well as this is just general advice. I don't see how that can be my issue given the pressure drops with no engine heat. I have the pump powered per thread.
stoneman30hotmail
A couple last sanity checks before ordering a pump:
No kinks up front. I could imagine a kink getting sucked shut after some flow. But no. I have a nice loop up there following Ian Karr's suggested length.
To double check.. I do have the pin grounded simliar to the thread. The pump is connected at what I guess is the original pump connection. I have some electrical issues but see 11+ volts between the pins here with key on.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
stoneman30hotmail
QUOTE(mate914 @ Oct 5 2023, 06:58 AM) *

QUOTE(stoneman30hotmail @ Oct 5 2023, 06:37 AM) *

LN Engineering has the best price and shipping was fast.

$52.49

Matt

I did maybe too much checking today. That pump looks to be the Carter P90091 which also Summit is selling where both give clue that this is 2.5 psi.
I lucked out with the chat help at Carter. They said "as it has a max of 2 - 4 psi - Normal operation is at the bottom of the max scale at like 2 psi - that all depends on distance from tank and all with this low a pressure pump."
Also gave these local part numbers:
E23101 is the O'Reilly number
B-0113-E - NAPA
E2542566 - Advance Auto or CarQuest
Also can find the carter part on Amazon.
Advance Auto has a sale that actually beats Amazon - Now ordered. No filter kit. I already have 4 filters of which one I can return.
stoneman30hotmail
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Oct 5 2023, 12:08 PM) *

It is tempting to relocate to front and remove the clugy loops. Though I was proud of the bent over metal lines from the end of the old plastic tunnel line. Also maybe with this pump I can remove the regulator
sixnotfour
Get rid of big filter before pump,, mount pump in its place and just add a straight line to regulator and filter..
This style of pump needs all the gravity on the input side it can get ..
stoneman30hotmail
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 5 2023, 09:25 PM) *

Get rid of big filter before pump,, mount pump in its place and just add a straight line to regulator and filter..
This style of pump needs all the gravity on the input side it can get ..

As in OP, I think that is what killed it to begin with... if that is what is now. Now that I have it on the right line, the filter is the adapter between 10mm and 8 mm. So I can't really switch it out.
I could try moving the whole mess to the front but I think I'll be short of 8 mm fuel line.
I was trying to cover all options since there's a family visit this weekend I wanted to show this off for. But I think I'm at "one last part" as is the case for the last several weeks.
Gint
Years ago I bought a Triumph Spitfire that hadn't run in 10+ years. It had the exact same issue. It would run for about 5 minutes and then quit. Once cooled off again, it would run 5 minutes and then quit. Rinse and repeat over and over again. Rebuilt the pump, new filters, re-routed lines, etc... all that stuff was done. In the end, the problem turned out to be 2 or 3 inches of rust particles clumped up in the fuel pickup line inside the tank. Once that was removed, the problem was gone and the car ran fine.

To determine this, I re-routed the fuel line to the filter/pump to a small gas tank strapped inside the trunk temporarily. This took the fuel tank out of the circuit. The car ran for well for quite some time for the first time since I'd bought it. Then I pulled the hard line out of the tank and found the rust plug.
stoneman30hotmail
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Oct 5 2023, 08:49 AM) *

Relocate the pump up front under the steering rack cover.

I think you win this puzzle. first.gif
After doing this no problem.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...1208&st=40#

Although even after first power up, no fuel. I had to blow in a vacume line, I guess to deareate the line. The pump will not pull anything apparently. So I'm still not sure if I should send back the pump I ordered or just leave it.

I remember now having a rule of thumb with I had a car in the 90's with the rear pump location: 1/4 tank = empty.

But today with the steering rack location I idled it for a while after only having 1.5 gal and then still had enough to go a couple miles to get gas. All with E light on.

Thanks all for playing.
Gint
That's where I put my pump, under the fuel tank (near the steering rack) in the front.
stoneman30hotmail
It stalled one more time. So I put the new pump in. And replaced the tank sock. I also noticed an apparent kink. So, I guess it could have been any of those.
Advance Auto parts doesn't do the package justice. If you go to https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carques...2566/11763907-P it shows some other pump. But what you get is the whole set of carter pump with filter, hose clamps, pump clamp and terminals.
I didn't look in the box well enough and was hunting terminals extra.
porschetub
QUOTE(stoneman30hotmail @ Oct 30 2023, 10:54 AM) *

It stalled one more time. So I put the new pump in. And replaced the tank sock. I also noticed an apparent kink. So, I guess it could have been any of those.
Advance Auto parts doesn't do the package justice. If you go to https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carques...2566/11763907-P it shows some other pump. But what you get is the whole set of carter pump with filter, hose clamps, pump clamp and terminals.
I didn't look in the box well enough and was hunting terminals extra.

That will be the carter pump and yes they have a great ,this pump is supplied by CB performance and a few others suppliers, IMO this is the most popular pump used on here with those running carbs .
You got there in the end ,cheers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.