Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for a source for rechroming bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
There was a guy on the site that was doing them or getting them to Mexico or something. Anyone have a budget source for rechroming?
Gint
Rick!!! wavey.gif

I wore my Area 51 works t-shirt at RRC last weekend. Thinking about ya. We're planning to do Moab for the 20th anniversary RRC next year.
bkrantz
I had mine done in Tucson. About $1000 for front and rear, including some repair work and welding up the front t*t holes.
mepstein
$400-600 seems to be the going rate.
JeffBowlsby
Check this list, A sticky at top of Garage forum.

Porsche 914 New Parts and Specialty Services, Links to Online Resources

Search for Ogden Chrome
ConeDodger
I used Ogden Chrome
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Gint @ Sep 18 2023, 09:29 PM) *

Rick!!! wavey.gif

I wore my Area 51 works t-shirt at RRC last weekend. Thinking about ya. We're planning to do Moab for the 20th anniversary RRC next year.

Love Moab and miss you guys! I have a few project ahead of the next 914 project but I was telling Sandy I really want to go next year. Working on my 6.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 18 2023, 09:52 PM) *

Around here I have been getting quoted 1k each. confused24.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 19 2023, 06:56 AM) *

I get the same unless I send it to California. Certain states are better for certain chemical processes.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 19 2023, 06:18 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 19 2023, 06:56 AM) *

I get the same unless I send it to California. Certain states are better for certain chemical processes.

So that's the question, who are you sending to?
Cairo94507
I tried using Ogden for my front bumper.... they wanted $2,795 and told me that was a great price. Admittedly, it had the GT cooler modification and they needed to weld up 6 holes, but come on, it is essentially a flat smooth bumper.

I ended up using Juan Mejia at Ultimate Quality Bumpers & Wheel Chroming located down in southern CA. He did a very good job, not perfect. Took about 6 weeks. I got his name and number from another member's posting in a thread. Sorry I do not recall who posted it.

Click to view attachment
76-914
@ValcoOscar had some one here in CA that did good chrome work. beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 19 2023, 08:37 AM) *

@ValcoOscar had some one here in CA that did good chrome work. beerchug.gif

I called him a couple times and have sent him a couple PM'ss but he has not responded. I hope he is Ok.
infraredcalvin
Saw Oscar last Sat, he’s been busy. I’m sure he’s just taking a minute to catch his breath…

Is that the six that ran into a pole? I was bummed when you picked that up, that one spoke to me, although I think it ended up in the right hands, I don’t know how I was going to fix that damage!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The bumper shop, very familiar with 914 bumpers

carlos
The Bumper Shop - Coast To Coast
16101 bryant street

north hills, ca 91343

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 18 2023, 07:20 PM) *

There was a guy on the site that was doing them or getting them to Mexico or something. Anyone have a budget source for rechroming?

rick 918-S
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Sep 19 2023, 09:12 AM) *

Saw Oscar last Sat, he’s been busy. I’m sure he’s just taking a minute to catch his breath…

Is that the six that ran into a pole? I was bummed when you picked that up, that one spoke to me, although I think it ended up in the right hands, I don’t know how I was going to fix that damage!

Yup, that's the one. Finally starting on it. It has been a long road.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 19 2023, 09:27 AM) *

carlos
16101 bryant street

north hills, ca 91343

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 18 2023, 07:20 PM) *

Thanks George!
914work
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 19 2023, 07:27 AM) *
carlos
16101 bryant street
north hills, ca 91343

or
Coast To Coast Bumpers, LLC
16101 Bryant St
North Hills, CA 91343
Title: Principal
Phone: (323) 585-3865
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 19 2023, 08:34 AM) *

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Sep 19 2023, 09:12 AM) *

Yup, that's the one. Finally starting on it. It has been a long road.

Nice, wishing you luck and patience! Hopefully you'll continue the build thread on that one... I'll be on the lookout for the thread and rooting for you!
Gint
We did a group buy on bumper rechrome at The Bumper Shop in 2009.

It was only $250 plus shipping at the time. It was not a fantastic job. Driver quality and for the price I was fine with it. Just sayin...
mate914
QUOTE(Gint @ Sep 19 2023, 06:02 PM) *

It was only $250 plus shipping at the time. It was not a fantastic job. Driver quality and for the price I was fine with it. Just sayin...

Can we get another group buy? With the current inflation it should be just shy of infinity.
I have one or two that need done.

Matt
mepstein
QUOTE(mate914 @ Sep 19 2023, 08:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Sep 19 2023, 06:02 PM) *

Can we get another group buy? With the current inflation it should be just shy of infinity.
I have one or two that need done.

Matt

I almost bought a set that was done during the group buy but it was noticeably wavy.
rick 918-S
I called Quality. Just need to dig out the bumpers and send a photo for a quote.
rudedude
Rick,
What about the place in brainerd? I also hear there is someone just south of you, I can find that out if necessary. I also have a rear I would like done, maybe we can pack them together.
Jule
rick 918-S
QUOTE(rudedude @ Sep 20 2023, 09:35 AM) *

Rick,
What about the place in brainerd? I also hear there is someone just south of you, I can find that out if necessary. I also have a rear I would like done, maybe we can pack them together.
Jule

Sight unseen both $1k each. I used to use Northstar Bumper when I had my shop. The place between me and the metro I think sends them to Northstar. 6 to 8 month wait time.
burlybryan
I'm in the Twin Cities too and have a front and rear that need rechroming as well. I haven't dug into it locally at all, but count me in if there is any benefit in a larger order.
burton73
So, what would a fair price be for fresh primo chrome front bumper today? Like this one

Bob B

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mepstein
My opinion- $1k.
flat4guy
In Nor Cal most chrome shops are closing due to California restrictions. Getting harder to find them
Cairo94507
@burton73 - I just paid $995 to have a front chromed and that was the best deal I could find. That does not include the cost of shipping or the actual bumper. I hate to say it but $1,300 for that bumper would be a good deal. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.