Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing the Main Targa Seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
First off, I think anyone that has installed one of these should get a Medal or at least a Merit Badge. I watched the only 2 videos I could find and the 914rubber video clued me in on the trim tool and liquid soap. I tried doing it like Matt suggested but was only able to get about 2-3 inches installed. Even that little bit of success was a eureka moment. After this I thought my arms were going to fall off so I adjourned for the evening. I was convinced that I needed to maintain constant pressure on the seal when installing so this is what I used and DAMN it made my install easy. As in 20 minutes per side.

Good old Zip Ties

Click to view attachment

And Bob's you uncle

Click to view attachment

But you'll need a tool to pull the ties tight enough to work. I broke a few but soon figured out how much force to use. Start at the top and work your way down. As you get the seal in partly re-tighten the ties, rinse and repeat until seated. Work a 2-3 inch section at a time.

Trim tool - use a rag on the end so it doesn't dig into your hand; liquid soap and Zip Tie tool.

Click to view attachment

technicalninja
So,

How do you do it if the windshield is installed???

beerchug.gif

Thanks for posting!

You go through a bunch of zip ties...
76-914
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Sep 20 2023, 06:34 PM) *

So,

How do you do it if the windshield is installed???

beerchug.gif

Thanks for posting!

You go through a bunch of zip ties...

Right you are. I suppose you'd need 2 others with a good grip. But if your 914 was just painted, undergoing resto or you need to R&R the windshield this is the way to go. beerchug.gif
Root_Werks
Neat trick!

I did the slower method of tucking in the seal inch by inch. Frustrating when it would fall out. I think my way around it was to get the inside all tucked in, then tuck a little of the outside in every foot or so. Sort of kept the seal in place while the rest was tucked into place.

No matter how you shake it, targa seals take patience and strong thumbs!

-Dan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.