Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Texas Outlaw 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeff_72
Last week (10/12) was Week 1 in the transformation of my rolling chassis purchased from Mr Mark Heard. Thank you Mark for the outstanding chassis and the plethora of parts.

This will be a full custom outlaw. They are pulling/modifying the fenders (no GT flares) to accomodate larger wheels (8's and 9's), installing elephant racing racing suspension compenents in the rear and raising the shock towers in the front to provide additional wheel travel for the larger wheels.

I dont have all the details yet, as this is a work in progress. All work is being documented on their Facebook page. Expected finish is April 2024.

This is the first official 914 I have owned (I used to drive my buddies all the time) and I cant wait to get this done! On my 21st birthday, my wife promised me my dream porsche when I turned 50. I will be 51 when its done. piratenanner.gif driving.gif

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=105370...511.-2207520000
76-914
Good luck with the transformation and completion date. beerchug.gif
Shivers
For us that do not Facebook how will it be powered? We have a dude here putting a Ferrari engine into a 914 so I think we can take it. smile.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Shivers @ Oct 17 2023, 01:09 PM) *

For us that do not Facebook how will it be powered? We have a dude here putting a Ferrari engine into a 914 so I think we can take it. smile.gif

agree.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Oct 17 2023, 03:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Shivers @ Oct 17 2023, 01:09 PM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif
don't do face plant
Montreal914
Nice shop roller wheel! smile.gif

Unless this is the wheel for the car! drooley.gif
Cairo94507
Yes, please keep those of us who do not use Facebook updated here.

I am thinking you are leaning toward a set of flares like Chris at Tangerine Racing sells. I must admit I have longed for those flares for over a decade. Now, a good friend of mine just bought/ordered a set from Chris and it took all my willpower not to say "make it 2 sets". I think they are a beautiful flare that nicely compliments our cars lines. beerchug.gif
campbellcj
Very cool! Also would love to track progress/pics here as I don't do FB either.
Jeff_72
QUOTE(Shivers @ Oct 17 2023, 03:09 PM) *

Motor will be a Porsche. We originally discussed a Type 4 2.7L Dual plug motor that came out of one of the shop sponsored race cars, but that might not happen. Start of the restoration was delayed a few months, so that motor is gone now.
Jeff_72
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Oct 17 2023, 05:13 PM) *

Nice shop roller wheel! smile.gif

Unless this is the wheel for the car! drooley.gif

These are the shop rollers for sizing the space needed for the flares. Final wheels will be something close to a modern RS wheel.
Jeff_72
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 18 2023, 08:05 AM) *

Yes, please keep those of us who do not use Facebook updated here.

I am thinking you are leaning toward a set of flares like Chris at Tangerine Racing sells. I must admit I have longed for those flares for over a decade. Now, a good friend of mine just bought/ordered a set from Chris and it took all my willpower not to say "make it 2 sets". I think they are a beautiful flare that nicely compliments our cars lines. beerchug.gif

This is exactly correct, with some customization. first.gif
Jeff_72
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Oct 18 2023, 08:19 AM) *

Very cool! Also would love to track progress/pics here as I don't do FB either.

I dont have Facebook either haha. I will post all my visit updates and their posts here.
burton73
@ Jeff_72

I would like to point out a way to get this look of HaroldD's car
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=203336

You can put 8 x 16 factory 951 wheels on rear with the extra 1 inch going to the inside to help with the clearence and the front with either 6 or 7 911 wheels or the 951 7inch wheels. You can finish them in RSR finish they are IMHO super nice and clean.

Tires for the 16 are not $500 anymore, there are more, and prices are lower now.

Best Bob B

Click to view attachment
Jeff_72
QUOTE(burton73 @ Oct 18 2023, 12:54 PM) *

@ Jeff_72

You can put 8 x 16 factory 951 wheels on rear with the extra 1 inch going to the inside to help with the clearence and the front with either 6 or 7 911 wheels or the 951 7inch wheels. You can finish them in RSR finish they are IMHO super nice and clean.

Tires for the 16 are not $500 anymore, there are more, and prices are lower now.

Best Bob B

Click to view attachment

I think we are also doing a bit of both so that the flares dont have to be too exagerated. This is where I found the look/body shape I wanted. Im sure this is someones car here.
Jeff_72
I think we just decided on a Wheel/Tire combo for the car. As soon as I get the exact specs, Ill post. One of the only things I asked for was to have a wheel size that was easy to find modern tires for.
914Sixer
Yes, I was glad that the almost perfect body was ready to go for this project. I had to give up up since I need to finish the 75 I have.
Freezin 914
QUOTE(burton73 @ Oct 18 2023, 12:54 PM) *

@ Jeff_72

Best Bob B

Click to view attachment

HaraldD’s car is for sure on my list of my favorite 914’s of all time. Looks killer! I love it more every time I see it!
Jeff_72
December Update!

Suspension was ordered and installed to get final fitting for ride height and fender width. Wheels get mounted today and final body work should be completed b the end of January.
NARP74
Which bump steer kit is that?
tygaboy
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Jan 9 2024, 09:25 AM) *

Given the Von's shocks, I'm betting it's Elephant Racing... ?
Jeff_72
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jan 9 2024, 11:46 AM) *

QUOTE(NARP74 @ Jan 9 2024, 09:25 AM) *

Given the Von's shocks, I'm betting it's Elephant Racing... ?

That is correct. Elephant racing.
NARP74
Oh, that's the racing kit. That's why I did not recognize it.
Jeff_72
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Jan 9 2024, 12:47 PM) *

also correct. I want to AutoX and there are a couple of tracks around that I want to take it on. So upgraded the suspension.
NARP74
QUOTE(Jeff_72 @ Jan 9 2024, 11:53 AM) *

QUOTE(NARP74 @ Jan 9 2024, 12:47 PM) *

also correct. I want to AutoX and there are a couple of tracks around that I want to take it on. So upgraded the suspension.

Should be a gripper!
Shivers
@Jeff_72
How much did you raise the spindles?
Jeff_72
QUOTE(Shivers @ Jan 9 2024, 05:11 PM) *

@Jeff_72
How much did you raise the spindles?

I'm not a builder or mechanic in any sense. I can change oil, light bulbs and brake pads, so this is said from a place of little understanding. Reading through some of your builds with skill some of you have makes me jealous. beerchug.gif

Werks11 originally said they were being raised 1 inch, but ride height is what they are working on right now, with my wheels and suspension on it. Somewhere in there, they will measure and adjust for travel of the wheel, which is (I'm assuming) where they determine how far to raise the spindles.
Jeff_72
No updates in the last few months. Tried to get the Momo Heritage wheels, and they said the wait would be over a year to get them. So those are out.

Spent a lot of time on the google machine trying to find a staggered 17x8 and 17x9 with 5x130 lug pattern and the correct offset.

Ended up ordering custom wheels from American Racing VF519.

This is holding up all (visual) progress as they cannot finish pulling the fenders until the wheels are on it.

Engine is in process, and hoping to have some pics with better updates soon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.