Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Phase II of my Restoration of my '76 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Gatornapper
The first part of my purchase and rebuild/restoration of my '76 914 is in Virginia Teener but I thought I should put Phase II in a 2nd thread.

In review, maybe I should recap the basics of Phase I started in Sept. of 2017. I'll try to do a condensed version:

Car was abandoned in good friend's barn in 2005 an hour from where I live west of Richmond, VA. Friend asked me to buy it from the owner - another friend - who refused to move it. ME: "Sorry don't want a 914. They are VW's that are rust-buckets." FRIEND: "It's in really good condition and was running perfectly when parked in 2005. You should at least come look at it."

I did, body was in very good condition with little rust. Found out after purchase it was an LA car (sold in Placenta). Owner raced 911's & 914's, wanted $7k. No way, offered $3k. He took it, albeit with much grumbling & griping. Driving home with 914 on my car trailer I wondered, 'What in the world have I gotten myself into?" I had never driven a 914 and knew so little about them.

This forum was my 914 'salvation'. Everyone here has been incredibly helpful from day 1 and I have no words for my appreciation for all of you.

Car's condition:

The good: 911 Master cylinder, BMW 320i front brakes, little rust, car super-tight. Paint a 1st class job, but oxidized on lids. New rack & pinion. Scotty Burnett inspects car - says one of most rust-free 914's he's ever seen.

The bad: Tank ouf of car, badly corrupted. Carbs horrible from years of gas left in them - almost beyond recovery. Dead battery. Tires shot. Rear brakes seized.

It was about a year's work to get car on road.

Long list of work:

Rebuilt carbs 3x. New jets, new idle jets. Studied book on Weber's. I'm pretty good carb guy, but never seen Weber's. Had dual IDF-44's which everyone said were too big for everyday driving. (Local Porsche dealer installed the carbs at PO's request, telling him they were too big.) New fuel lines.

All new ignition including EI. Dizzy was 009.

New rear brakes from PMB/Eric. New racing front brake pads made huge difference.
Other help from Eric too - thank you. Complete flush of all brake lines.

New tires.

Got car running and just driving up my 1/2 mile drive at 15mph - I knew I had a phenomenal car and was ecstatic.

Handling blew me away.

Took me a year to dial in the carbs. Finally got 44's running great for every day driving, but a bit louder than I like. Oh, well.

Drove car for 4 years/6k miles, loving it. Worked on tons of details:

Found/installed 050 dizzy - thank you Brant - and car's running and performance improved noticeably.

Replace many pieces of trim/visors, etc. Thank you 914rubber.com/Mike.

Dr. Phil gave me his like new 75 front bumper - mine was trash. Also sold me OEM Fog Lights - dramatically improving ugliness of big black front bumper.

Rick Berkowitz - local 914 friend/Porsche encyclopedia helped me with a million things, lots of pieces and parts including a nice front spoiler.

Found & had powder-coated nice set of original Mahle's that tranformed the car.

All new shift bushings.

Welded/closed lots of rusted thru areas on muffer, repaired issues with heat exchangers.

New Relay Board & relays, starter, alternator.

New ThunderSpark plug wires.

New fuel tank, new stainless fuel lines installed.

Installed fuel pressure regulator & gauge in engine bay to keep pressure precisely at 3 psi for Weber's.

New thermostat from Tangerine Racing.

New tail light bezels - European from Sierra Madre. Sorry - my preference.

Installed LED headlights, all LED's in all other lights.

Powder-coated engine tins.

Tons of other minor items fixed/repaired/renewed.

This was Phase I.

Started Phase II on August 5th, 2022.

GN

PS: I must say thank you to George as well. He's always been available for my incessant questions - while always screaming about how the 44's will ruin my engine by running too rich. At the same time I've sure sent a lot of money to Auto Atlanta over the last 6 years...... ;-)
Gatornapper
Phase II of my 914 restoration has been part of my original plan since I purchased the car. I loved driving the car so much, I just had to take a few years enjoying driving this incredible machine before tackling Phase II.

Phase II plan included:

* Restore paint to original Malaga Red - a rare and beautiful 914 color. Include repair of
every bit of rust. That is covered in my thread "Back to Original Malaga Red..."

* Do top-end rebuild of engine with 2056 pistons, cylinders, new heads.

* Do complete rebuild of 901 tranny. 1st gear synchro was gone, 2nd a problem on
maybe 10 - 15% of shifts.

* Do further improvements to shift linkage - already very tight, but want even better.

* Install 123ignition distributor

* Install new exhaust muffler

There is a Phase III planned - in 12 months after Phase II is finished:

* Install complete original 914 BROWN interior that I have, including new door cards
from 914 Rubber. Will complement Malaga Red perfectly. New brown carpet from 914
Rubber too.

* Install original D-Jet system which I have already completely rebuilt and just need new
injectors. DrPhil graciously has run my ECU and TPS in his car and they are fine- after
he carefully cleaned the TPS. I used to work on Bosch FI systems in the '70's. I will
want to bore throttle-body to 50mm or find replacement.

* Install front anti-sway bar. Car has none now.

* Install almost like-new /no crack dash given to me by Steve Anderson 4 years ago.
An 8 hour project...

Phase II commenced on August 5th of last year with the dropping of the engine with my 914 partner, Rick Berkowitz.

IPB Image
IPB Image

GN
76-914
I would heed George's advice re: those 44's and washing down the cylinder walls. There is a reason new cars rack up 200K easily. beerchug.gif
Gatornapper
I hear you. Will be adjusting them using AFR meter.........

GN

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 8 2023, 10:50 AM) *

I would heed George's advice re: those 44's and washing down the cylinder walls. There is a reason new cars rack up 200K easily. beerchug.gif

Gatornapper
HUGE DAY YESTERDAY! ENGINE IN THE 914! Been out for over 14 months!

Just before & after pics.....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

After....

IPB Image

IPB Image

Have pics of tranny rebuild and engine top end I will try to add later......sorry, just not good a moment by momend documetation - just too many things going on at once.....

But yesterday was huge....

GN

Gatornapper
The plan is also to put the original D-Jet back on the engine after everything else gets done.

Most of it is tested and ready to go as I think I noted earlier. Been going through it for about 4 years.......or more.......

If I cannot get a good AFR with the 44's, I'll try to trade them even to someone who has some nice IDF-40's. biggrin.gif

GN

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 8 2023, 10:50 AM) *

Front yard mechanic
Nice looking engine / transmission and garage it’s like a where’s Waldo book biggrin.gif
Gatornapper
Somewhat true. EVERY wall is either shelf, cabinet, pegboard, workbench, tool, or window or door. A full shop with my own hardware store stock for most everything.

I have absolutely no storage space left. 40' x 26' should have been 50' x 30'. Has 3 cars and 5 motorcycles.

I now am storing some of my tools in my lower 24' x 20' garage for my 928 & 944 - but mostly duplicates for down there.

Then there are my 2 - sheds 12' x 20' and 8' x 12' that are full of 40 years of junk......

I'm hopeless.......

GN

QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Oct 13 2023, 07:11 AM) *

Nice looking engine / transmission and garage it’s like a where’s Waldo book biggrin.gif

Gatornapper
I apologize for lack of posts and pics of my Phase II restoration.

I just have too many things going on and am not one to focus on documentation.

Oct. 4th - engine top-end rebuild complete with new P's & C's & heads - 2056cc.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Engine complete, ready for start-up today:

IPB Image

GN

Gatornapper
New EMPI 40 (IDF-40 clone) carbs, 123ignition Distributor ready to go.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

New starter as well.

Going for startup shortly - will video.

GN

BTW - Nice rebuilt Weber IDF-44's for sale. Carbs only, but with velocity stacks.
Cairo94507
smilie_pokal.gif popcorn[1].gif beerchug.gif
Root_Werks
Looks clean!

Best of luck with the start up!

driving.gif
Gatornapper
Started the engine tonight - and wow! It has never run better!

Could not believe how well it ran considering all initial carb settings were rough.

All good noises from engine as we warmed it up and it ran smoother and smoother. It was in mid-fifties when we started it and carbs have no chokes or enricheners.

Couldn't take it out for a drive though - have some oil leaks at top of pushrod tubes on the right I need to address.

Could not be more pleased with how the engine ran and sounds.

Can't wait to get it on the road now......

GN
Gatornapper
Cairo94507 & Root_Werks -

THANKS GUYS!

GN

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Dec 28 2023, 05:33 PM) *

Looks clean!

Best of luck with the start up!

driving.gif

Gatornapper
Cairo94507 & Root_Werks -

THANKS GUYS!

GN

Gatornapper
Some tranny rebuild pics I should have posted long ago.....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

GN
Gatornapper
Replaced bad Loose Gear Wheel - 1st gear (center), Shifting Gear for 1st gear and Reverse Gear (left)[both had bad dog teeth], Sychronizer Ring (right):

Also took good 5th gear Syncro and put it in 2nd, and 4th gear Synchro and put it in 3rd, 3rd gear Synchro and put it in 4th as per Mike's video instructions.

All other gears, synchos & dog teeth looked like new. Only had issues with no synchro in 1st, 1 out of 10 "crunches" going from 1st to 2nd. 66,777 original miles on car.

IPB Image
Gatornapper
Small other part - old Pedal Board was cracked & beaten. Made a new one out of 5/16" fiberboard I had in stock as original was 1/4".......more better.........

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Gatornapper
HAPPY HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!

Hope this is your BEST YEAR ever! Especially with your 914!

And a million thanks for all who have helped and guided me on my now almost 7th year of retoring my sweet '76 914. I could not have done it without all the help here.

That includes so many: Dr. Phil914, Anderssj, Spoke, Mikey914 (914rubber), George Hussey, mb911, Brant, 914Sixer, Chris Foley, mlinder, and too many others to list - sorry if you were one of many who have helped me and I left you out!

Oh - George - l did take off the IDF-44's and replaced them with 40's.......D-Jet is next, probably this summer......

GN
Gatornapper
Spent day working on pulling out old carpet to replace - ARGHHH on driver's side seat belt bolt and parking brake handle!

Found moldboard behind NTM brown interior behind seats is bad & missing clips - was just ripped out. Need to repair some cracks in my original with fiberglass then transfer brown vinyl to my moldboard.

Put my original tracks on brown seats so they'll be ready to go in soon.

Any tips on how to get E-brake handle off it's pin are greatly appreciated. Removed 13mm bolt, oiled pin that handle rotates on, and could not get handle off pin even using large screwdriver as a wedge. Searched with no success for tips.

Advice on removing handle so I can remove old carpet and install new is greatly appreciated.

GN
Gatornapper
My son who can bench press 400 lbs. and cycle 100 miles in mountains got it off.

piratenanner.gif

GN
Gatornapper
NTM brown door vinyl transferred to new door cards from 914rubber - looking nice....lighting in pic makes them look a different color - they are same.

IPB Image

Brown seats all ready to go in as well. Waiting on carpet & transferring brown vinyl to rear mouldboard that goes behind seats which needs some minor patching.

I think the brown interior and Malaga Red will make each other pop.

Or did I already say that?

GN
Gatornapper
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

HALLELUJAH! After engine going bad in November of 2021, dropping engine on August 4 of 2022, getting engine back in the car on October 11, 2023, my sweeet Ruby 914 got back on the road YESTERDAY RUNNING AND SHIFTING LIKE A DREAM about 4 pm EST!

Rick & I were just too excited to drive the car to take time for pics or videos - maybe tomorrow. Rick has an almost Concours '72 914 with rebuilt 2.0 and he admitted he was a bit jealous both of how the engine idled, ran and shifted. He's now planning a tranny rebuild after helping me do mine. Will be downhill for him.

I could not be more pleased. New paint, new interior (part-way), new engine, new carbs, new 123Dizzy, new tranny........what more could a 914 lover ask for? Essentially - I HAVE A NEW CAR!

Rick B. & I each drove the car for almost 10 miles each carefully breaking in new top-end. Just need to tweak the idle adjustment screws when the engine's good and hot to get the idle speed down. Surprised at great throttle response, power & smoothness when carefully not reving or loading the engine - speaks for great things to come once engine is broken in.

As aways, many thanks to all here who have helped me along the way.

GN

PS: Yes, I was very busy from Nov. '21 with 924 Turbo restoration, getting & driving my 944 S and 5-speed '81 928, and building a 2-car garage. Why the 914 did not have top priority - and at my age it was wonderful being able to take my time.
Gatornapper
headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

Well, all was well for about 20+ miles of twisty road driving & shifting under "break-in" restraints ........when quite suddenly......

4th & 5th gear DISAPPEARED COMPLETELY! Like going into neutral. Zip. Zero. Nada in both.

Nursed her home in 3rd keeping RPM low.

No noise. Checked linkage - new bronze/brass bushings & tighter than ever. No problem there - shift lever going exactly where it should.

Only think it can be is that I forgot to tighten the bolt on the 4/5 fork shaft leaving the shaft to slide without moving fork.

So have to pull the tranny and go inside it before I can continue the joy of driving my new 914. At least the engine is running perfectly.

A warning: Beware of tackling complex projects when you are in your late '70's, regardless of how much experience you have! We forget & miss things! But at least I'm still wrenching........

Wondering how many have dropped their tranny without dropping the engine? Mike Lesniak (Dr. Evil) does it most of the time & think I have the proceedure pretty well planned with my lift. Special designed support for rear of engine and special cradle for tranny to fit on top of my motorcycle lift table.....will take pics once they are built.

GN

PS: What totally does not make sense is that tranny shifted perfectly in all gears for about 1/2 hour's driving with almost non-stop shifting. Was not a gradual loss, but sudden. If 4/5 fork bolt was loose - how did it do so many shifts flawlessly? Then go suddenly instead of gradually? Seems it first would have failed to engage gears totally, then get worse. Anyone have any ideas?
dax1969
Wondering how many have dropped their tranny without dropping the engine? Mike Lesniak (Dr. Evil) does it most of the time & think I have the proceedure pretty well planned with my lift. Special designed support for rear of engine and special cradle for tranny to fit on top of my motorcycle lift table.....will take pics once they are built.

Sad to hear this, hope you have no further internal damage.

I removed tranmission last year without dropping the engine to replace the seal (and installed new clutch etc). I also used a motorcycle jack and a few blocks. Went in and out pretty easy

good luck

krgds
Dax

Click to view attachment
Gatornapper
Dax -

Thanks for the encouragement - glad to hear it is easy. It does look so simple. 3 bolts on engine after I remove starter, 2 on tail of tranny. SO GLAD I don't have to drop engine - it is doing so well right where it is.

I do have the motorcycle lift you showed, but I have always used my HF lift table to drop the engine and will do same with the tranny.

Still love to hear from anyone who has an idea of what happened. Can't see that it is anything except the locking bolt on the 4/5 fork that holds the fork tightly to the 4/5 slider rod.

Good news is there are no noises coming from the tranny. We put the car on the lift yesterday and while I watched & listened, Rick (Richb45) was in the car, engine running, putting it through all gears.

One strange thing: when he was in 4 or 5, the wheels spun....but not at 4/5 increased RPM. Very slowly, more like 1st gear. But clearly engine and tranny were not connected.

GN

QUOTE(dax1969 @ Jan 9 2024, 05:28 AM) *

Sad to hear this, hope you have no further internal damage.

I removed tranmission last year without dropping the engine to replace the seal (and installed new clutch etc). I also used a motorcycle jack and a few blocks. Went in and out pretty easy

good luck

krgds
Dax

Click to view attachment

Cairo94507
@Gatornapper - I hope you get this addressed and it is exactly what you believe. But the great news is your engine is running great. You are my hero and I pray I am still playing with my Six when I get a few more years on me. beerchug.gif
Gatornapper
Thanks bro!

The best news is how the engine is purring, & starting like new.

Today in low 50's here, rain, but dry in garage.

Even w/o chokes or enricheners, engine starts on 1st rev, & even cold it purrs in 1 minute! How do it do that? Yes - the engine and how it's running is a joy right now.

Tranny issue cannot be major - just fairly simple unbolting/re-bolting things. More time you do it, less time it takes the next time!

And I love fixing things that are broke. Not as much when I broke them, but still IT FEELS SO GOOD WHEN YOU FIX SOMETHING THAT WAS BROKEN! There is more joy in something working - no matter how simple it is - after you fixed it than there ever was before it was broken!

Words of a 78 year old Wrench Philosopher!

Not unlike finding something that was lost. Not appreciated until it is lost. Then, when found, it is of far more value!

Even came up with new way to support rear of engine prior to removing tranny I think that may be a real find for others if it works. We'll see.

GN

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 9 2024, 09:31 AM) *

@Gatornapper - I hope you get this addressed and it is exactly what you believe. But the great news is your engine is running great. You are my hero and I pray I am still playing with my Six when I get a few more years on me. beerchug.gif

Gatornapper
Nothing wrong with linkage - new brass/bronze bushings in several places, really tight:

1st:
IPB Image

2nd:
IPB Image

3rd:
IPB Image

4th:
IPB Image

5th:
IPB Image

GN
Dlee6205
I'm not saying its necessarily related to your problem but I believe that bronze side shift console bushing is facing the wrong direction.

Click to view attachment
Gatornapper
Doug -

AH! Thank you! Circlip goes on outside of box?

Pulling the rod as I am dropping tranny so easy to correct now.

Thank you.

Don't think it has caused a problem tho. Seems like the extended brass is equal on both sides of the box.......

GN

QUOTE(Dlee6205 @ Jan 9 2024, 08:38 PM) *

I'm not saying its necessarily related to your problem but I believe that bronze side shift console bushing is facing the wrong direction.

Click to view attachment

Gatornapper
My Bad! I see it here and can't wait to correct it!

I can see how that would hinder full engagement in 1st, 3rd & 5th......

I'll correct that tomorrow and see if it effects anything. Don't see how it would affect 4th tho......

IPB Image

GN

[quote name='Gatornapper' date='Jan 9 2024, 08:42 PM' post='3122770']
Doug -

AH! Thank you! Circlip goes on outside of box?

Pulling the rod as I am dropping tranny so easy to correct now.

Thank you.

Don't think it has caused a problem tho. Seems like the extended brass is equal on both sides of the box.......

GN
worn

Good luck! You have been inspiring. I hope my ‘76 will follow soon. Now, where to strap in the alligator? My mother was an artist. She took hundreds of photos from Life magazine to make collages on my bedroom wall. One of these showed an alligator safely strapped in to the back seat. I miss her, but hope you have a gator approved ride.
Gatornapper
Thanks Worn!

Haven't messed with alligators since 1965. Once was enough. We were both lucky we were not hurt as we were not sober - especially my buddy Chris - he could barely walk. Sadly I'm the sole surviving Gator Napper as Chris fell asleep at the wheel when in his 20's. And thankfully all the court records of our conviction seem to have disappeared.

In 1970 in Naples, FL where I used to live I was sitting on a dock in inland waters with my feet dangling in the water. Nearly too late I spotted a medium sized gator - just 2 eyes and a snout above water - about 10' away from me making a beeline for my feet! Jumped up on dock not a second too late!

Later in 90's my nephew took me out for an Everglades tour in his 472" Cadillac engine-powered airboat & showed us many huge gators sunning along the waterways. We actually spent the night on a tiny island in a tiny cabin where the gators were also at home. I was amazed how he knew every inch of the Everglades when it all looked the same to me. He took us to the remains of several airplane crashes too.

Good luck on your '76. Some say it was the best 914 ever.

GN

QUOTE(worn @ Jan 9 2024, 10:17 PM) *

Good luck! You have been inspiring. I hope my ‘76 will follow soon. Now, where to strap in the alligator? My mother was an artist. She took hundreds of photos from Life magazine to make collages on my bedroom wall. One of these showed an alligator safely strapped in to the back seat. I miss her, but hope you have a gator approved ride.
Gatornapper
Bushing corrected. Made no difference in 4/5.

When I shifted gears manually with my hand on the shift lever in the tranny box, I did feel resistance in 4 & 5 like the fork sliding on its rod rather than moving the rod. So I think it is a loose bolt on the 4/5 fork.

GN

IPB Image
Gatornapper
DROPPING TRANNY WITHOUT DROPPING ENGINE

As I said before, I was ecstatic when Mike Lesniak told me 9 out of 10 times he does not drop the engine to drop the tranny. I am blessed to also have a nice lift to make the work easy.

Knowing it could be done, I then set about to plan a safe way to support the rear of the engine, then support the tranny in a way that it could be unbolted and simply slid backwards a few inches to get it off the engine studs and the rear brackets.

I mentally devised a number of ways to support the front of the engine safely, and then was hit to try something imaginative.

I wondered if one of my 20' tow straps would go over the front edge of the trunk and be long enough to support a 2x4 beneath the engine? Instead of supporting the engine from below, I would try to support it from above.

First I was going to use a piece of 1 1/2" rigid conduit, then a piece of steel. But the weight on the front of engine is less than half the 276 lbs. of the engine weight as most is on the front support. I realized that a simple 2/4 would be strong enough.

I was shocked when I tried it. It truly looked like the strap had been specifically designed for this purpose! I padded the top of the trunk generously to make sure I didn't damage my new paint. That would be a disaster!

I tested the setup and it seemed perfect. Strongly believing in redundancy, I hung a heavy chain between the swingarms to catch the engine if my 2x4 rigging failed.

Here is what it all looked like - Note how the length of the strap was perfect for the job:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

In the last pic, you'll see the blocking that I had on top of a box on top of my Harbor Freight motorcycle lift table.

I lowered the car to the correct height to where if I jacked up the lift table, it would support the tranny perfectly.

We then jacked up the table & blocks putting the tranny weight on them, then unbolted the tranny. With its weight on the blocks, and the lift table having wheels, we simply rolled the table backwards to pull the tranny away from the engine.

When all was clear, we raised the car out of the way, then lowered the tranny to where it was the perfect height to lift off the blocks and set on the floor vertically to begin disassembly.

Hope some others can use this approach in the future.

GN

Gatornapper
Tranny out last night, pulled apart this AM. Bolt on 4/5 fork is tight.

Bummer. Now no idea what the problem is and why 4 & 5 disappeared! All looks pristine in tranny gears.

IPB Image

IPB Image

In 4th gear:

IPB Image

In 5th gear:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Perhaps fork is a tiny bit off center between 4th & 5th???

IPB Image

Any advice from the Brain Trust is appreciated.

Again, strange thing is all gears shifted perfectly for 1/2 hour of non-stop shifting on twisty back roads. Then suddenly with no noise 4th & 5th gears disappeared. Like being in neutral. Shift position and feel up front felt normal.

GN

Gatornapper
90% sure I've found the problem.

Angle off a bit between the 4/5 shift fork and the 91430316100 Contact arm - just enough to place the arm end that is moved by the Shift Finger beyond its reach.

Mlindner is loaning me the Jig that holds the gears and slider rods in place for rebuild so I can accurately re-position the Contact arm - thank you Mark.

Good news is I can re-assemble the tranny and test it for correct shifting before putting it back in the car. Waiting for new gaskets from AA.

Very encouraging. I'm a happy 914'er even tho she's still on my lift.

GN

PS: I will make a template of the Jig before I send it back to Mark, then make my own Jig - probably out of 3/4" solid plastic that I have. Something every 914 mechanic must have. IMHO.
Gatornapper
HALLELUJAH! TODAY WAS THE DAY!

"RUBY 914", aka "Ruby" got back on the road today for many problem-free miles in the twisties working the gears and varying the RPM to break in the engine, and she is running like a new engine and shifting like a new tranny!

Rick B. joined me in the drive today and enjoyed it as much as I did! I drove out, he drove back. Soon our red & yellow 914's will be hitting the road together!

IPB Image

IPB Image

Now it's on to finishing a lot of details like putting the brown interior in complete and getting new brown carpet.

IPB Image

Pics will come when the interior is finished, but no hurry on that - I'm taking my time.

New paint in much-preferred & desirable Malaga Red - new engine - new carbs - new 123ignition Dizzy - new tranny - new bronze shift-linkage - new interior.........

'Bout as happy as a 914 owner can be......

GN
dstudeba
Looks great! Congrats on getting back on the road.
Root_Werks
Wonderful news! Good sleuthing on your part with the transmission. When something stops working, always start with the last thing touched, rebuilt, swapped out etc.

driving.gif
Gatornapper

My Ruby 914 (antique plates coming soon) could not be running or shifting better!

And I love the Malaga Red more every day. The old Scarlet Red bugged me every time I drove the car.........

This is a 7 year old dream come true!

First broke engine in with an easy 100 miles, no loads, 2,000 to 3,000 rpm at most.

Changed oil and filter.

Now have been pushing her hard on hills to seat the rings but no more than 3,500 rpm for a hundred miles, then no more than 4,000. Almost 350 miles on engine since rebuild. Could not be running smoother.

I'm amazed at the torque I have between 3,000 and 4,000 rpm. She is pulling strong. Not exceeding 4,000 rpm until about 1,000 miles.

Need to dial down idle a bit still - she's about 1,400 now most of the time but after an hour of running drops to about 1,100.

Biral cylinders running nice and cool. But then, it is cool outside. I'm looking forward to see how they do in the heat.

Will do another oil & filter change after 600 total miles (100 easy break-in, then 500 with some loads), and also adjust the valves. They seem good for now, but sure they will need it at 600.

Will keep you all posted along the way,

GN

Gatornapper
CARS & COFFEE - Richmond, VA Sat. 2/3/24

Rick B's sweet '72 and my Ruby - no longer embarassed parking next to him!

We've been in many shows together but for the first time fans gathered at our 914s together like never before and hardly gave us time to view other cars at the show....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ac110/rahanes/IMG_2141.JPG

IPB Image

IPB Image

Chris Campeau's incredible GT4 was a highlight:

IPB Image

IPB Image

LOVED HIS MIRROR! WHAT A RIOT!

IPB Image

GN
Gatornapper
SHOW & TELL TIME!

Perfect day for glamour shots at my fav nearby picture venue. Only lacking puffy white clouds of summer, but we'll get those in time.

Did I say how much I love this Malaga Red? Running & shifting like a dream. Had no idea the 2056cc's would get me the mid-range torque and power I have. While not a "fast" car, it is surely no longer a "slow car" and underpowered.

Enjoy the view:

GN

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Gatornapper
NOTE:

Interesting feature of Malaga Red.

Only color I know that looks better out of the sun that it does in the sun.

Compare the C&C pics before sun was up to the pics overlooking the quarry.......

Am I the only one who sees it this way?

GN
Jett
Great looking car!
bkrantz
Nice!
Gatornapper
Thanks guys!

JUST CAME TODAY! Too bad plate wasn't on the 914 for the Glamour Shots above.....

IPB Image

My love affair with Ruby continues to grow........

GN

PS: Nephew & wife just had baby girl less than a year ago. Named her Ruby. I made sure to get permission and their blessing before I officially named my 914 "Ruby". With their full support, her name is now like her color - permanent. biggrin.gif
Gatornapper
Finally got the repaired brown rear panel installed. Door panels & seats installed over a month ago. The brown interior really pops with the Malaga Red, IMHO. Others seem to agree.

Also cleaned up floor panels under seats and installed rubber-backed carpet tiles under the seats for sound insulation. Sure it helped some, but big difference was from the insulating panel behind the seats.

IPB Image

Put the seats back in, now just need the new carpet.

Cannot believe how sweet the 2056 is running. Lot more torque than I expected which just puts grins on my face in every drive - which is now frequent. Ruby is now my DD - Daily Driver.

Also got the carbs dialed in for a silky smooth 950 rpm idle. Thanks to Bates McLain for his tips on Saturday. All who have been running Weber IDF-40's know how sweet these carbs are. Response under all conditions is ideal.

Just ticked 1,000 miles since rebuild so time to adjust the valves. Wonder how much they'll need and what the difference will be afterwards.

Couldn't have done it without all the help here. Thanks to all - again.

GN
Gatornapper
Wow. I thought she was running great and had a great idle before the valve adjustment - but HOT DOG! What an improvement in power, torque, responsiveness and even smoother idle!

HAD to run her over to RickB's place to get him to drive it - he too was blown away and felt it had more power than his sweet '72 which has a rebuild 2.0 with a cam that works with his Delorto carbs. Mine has original cam - good enough for me for sure. Said he was jealous.

I said, "Don't get jealous. Just bring it to my shop and let's dial yours in too." I'm pretty sure he needs a valve adjustment too.

All I want to do now is drive it!

GN
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.