Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCR 2024
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ConeDodger
WCR 2024

Who, where, when… evilgrin.gif
Jack Standz
One vote for Lake Tahoe, NV (or Sparks, NV).

Two votes for Mendocino, CA

9/12 to 9/15/24, with something special on Saturday 9/14.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jack Standz @ Oct 9 2023, 09:06 PM) *

There's more to the west coast than Tahoe. We were literally just there.
idea.gif
second wind
Does the desert appeal to anyone? Maybe Death Valley will be restored in time?? Nice flat warm low altitude horsepower to spare luxury!!! Just thinking out loud......
gg
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 10 2023, 01:56 AM) *

idea.gif

He’s local to me Andy. evilgrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 10 2023, 02:43 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 10 2023, 01:56 AM) *

idea.gif

He’s local to me Andy. evilgrin.gif

Though Mendocino sounds good!
Jack Standz
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 10 2023, 11:56 AM) *

idea.gif

Guess that cancels all 3 of my votes. LOL

Thx for the support conedodger. smile.gif
Sm914650
North Bay/Marin/Petaluma have some great roads and little towns to stop by along the coast. Im sure a lot of our local members can vouch
sb914
San Diego.
Cairo94507
I thought the WCR we had based out of Petaluma had great roads and restaurants. driving.gif
sportlicherFahrer
Astoria, OR? Lots of history, breweries, and(best of all) access to some beautiful twisties.
jhynesrockmtn
Bend OR? Is there a brief history of where this event has been the last few years?
Mikey914
It's really going to depend on who organizes it.
Willing to help whomever steps forward. We do need to see who's up to it?

Here's a thought have a meet in Seattle Wednesday, with a drive to the bay area or slightly south.

Make it a true West Coast rally.

Solicit those North to meet up as an official run. Heck, Make a south LA or San Diego?run North with different T shirts and then a main event T shirt.

sportlicherFahrer
QUOTE(jhynesrockmtn @ Oct 10 2023, 07:04 AM) *

Bend OR? Is there a brief history of where this event has been the last few years?

I just went through most of the old event threads. Tahoe has been done the most, Medford a couple times, northern OR a couple times, scattered in CA a bit, and once or twice in WA.

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 10 2023, 07:08 AM) *

It's really going to depend on who organizes it.
Willing to help whomever steps forward. We do need to see who's up to it?

Here's a thought have a meet in Seattle Wednesday, with a drive to the bay area or slightly south.

Make it a true West Coast rally.

Solicit those North to meet up as an official run. Heck, Make a south LA or San Diego?run North with different T shirts and then a main event T shirt.

I'd steer clear of Seattle proper. It's an absolute mess trying to get around the city, figuratively and literally.

Being over a hundred miles from Astoria would be challenging for me to do the majority of the planning, but could lend a hand. Might be able to drag another buddy in to helping as well that has experience planning events. Scoped out a couple hotels that look like decent candidates, and have thoughts for a couple 2ish hour tour options on a mix of coastal and inland roads. Tons of options for food and recreation outside of the meet-up, too.
Steve
QUOTE(second wind @ Oct 9 2023, 10:35 PM) *

Does the desert appeal to anyone? Maybe Death Valley will be restored in time?? Nice flat warm low altitude horsepower to spare luxury!!! Just thinking out loud......
gg

I go to Death Valley every year. Big fan!! It would have to be early spring or fall or it’s too hot. We did not go this fall due to the hurricane. It’s supposed to open next week but the roads are still trashed.
tygaboy
It's a big region. Too far south, we tend to lose the crew from the north - and vice versa.
And Mikey is on point: It's easy to vote for a location but a ton more work to put on a good show.
2020 was in Petaluma and I'm sure we could put on a great event here again, but I'm biased.

So put me down to organize 2024 if Petaluma gets the nod.

Some things we can leverage:
- We have access to Live Oak Farm each morning to stage - complete with a new, really cool "sliding walls" building that could be our dinner location or afternoon hang out/BYOB spot. WAY better than the hotel parking lot.
- The Red Barn can be available for a Friday BBQ and/or a post drive/man cave hang out location, too.
- There are so many drive routes, we can likely see entirely new roads/locations
- Running or not, you'll have a chance to see the 914 Ferrari IRL! aktion035.gif
76-914
San Diego and especially LA are traffic "cluster sheeplove.gif". Our mountain areas are good but we just did a Rt66 in those areas. The WCR we did in 2016 by the Hurst Castle was secluded and had some nice roads. Very temperate climate as well. Central CA is good too as long as we avoid the major cities.
Steve
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 10 2023, 07:47 AM) *

It's a big region. Too far south, we tend to lose the crew from the north - and vice versa.
And Mikey is on point: It's easy to vote for a location but a ton more work to put on a good show.
2020 was in Petaluma and I'm sure we could put on a great event here again, but I'm biased.

So put me down to organize 2024 if Petaluma gets the nod.

Some things we can leverage:
- We have access to Live Oak Farm each morning to stage - complete with a new, really cool "sliding walls" building that could be our dinner location or afternoon hang out/BYOB spot. WAY better than the hotel parking lot.
- The Red Barn can be available for a Friday BBQ and/or a post drive/man cave hang out location, too.
- There are so many drive routes, we can likely see entirely new roads/locations
- Running or not, you'll have a chance to see the 914 Ferrari IRL! aktion035.gif

smilie_pokal.gif
Petaluma it is!! Hopefully no Covid this time, so we can eat in doors! Cold steak last time in the parking lot was hilarious!!
ClayPerrine
WCR is on my bucket list, but I keep waiting to be held somewhere in the south. I can't do 3 days from here to Petaluma, and three days back, plus the event itself.

And Seattle is a definite "no way in hell" drive.

That's just one hell of a long trip, even if I trailer the car. Plus the price of gas in California is painful!

mikey63
Petaluma has my vote!
Tons of great roads!!!
sb914
We just had it in Petaluma. confused24.gif
How about somewhere different?
tygaboy
QUOTE(sb914 @ Oct 10 2023, 10:05 AM) *

We just had it in Petaluma. confused24.gif
How about somewhere different?

@sb914 Eddy - True, we did. But if you'll give me a week or so, I'm chasing down some "experience" sorts of things that, if we can get approval/access, would make this an epic event.
No promises but if we can pull it off, it'll be a WCR for the ages. You'll know as soon as I do...
914werke
Seems to me the PNW is due for a return, & if Jim is stepping up.... aktion035.gif cheer.gif piratenanner.gif
Mikey914
I like all the options so far. The real problem has always been its a huge area.

I do like the idea of a Northern contingent and Southern.
If they were scheduled on following weekends as A and B of the same event that woud be cool.
It could be set up as one stages as a rally to drive to the other.
I would be willing to make acommeritive rally badge available only to those that did both. No charge for it, but you can't get one without doing both. Just for the folks that earn the rally badge, and not for sale.

Maybe we could even get some Canadian contingent
@sppedmetalarmy

Leavenworth is pretty nice...........
sportlicherFahrer
QUOTE(914werke @ Oct 10 2023, 11:20 AM) *

Seems to me the PNW is due for a return, & if Jim is stepping up.... aktion035.gif cheer.gif piratenanner.gif

Best I could do is heavily assist. Drove some great roads down there over the summer. Astoria is just far enough out of reach to easily connect with the possible business owners and scout things out efficiently. Would be a great spot, though. Concourse at Fort Stevens? idea.gif That damned 9-5 really gets in the way sometimes.

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 10 2023, 01:31 PM) *

I like all the options so far. The real problem has always been its a huge area.

I do like the idea of a Northern contingent and Southern.
If they were scheduled on following weekends as A and B of the same event that woud be cool.
It could be set up as one stages as a rally to drive to the other.
I would be willing to make acommeritive rally badge available only to those that did both. No charge for it, but you can't get one without doing both. Just for the folks that earn the rally badge, and not for sale.

Maybe we could even get some Canadian contingent
@sppedmetalarmy

Leavenworth is pretty nice...........

Cool idea with the badges, Mark! might help alleviate some of the concerns others have had about splitting things north to south and ending up with things just drifting apart.

Leavenworth would be absolutely amazing, but in the height of summer 4+ nights is easily north of $700 just for lodging. Might scare a few folks off...
MoveQik

That is usually the dates +/- of Red Rocks Classic FWIW.
Mikey914
Still Yakama, oe even Wenatchee are nice and in driving range.
Astoria is nice. We did a 914Rubber invitation event that too some paved forest backroads tgat was fun. Cordoned off a section with a hill and did a hill climb event.
Mikey914
As far as timeframe we just need to set up and commit. We van try to avoid most events we know about, but there will always be conflicts. The sooner we organize and promote, the better.
MoveQik
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 10 2023, 03:13 PM) *

As far as timeframe we just need to set up and commit. We van try to avoid most events we know about, but there will always be conflicts. The sooner we organize and promote, the better.

If you do it further north, both events could happen at the same time since you would be pulling two different groups. Go with the September dates and then even more people could celebrate 9/14 at an event biggrin.gif
brant
You loose some attendance when you schedule on the same date
This was a hot issue years ago in a previous conflict of dates
Mikey914
Problem has always been many groups don’t start till next year. It takes us awhile to get our $hit together, so better for us to start early.

We still have to firm up who’s officially organizing
Then where it’s taking place as a function of who steps up. Sorry we alll may want a specific place, and yes it’s best to cover the masses, but the reality is, you have to be near or have someone near to execute the event properly.

So let’s start with who’s up to organize the event/s?

You can look at me as a backup supporter for anything in my general area.
Who’s putting their hat in the ring officially…………?

jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 10 2023, 03:11 PM) *

Still Yakama, oe even Wenatchee are nice and in driving range.
Astoria is nice. We did a 914Rubber invitation event that too some paved forest backroads tgat was fun. Cordoned off a section with a hill and did a hill climb event.

@greenie
Wenatchee is in your neighborhood
flat4guy
I am biased but vote for nor cal coast
ConeDodger
QUOTE(flat4guy @ Oct 10 2023, 11:20 PM) *

I am biased but vote for nor cal coast

I really love Mendocino! wub.gif
Mikey914
So far the only one to step up has been @tygaboy
"So put me down to organize 2024 if Petaluma gets the nod. "

I'm good with that, but maybe we do a North contingent in Forest Grove before and rally down? I would be willing to organize that.

anyone else that would rather step up to coordinate something else? I would not get my feelings hurt.
tygaboy
Before we get too excited about Petaluma, let me verify some of the cool things I’m trying to coordinate. If we can do these things, I would say you guys will love a Petaluma based WCR. If not, I’m OK doing it somewhere else.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 11 2023, 11:29 AM) *

So far the only one to step up has been @tygaboy
"So put me down to organize 2024 if Petaluma gets the nod. "

I'm good with that, but maybe we do a North contingent in Forest Grove before and rally down? I would be willing to organize that.

anyone else that would rather step up to coordinate something else? I would not get my feelings hurt.

Forest Grove would be very cool !
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_Grove,_Oregon

Mikey914
Here's a place to stay with lots of parking and places to drink
https://youtu.be/qaY5gU0K4YY?si=JILfLBg3HAVH2vdN
We've hosted a few 914Rubber events here.
jim_hoyland
Forest Grove would be fantastic; plus there’s wineries all over the area.
sportlicherFahrer
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 11 2023, 10:29 PM) *

Grand Lodge would be an awesome place to stay! Would probably find myself there next summer one way or another. Doing it with a bunch of 914's would be icing on the cake.

It's also semi-close to some of the roads I was thinking of. Could do a run to Ft. Stevens as a drive instead. idea.gif
sb914
QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ Oct 12 2023, 05:55 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 11 2023, 10:29 PM) *

Grand Lodge would be an awesome place to stay! Would probably find myself there next summer one way or another. Doing it with a bunch of 914's would be icing on the cake.

It's also semi-close to some of the roads I was thinking of. Could do a run to Ft. Stevens as a drive instead. idea.gif

Sounds great!
siverson
QUOTE(sb914 @ Oct 10 2023, 05:46 AM) *

San Diego.

If San Diego is in the running I could host a BBQ at my place and could probably carefully arrange parking for 40-50 914s or so... Could be after a run through east county and the mountains.

-Steve
worn
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 10 2023, 08:53 AM) *

WCR is on my bucket list, but I keep waiting to be held somewhere in the south. I can't do 3 days from here to Petaluma, and three days back, plus the event itself.

And Seattle is a definite "no way in hell" drive.

That's just one hell of a long trip, even if I trailer the car. Plus the price of gas in California is painful!

Then Forks WA isn’t in the cards? Great region but north coast CA or Petaluma are great ideas. I am too far away to organize but am bummed out by not getting to an event this year.
second wind
QUOTE(siverson @ Oct 13 2023, 04:03 PM) *

San Diego.

If San Diego is in the running I could host a BBQ at my place and could probably carefully arrange parking for 40-50 914s or so... Could be after a run through east county and the mountains.

-Steve

San Diego rings a loud bell for me vs. Oregon....no offense of course. East of the ocean are many driving options.....plus if we lose our minds we can dip into Mexico and really get our blood pressure going.....some ways better than others....maybe not a great idea to dip into Mexico....
gg
sixnotfour
QUOTE(siverson @ Oct 13 2023, 05:03 PM) *

San Diego.

-Steve

Heck Yes..
rhodyguy
Forks? No. There’s only so many ways to get there. As remote as it gets in western WA.
Mikey914
I'd still be up for the northern event before with a rally down, and badges, I git your badges for the Trans Western Rally (both events).
worn
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 14 2023, 04:10 PM) *

Forks? As remote as it gets in western WA.

And your point would be? Still, I understand that isn't for everyone.
worn
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 14 2023, 10:08 PM) *

I'd still be up for the northern event before with a rally down, and badges, I git your badges for the Trans Western Rally (both events).

Humphrey Bogart is bound to show up with the badges. Do I understand this correctly? Event: 900 miles north or south: Event: 900 miles back? I am not complaining. That is pretty much my normal drive to these things. I hope to have a 914 in North Bend by then, so of course north has some appeal for me. I hear that the Port Orford region has great drives.
Chris914n6
Starting to sound like some folks want to do a split North & South Thursday gathering, then Fri an adventure drive to a central location. Sat the usual drives together and dinner awards. Sun we head home...

Petaluma is a 12 hour drive for me (Vegas) so I'd be open to that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.