Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914Rubber Side Stripe Installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jhynesrockmtn
I have done a fair bit of searching here and on the web but wanted to do a final check. I've got my Bumblebee back on the road after a winter and now summer of work. I'm finishing up a few final things including replacing the ugly side stripes that were on the car. I bought the set from 914 rubber. Are these any different than other installs I see on the web?

Decide position, tape hinge at the top, wet area, remove backing and start with a squeegee to place and remove bubbles working carefully. Cut at door gaps, let dry and remove top masking?

This is one set of instructions I found along with a bunch of videos. Most describe doing the install "wet" but can also be done "dry". Can these decals be done either way?

Clean the application area free of all dirt, debris, and waxes...

Now select a distance from the bottom edge of the door, (1/4" for example).

Now find the center point of the word PORSCHE on the stripe, and mark it with a piece of masking tape across the decal.

Now find the center point of your door, and mark with masking tape.

These are your locating coordinates. Pretty easy eh? Now comes the fun part.

With masking tape, tape only the top edge of the decal stripe (in a hanging style, placing the hanging tape points approx 4" apart). Do this along the length of the car/decal. NOTE* Check your bottom edge dstance along the way as you hang the decal into place.

Once you're happy with the positioning; top botom, and center the application begins...

Cut the excess stripe from the front and rear, leaving an extra inch after wrapping around the front and rear fender wells.

Picking the upper edge, pull the backing from at about a 45° angle, always keeping the backing removal pulling pressure in a downward 45° angle. This maintains consistency in your distance from the bottom. NOTE* Always assure the top edge tape hangers maintain their original positions without being pulled or tweaked out of position during application.

With a flexible plastic squeegee and as you're removing the backing, lightly squeegee the decal into position and air bubbles out, using the same 45° downward motion. Do this while staying just behind the backing paper as you remove it for the entire length of the decal.

Now go back over the entire decal with the squeegee assuring good adhesion.

Dont fret over small air bubbles, as a needle can be used to exhaust the air afterwards.

Now you can peel the top off the decal, along the entire length. Almost finished.

With a fine sharp pair of scissors, carefully cut the decal in the middle of the front and rear door seams and wrap the decal around those seams.

Click to view attachment

burton73
I was trying to work out a hot stamping press some 40 years ago. The manufacturer of the machine said to me I’m trying to explain it to you but in the end, its like trying to make love, you just have to try it for yourself.

There are a few ways to do this but, in the end, take the tips in and go for it. I like a wet spray it makes it easier to reposition for me, and it will dry. Pins to pop the bubbles if you can not get them out with a squeegee.

Good luck.

Bob B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOgaRUar5kg
Mikey914
To lubricate, you can buy a special solution, or take spray bottle, add a few drops of dish soap, and about 1 Oz of denatured alcohol.

You can slide into place with solution, then set by squeegee. The pressure needed is just enough yo make it stick.

You can pull the surface paper and further squeegee as necessary to remove bubbles, working to closet edge.

Like stated before, you can get a pretty good feel for it, but will take a little practice to be really good at it.
scallyk9
Regardng placement on the car, there are published specifications from Porsche as to how far above the rockers and also that the rear door line should bisect the "O" on one side and the "H" on the other. The stripes should wrap around the wheel well fender edges.

The stripes with script were actually shipped with the cars and expected to be installed by dealers since the cars were shipped with protective coating.

Not sure where I found the Porsche specs on this but I think it was probably Jeff Bowlsby's LE website.
jhynesrockmtn
Thanks for the replies. It is done. Quite the learning curve with these. The driver side was done first. It looks ok if you don't look too close :-) Passenger side went way faster and looks better. I'm not generally a patient person and this requires a fair bit of deep breathing, measuring, not rushing bubbles out, more measuring, more deep breathing. The wetter the better.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.