Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 outlaw Type R - Continous Improvement Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fasthonda
After a long break I have the desire again to continue improving the Type R, Nothing major, just details. Thought I would create post to share. Will post as I go. Mike

1. Painted the Fuchs a dark gray. They were silver. These are 15x7 w/ 205/50 all around. Been thinking about putting 6's in the front as I prefer the staggard look.

Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
Nice.

Unless you changed the weight balance, you should stay square as the factory tuned it. Narrower fronts will understeer more.
DRPHIL914
looks good! i like the dark grey better, hows the car running??
Freezin 914
First time seeing your car, looks great!
Cairo94507
That is a great looking 914. beerchug.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 24 2023, 06:36 PM) *

Nice.

Unless you changed the weight balance, you should stay square as the factory tuned it. Narrower fronts will understeer more.

But then again, GT cars are usually staggered. 7 front, 8 rear.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 25 2023, 08:57 AM) *

Nice.

i am running the 205/55-16 6's and 7's which came from a 1980 SC 911, i have not noticed an understeer issue , i have done autocross and other spirited driving, but i do have 1/2" spacers on the front so i dont rub on full turn inside fender, so maybe that compensates enough to reduced the potential under steer?

Phil
TP914
Looks good !
Chris914n6
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 25 2023, 05:57 AM) *

Nice.

heavier motor. traction issues cuz race car. apples to oranges.
Literati914
Out of curiosity what's the weight difference between a VW type4 and a Honda F20C?
mepstein
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 25 2023, 01:58 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 25 2023, 05:57 AM) *

Nice.

heavier motor. traction issues cuz race car. apples to oranges.

No I mean the typical flared 914. I drove Oscar’s flared Raby four cylinder car for WCR. 7&8’s. The car drove great for me. I’ve driven a bunch of flared 914-6’s and all but one were staggered. A six engine adds about the same weight as a male passenger so added weight is pretty neutral. I know Dr Phil drove his narrow body copper metallic car wit staggered 6&7’s. Auto x’d it as well. I just don’t see warning off a staggered set of tires if that’s what you want. It just doesn’t seem to make much of a difference in real life.

Funny, I didn’t even see Phil’s post till later.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 25 2023, 06:51 AM) *

Nice.

i am running the 205/55-16 6's and 7's which came from a 1980 SC 911, i have not noticed an understeer issue , i have done autocross and other spirited driving, but i do have 1/2" spacers on the front so i dont rub on full turn inside fender, so maybe that compensates enough to reduced the potential under steer?

Phil

Your tires are the same size poke.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MDq23scaWw
fasthonda
Thanks to everyone for their comments and kind words. I'm al little surprised about the staggard vs square discussion. I would say the 205 on a 7 will perform better than on a 6, so the square setup would have an advantage. But to be honest I never intend to compete with this car or track it.

I have yet to drive it at the limit to evaluate the baseline suspension setup. I have a Carrera front end with a stock 15mm bar. In the rear I'm running 200 lb/in linear rate springs. Dampers are Bilstein sports F/R. My plan is to adjust the rear spring rate to achieve slight understeer.

If I go staggard for style, I was thinking of putting 6 inch cookie cutters up front to give it a unique look. They would be painted the same color.

I redid the badging on the rear and steering wheel and will post those this weekend. Also ordered some Lexan for the GT style engine access door.

Because the car has been sitting a while, I had a brake caliper freeze up and the fuel line connections were weeping. Those have been solved. Probably get the car out for a drive in a few weeks and post some long awaited video.

I have never weighed the car, but I would guess the F20C weighs similar to a flat 6. 

Mike
Literati914
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 24 2023, 05:36 PM) *

..Unless you changed the weight balance..

QUOTE(fasthonda @ Oct 25 2023, 07:08 PM) *

..but I would guess the F20C weighs similar to a flat 6. 
Mike

Yeah I was thinking the honda engine would have constituted a weight change from stock, and therefore the point that Chris was making, while certainly valid might not necessarily apply here.

I know you've mention cookies, but if you're interested I've got a set of really nice repro Fuchs [deep 6, 15x6 ET36 with "hearts" no less].. and have considered doing a wider wheel in the back of my ride since I'll be running a H6 at some point. If you're interested in working out a 2 for 2 trade of some kind, lmk .. I could send pics if interested. You car looks great BTW beerchug.gif

Chris914n6
A quick search puts the F20c fully loaded at 326 lbs, so pretty close to the T4 loaded. My vq30de is 370 lbs full swap (read everything I changed). I actually dropped my rear springs from 180 to 140 progressives.
A -6FI loaded was over 450 lbs IIRC. Boxer engines have alot of extra metal.
fasthonda
Went Gt Style on the back with a 356 hubcap badge. Did the same on the steering wheel, just a different style. Very pleased on how the look. I plan on adding the VW Porsche badge to the rear when I can find a reasonably priced one.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Made up a Lexan cover for the firewall engine access. I have a steel one, but I think the Lexan is way cooler. With a heat gun I was able to radius the sides for a better fit.

Click to view attachment
eric9144
The lexan window is pretty dang cool chowtime.gif
Shivers
QUOTE(fasthonda @ Nov 5 2023, 07:10 AM) *

Went Gt Style on the back with a 356 hubcap badge. Did the same on the steering wheel, just a different style. Very pleased on how the look. I plan on adding the VW Porsche badge to the rear when I can find a reasonably priced one.

Made up a Lexan cover for the firewall engine access. I have a steel one, but I think the Lexan is way cooler. With a heat gun I was able to radius the sides for a better fit.

It does look really cool. I do not know how fire proof lexan is, but I have to say that is your firewall. Sorry, I don’t mean to be a dick.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(fasthonda @ Nov 5 2023, 09:10 AM) *

@fasthonda I like it!!! BTW i like the new Fuchs color too and i have a suggestion, i think the sail panels would look really cool that color !

Phil
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 25 2023, 04:47 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 25 2023, 06:51 AM) *

Nice.

Phil

Your tires are the same size poke.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MDq23scaWw

@Chris914n6

true, but, tread contact on ground is wider by 3/4" when stretched across a 7" rim VS 6" rim , i know its not much but it is a difference. I did recently have 7" on the front fora few days while my 6" were getting new tires and i didnt get to drive spiritedly or test it out to see how theat felt and partly due to those tires being 8 years old. Got new tires due to heavy wear from excess front camber- forgot to take te extra camber out of the alignment last year after aX and so i wore them a bit faster thus some vibration at 75mph, anyway just an FYI, - i thing the OP's car looks like it would be hoot to drive!
fasthonda
Redoing the exhaust for a more factory look and to get it nice and quiet.

Using a 7 inch round dual chamber truck muffler. Pleased with how its turning out. Made a template for the tube and had a muffler shop bend it. Wish I had a tubing bender! The muffler is supported by a bracket off the tranny. I may add a hanger by the tail pipe, but I don't think it will be necessary. Everything is tacked up and needs to be removed to finish welding before an official test drive. Redoing some wiring as well so haven't had a chance to fire it up yet.

Will be putting the car back on the market this summer if anyone is interested.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
nice clean install looks great! will be interested to hear how it sounds. Or next time i get up that way ill have to come by and hear it in person.

Post a video for sound !
Cairo94507
I know you will turn that muffler strap so it is not hanging low and it looks great. Looking forward to hearing how it sounds. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.