Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early vs Late 914 part identification
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Patient914Guy
After finally digging into my 914 that has been stored for years, I have come to realize it's a Frankenteener. It's titled as a 74 2.0 and the Vin in the window is right for that year but I have found the body to be of Jan 72 vintage. The engine is a GA series 2.0 so now I'm wondering about suspension and brakes, etc. I have a feeling that I will need to research every piece to determine early vs late. Any advice on making the process easier is appreciated.

Ted
mepstein
Is it clipped or a vin switch? I have a 914 with a 74 vin but an early body. It was “restored” by a shop but really just pieced together from many random spare parts. Some things change on different years. Early wheels are 70-71 but early trans ( tail shift) was 70-72. Early bumpers 80-74, etc.
There is no guide to early vs late but if you can post pictures, it’s easy to tell.

welcome.png
Gint
Why do you think it's a 72 body? Are you certain of that? If so, what leads you to believe that?
Gint
And just a friendly poke.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Patient914Guy
QUOTE(Gint @ Sep 29 2023, 10:36 PM) *

And just a friendly poke.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Definitely a 74 VIN put in the window of an earlier tub. It's not a clip since the whole body sports the original Willow green under the current white.

Looks like I'll just post when I have questions on specific parts.

Click to view attachment
Patient914Guy
Click to view attachment
Patient914Guy
Click to view attachment
BENBRO02
I’d be worried that someone stole the 72 and then switched the windshield VIN plate.
Literati914
What’s the build date code @ the right rear trunk floor?

Jack Standz
Willow green only available as stock in '71 & '72.

Two different VINs.

Tend to agree that it's probably an earlier car with a different and later VIN added in the windshield area. Might be stolen or trying to make this into a later 2 liter car? Something strange or nefarious going on here?
wonkipop
@Patient914Guy

The Karmann Production Plate roughly stacks up with the Vin in the front trunk.

its about 9.5 K into 72 MY production.
lets say they built a 100 a day. which they kind of did approximately.
thats about 19-20 weeks of production after 72 start up.
which is around Aug of 1971. (whether its the start of august or later not sure).
19-20 weeks after aug 71 lands at 2nd or 3rd week of Dec 71 at a minimum.
possibly a little later in reality- more like some time in Jan 72.
The K plate says its week 4 of the calendar year its made in (but never indicates the year itself). week 4 = Jan. its a tuesday car. probably 25th Jan 1972.

If the Vin in the windscreen was correct, that would make it about 2.5K into 74 MY production. or about 5-6 weeks into production (assuming a 100 a day).
that would put it at sept 1973 sometime for a K plate. the K plate would have from 36 to 40 as the first two numbers. The Vin in the windscreen does not even come close to the K plate.

L63 on the K plate checks out for willow green.
no willow green in 74 MY as other posters point out.

my conclusion like others is the windscreen Vin plate is suss.

beerchug.gif

i'd probably agree with Jack Standz suggestion that its a "faked up" 2.0 from way back in the day. could be passed off as one if you were not observant enough to check the other vin stamps. not necessarily stolen. the 2.0 engine in the car kind of points to the fake up.

i've spotted a couple of 74MY 2.0s on BAT that i don't think could ever have been real 2.0s. they were built during the period Nov 73 to Jan 74 and from all the research we have been doing on L jets, all they built for those three months were 1.8 L jets, no 2.0 L cars.
brant
A thousand folks
Including myself
Have put 2.0 into early chassis

But I would guess hardly any of those people would change a vin
It’s illegal for one thing

I would guess there was a good insurance reason someone changed the vin

Totaled car? Flood damage? Or stolen most likely

Has to be a nefarious reason for someone to break the law
rhodyguy
Attempt to avoid a branded title?
mepstein
But in the other hand, like mine, there’s a good chance it happened 20.30.40 years ago and what’s done is done.
Blue6
Ted, if you have a cop friend, ask him or her to run the VIN stamped in the frunk for “information only”. That way if it does come back stolen it doesn’t set off all the bells and whistles. If it isn’t reported stolen, it will probably come back no record on file. Either way, it’s going to require a trip to your department of motor vehicles. Are you in contact with the seller? Ask him or her to shed some light. Recommend you be proactive. It won’t fix itself.
Patient914Guy
I've actually owned the car for 20+ years. The window VIN and title matched at purchase so I didn't check any further. I drove it for a bit until an engine knock developed. Life happened before I got it on the road again and Its been garage stored ever since. No contact with the previous owner and his name is lost to time. I 'll see what I can find out from the DMV. Not sure what kind of resolution would be involved if they did turn up something. Guess we'll find out. Will keep everyone posted.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.