Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help on the shape of the trunk lock brace
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DaveB
The brace for the trunk lock was smashed. My guess is when the car was rear-ended someone used a mallet to get the trunk to close. I am working it back into it's original shape but I'm not sure if it has a slight bend on the bottom to form around the lower console panel or if it is straight and I adjust the top further out. I can't get a clear picture on most trunk pictures of this part. This is what I started with:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I've hammered it back into what I think is the right form. Can you look the following picture and let me know if the bends I used are correct or if I need to make adjustments.

Click to view attachment

Next question: behind this brace on the drivers side was this bracket that was spot welded between the lock brace and the console wall.

Click to view attachment

Is this bracket for the license plate light wiring and was it on all years? This is a '75 and I'm retrofitting to early metal bumpers. I am not planning to add the right and left braces on the console that were used in '75 and '76. If this bracket shape was also unique to '75, I'd like to know. Otherwise I'll get is formed and welded back.

Thanks,

DaveB
Luke M
When I replaced the rear panel on my brothers 914 we replaced that bracket with a good one from a parts car. IIRC no matter what we did it wouldn't fit properly plus you could see there was some damage to it. If you are set on using the one that you have then make sure the upper latch mates to the lower prior to welding it all in. I see you plan on doing a bumper backdate so make sure you make and install the middle upper bumper top support. Let me locate some pics of my brothers install and will post them here.
76-914
Maybe this helps

Click to view attachment
DaveB
QUOTE(Luke M @ Sep 29 2023, 01:25 PM) *

When I replaced the rear panel on my brothers 914 we replaced that bracket with a good one from a parts car. IIRC no matter what we did it wouldn't fit properly plus you could see there was some damage to it. If you are set on using the one that you have then make sure the upper latch mates to the lower prior to welding it all in. I see you plan on doing a bumper backdate so make sure you make and install the middle upper bumper top support. Let me locate some pics of my brothers install and will post them here.

I didn't know about a middle upper bumper top support. I have a bumper top arriving in a week for a test fit + a lot more work to do before I have the trunk hinged in for a mating check. Any pictures you have on a similar conversion would be great. - Thanks!

I'm not set on using the bracket. I couldn't find a replacement and decided to fix what I had. Hopefully that decision doesn't bite me in the butt.

This will give you an idea of what I'm dealing with on the back end. This is what the 914 looked like when picked-up. The bumper center plate was pushed in about 2 to 3 inches. All the alignment points for the suspension were in spec.

Click to view attachment

Trunk floor is removed and wanted to see how it fits with the bottom of the lock bracket. The console is being aligning with bumper and lid in this picture. Gaps are not where not where I want. Nothing is drilled or welded in. I am making fender adjustments this weekend for the console fit.

Click to view attachment

Thanks,

DaveB

DaveB
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 29 2023, 05:12 PM) *

Maybe this helps

Perfect - that's what I needed to see.

DaveB
Luke M
The bracket has a little bend to it towards the bottom. Don't forget to add the outer support plate and the upper pad support to the RD rear panel. Pics attached.
Did this to my brothers 914.
76-914
I don't believe US 75-76 use that support piece. I could be wrong though. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 2 2023, 10:13 AM) *

I don't believe US 75-76 use that support piece. I could be wrong though. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

You are right. Big bumpers don’t have the support. It’s just for the rubber bumper on a 70-74
Luke M
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 2 2023, 07:20 AM) *

Click to view attachment

You are right. Big bumpers don’t have the support. It’s just for the rubber bumper on a 70-74

I know but op said he was backdating his bumpers. Therefore he would want to add this while he's there welding away.
mepstein
QUOTE(Luke M @ Oct 2 2023, 03:24 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 2 2023, 07:20 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I know but op said he was backdating his bumpers. Therefore he would want to add this while he's there welding away.

Got it. I didn’t read enough of the thread. Worth having if you are backdating bumpers. beerchug.gif
DaveB
QUOTE(Luke M @ Oct 2 2023, 06:21 AM) *

The bracket has a little bend to it towards the bottom. Don't forget to add the outer support plate and the upper pad support to the RD rear panel. Pics attached.

@Luke M Is the outer support plate 19-Gauge or a thicker plate like 14-Gauge?

Thanks,

DaveB
Luke M
QUOTE(DaveB @ Oct 4 2023, 09:46 AM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ Oct 2 2023, 06:21 AM) *

@Luke M Is the outer support plate 19-Gauge or a thicker plate like 14-Gauge?

Thanks,

DaveB

Hi Dave,

I'll take a look when I get home and report back.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.