Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP Needed - Now FIXED.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elvira
Need Help. Car stopped running and will not restart. Clay & Betty are here trying to help. Current diagnosis is that Distributor Cap & Rotor are needed. 3.0 CIS Motor.

Local Porsche shops don't open till Monday. Gonna try to find needed part at the track.

Please call or text if you have what I need.
702 340 3405.
sixnotfour
fuel pressure ? lift air flow plate ,,air cleaner off..injectors squeel. No squeel, unplug saftey switch backside of
plunger housing, fuel pump should run all times, ign switch on,,
sixnotfour
hope this helps.. beerchug.gif Wish I was There...
76-914
sad.gif Clay is sharp and I doubt he missed anything but I have to ask. Is the center contact in the cap (the coil contact) worn down so far it isn't making contact with the rotor?
mate914
Those 3.0 CSI engines are tanks. Most of the time there cane be multiple things wrong and it will still run, but rough. Not starting at all is only a few things. Volt meter and check cap and rotor. Check CDI or MSD function and Ohm out wires. Ohm out coil.

Hope this helps.
Matt
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(Elvira @ Sep 30 2023, 07:28 AM) *

Need Help. Car stopped running and will not restart. Clay & Betty are here trying to help. Current diagnosis is that Distributor Cap & Rotor are needed. 3.0 CIS Motor.

Local Porsche shops don't open till Monday. Gonna try to find needed part at the track.

Please call or text if you have what I need.
702 340 3405.

Do you have part numbers? I might have what you need… cap rotor and silver coil, but wont be getting till track till noonish…
Dominic
I texted DUG since he is local (Santa Cruz) to see if he has the parts.

If you are looking for Bosch 1 235 522 060 (Bosh 03014) distributor cap (not sure if it's the same for a 3.0L), it also fits all of these vehicles as well:

BMW
71 2.8 Bavaria Base
69-71 2500 Base
69-71 2800 Base
69-71 2800CS Base
72-74 3.0CS Base
72-74 3.0CSi Base
72-74 3.0S Base
72-74 Bavaria Base

Mercedes Benz
69 230 Base
68-70 250 Base
70-72 250C Base
69-71 280S Base
72 280SE 4.5
70-72 280SE Base
68-69 300SEL Base

Porsche
68,74 911 Base
74-75 911 Carrera
68 911 L
69-77 911 S
69-73 911 (submodel: E, T)
70-71 914 6

Volvo
70-71 164 Base
infraredcalvin
Hmmm, maybe not, these are for my 3 liter early turbo… happy to donate any of these if it’ll work on your car or in a parts trade that’ll get you running…

Cap and rotor:
Click to view attachment

ClayPerrine
Cap was hanging by one clip. It tilted and caused a backfire. We have spark from the coil wire, but nothing on #1 and #3. It tries to run on a few cylinders, but not enough to make any power. I think the cap is hosed.
infraredcalvin
Coil:
Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
I can't verify part numbers here.
infraredcalvin
Btw, pelican and Smc among others have booths, they may be able to rush a part up here too…
PatMc
Tried calling...went to voicemail.

It's a bit of a trek, but the Parts Authority / IMC in San Jose has a bosch 03008 cap in stock in they're open till 3:00 today.

Not sure if they'll sell over the counter to walk in customers...call 'em and ask. If they won't, I can put it on my acct on will call for you and we can settle up later.
mate914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 30 2023, 12:11 PM) *

Cap was hanging by one clip. It tilted and caused a backfire. We have spark from the coil wire, but nothing on #1 and #3. It tries to run on a few cylinders, but not enough to make any power. I think the cap is hosed.

I think the cap is also bad. Have access to a volt meter? I can get you the ohm numbers. Does the magnetic pick up look damaged from loose cap, bent and now missing on those cylinders?
Matt
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mate914 @ Sep 30 2023, 11:39 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 30 2023, 12:11 PM) *

I think the cap is also bad. Have access to a volt meter? I can get you the ohm numbers. Does the magnetic pick up look damaged from loose cap, bent and now missing on those cylinders?
Matt

No access to a volt meter. Visually inspected the reluctor. Didn't see anything wrong.
dug
Sorry I checked and don't have any 3.0 ignition bits.
JamesJ
QUOTE(PatMc @ Sep 30 2023, 09:31 AM) *

Tried calling...went to voicemail.

It's a bit of a trek, but the Parts Authority / IMC in San Jose has a bosch 03008 cap in stock in they're open till 3:00 today.

Not sure if they'll sell over the counter to walk in customers...call 'em and ask. If they won't, I can put it on my acct on will call for you and we can settle up later.

@PatMC @Elvira
IMC is 20 minutes from me. They do not take walk-ins and I don't have an account, but I can pick up what is needed if part number(s) can be verified. I will be arriving at Rennsport tomorrow morning.
Elvira
Thank you all for your offers, information and support. Found one at Fastlane in Santa Cruz. Headed there now to pick up the parts. Wish us luck.
Gint
Good Luck JP!!!
mate914
QUOTE(Elvira @ Sep 30 2023, 01:20 PM) *

Thank you all for your offers, information and support. Found one at Fastlane in Santa Cruz. Headed there now to pick up the parts. Wish us luck.

@Elvira
The shop your going too should have a volt meter. Take your bad cap and check it there.
Also good rule for every one. Get a volt meter and lean how to use it.

I hope it works for you.
Matt
Elvira
Got the parts in hand. Thanks Mario and Tim at Fastlane.
Headed back to see if it solves the problem.
Elvira
SUCCESS.
Click to view attachment
Thanks Clay and Betty.
StarBear
We all LOVE happy endings here. Great job, folks! piratenanner.gif
rick 918-S
Clay is the man! beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
Elvira
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 30 2023, 02:24 PM) *

You can say that again.
Maltese Falcon
Up and running is a good thing ! Tim and Mario at Fast Lane, Betty & Clay in the parts shuttle car The Best!!
Cairo94507
You just can't find better people anywhere. smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif
Literati914
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Sep 30 2023, 02:46 PM) *

..Betty & Clay in the parts shuttle car The Best!!
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 30 2023, 02:48 PM) *

You just can't find better people anywhere. smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif

This is true, you were so lucky to have them around !! beerchug.gif

Elvira
Family Reunion.
mate914
Can we see pics of bad cap?
Matt
Elvira
@mate914
Click to view attachment
I don't see anything?
Dominic
good to hear you got the parts. I have to see if J West can fix my side shift coupler bushings tomorrow morning...apparently mine turned to dust (after 50 years)

Dave_Darling
I'd hold out for the 914rubber bushings. The ones that are commonly-available are for the 911, and the center hole is a bit oblong.

--DD
mate914
QUOTE(Elvira @ Sep 30 2023, 09:31 PM) *

@mate914
Click to view attachment
I don't see anything?

Wow, the tip of your rotor is brunt off.
I am glad you got it going again.
Matt

rgalla9146

When I heard the words '3.0' 'CIS' and 'backfire' I immediately said to myself...plastic
intake manifold. Kablamo ! Glad I was wrong.
Good job Clay and the 914 team!
rick 918-S
Heading to one of the WCR events Sandy and I stopped to eat. Came out and the Alien wouldn't start. Check the cap and found a deep carbon track under coil boot. I cleaned the house out as good as I could and said wish I had something to seal that carbon track. Sandy said how about finger nail polish? cheer.gif 20 minutes later we were back on the road. assimilate.gif
jim_hoyland
Great story and ending.
Isn’t the center post on the cap replaceable ?
jim_hoyland
Is carriying a spare cap essential ?
ejm
QUOTE(Dominic @ Sep 30 2023, 10:06 PM) *

good to hear you got the parts. I have to see if J West can fix my side shift coupler bushings tomorrow morning...apparently mine turned to dust (after 50 years)

Quick fix when you're on the road is to slip a couple of 14mm sockets into the coupler as bushings and wrap it with duct tape to keep them there.
Dominic
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 30 2023, 08:27 PM) *

I'd hold out for the 914rubber bushings. The ones that are commonly-available are for the 911, and the center hole is a bit oblong.

--DD

Thanks Dave, I got it all sorted this morning, J West had the proper bushing and some friends in the paddock helped me install them. Nice tight fit, no play! $8.00 well spent.

Thanks,
Dominic

Geezer914
I have Mallory Unilite in my 914. I have always carried a spare cap, rotor and points or ignition module. You never know!
StarBear
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Oct 1 2023, 06:57 PM) *

I have Mallory Unilite in my 914. I have always carried a spare cap, rotor and points or ignition module. You never know!

agree.gif And coil.
ClayPerrine
Back home and on the computer.

I think the cap and rotor on Elvira may have been a non Bosch copy. The retaining clips on the distributor didn't fit tight,and the rotor was slightly indented in the middle. I am thinking a Chinese copy that caused the clip to come off due to it being a couple of millimeters shorter than an original.

The new one was definitely a Bosch part, and it fit much better. And the most important thing is that it worked.

John got home OK, so happy endings all around!

Sm914650
Im sitting here reading this on the side of the road off the freeway in Castroville waiting for a tow back to the mechanic in the Peninsula right now. Glad I was able to make it thru the week at least beer3.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 2 2023, 01:46 PM) *

I think the cap and rotor on Elvira may have been a non Bosch copy.

Old cap says: 1235 522 053. And: 983.
Rotor says: 1 234 33. Also: 2346 R1. And: 983 2.4.
4 years old, I think.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.