Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Production date
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
sixaddict
Is there any way to determine production date if sticker is gone and COA says information not available (boo)?
76-914
IIRC, somewhere on the right side rear area of the trunk there is a chassis code stamped.
sixaddict
So there is a number but it doesn’t refer to date….does it??
friethmiller
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Oct 4 2023, 01:43 PM) *

So there is a number but it doesn’t refer to date….does it??

No, it does. It'll tell you the date the chassis was built. It's not the production date but pretty close, i think. What about the number on the fender in the front trunk? That's the serial# and it should tell you the prod date, I believe. There's the same number on the inner windshield, as well.
davep
For a 914/6 the production # and the Karmann body # are just sequential numbers unrelated to a date.
For a 914/4 the production # and the Karmann body # are date related, but I believe them to be dates the body was welded up, and / or painted. They are certainly before the completion date. The system I discovered to break it down falls apart a bit in 1975 when the 914 was not the only car being counted by the system.
The best location to determine a completion date remains the compliance decal, and if it is gone then you need comparative data. I have made a study to help assist in this. BTW, the CoA and such generally provide the shipping invoice date
sixaddict
Davep ….
.Thanks ….finally someone that actually has the facts.
The reason for my question is the COA (for its relatively high cost) does not have a completion date ….”Information Not Available” and the compliance sticker is gone.
Trying to order a new one so looking for date to include on the sticker.
I guess I’ll need to extrapolate to get close. I have an idea……getting someone with a vin that is very close and get their completion date..
What say you?
Thanks again
sixaddict
Need some help…..
Since production completion date is not available I am thinking of ways to reconstruct.
So my six is number 1154…….
If you have something close (like 20 in either direction….so 1134 to 1174) could you either post or pm me with details of your vin and production date. Assuming that would be in the same month. I may be able to expand beyond those parameters but figured that’s worth a start.
TIA
davep
03/70 from 9140430729 through 9140431187
note the dot arrangement for the 7 in the 70
Click to view attachment
sixaddict
Thanks Dave!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.