Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone see this cooling shroud for /4 motors?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
As seen on The Samba

Porsche Style Genuine VW Cooling Shroud! - 565.00  
This is a kit comprised of all original VW parts. These parts are from a front wheel drive Brasillian VW car that featured a type 1 engine. How cool is that? These are not parts that have been modified to look like this. These are all genuine VW parts, so you know the parts fit well! This is not a knock off Porsche kit that was adapted to work on VW motor, it's what the German VW engineers designed for it!

The kit comes complete with all of the engine tins, the fan, the oil filler tube, the alternator stand/venturi ring, correct drive ratio pulley's and the appropriate legnth fan belt, as well as, the alternator. (The alternators look similar to an AL82, but they mount backwards, and the armature doesn't protrude through the end of the unit. I'm told their similar to a type 3 alternator.) All of the parts in the kits are used with the exception of the fan belts. The alternators are tested good used units. I make no guarrantees on the alternators as they are an electrical part. (With that being said, I've never had one report to be an out of the box failure.)

The parts in all my kits are used and are all in good condition. I refuse to sell you anything that I would not use on my own car. The Shroud in the picture has been powder coated and chromed. *My Brasilian supplier reserves the right to substitute new parts at times in order to complete some kits. (at no additional cost to you.)

Mueller
picture 2
Mueller
last one....
bd1308
but that's a type 1

isnt it?
Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Aug 18 2005, 07:07 PM)
but that's a type 1

isnt it?

and????

have you not seen the DTM's for Type IV's??

a little cutting here and there smash.gif welder.gif
Mark Henry
Is that off of the brazil only VW powered front engine car? Gurgel or something....

If it is Jake did tests and found it works good...as long as it's in a front mounted engine car wink.gif
bd1308
that car loooks sharp....

i wished they were in the US though....i like them alot...
Mueller
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Aug 18 2005, 07:12 PM)
Is that off of the brazil only VW powered front engine car? Gurgel or something....

If it is Jake did tests and found it works good...as long as it's in a front mounted engine car wink.gif

how would he have tested it to compare it being mounted in the front, middle or rear???

I'd still rather have one of Jakes DTM's, 1st time I saw this one today....it looks nice wub.gif
qa1142
If you buy a copy of "Hot VW" magazine (or just read it at grocery biggrin.gif )

Company makes those kits designed for Type IV motors.

Hey Jake... are they worth a damn?

someone also makes a horizontal electric fan kit. claim you gain 10HP, look in Excelence mag

Mark Henry
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 18 2005, 10:24 PM)

I'd still rather have one of Jakes DTM's, 1st time I saw this one today....it looks nice wub.gif

I have 3 in stock wink.gif

don't know...maybe he was joking about that part rolleyes.gif
Brett W
The Horizontal Electric fan ain't that great. From what I hear the back cylinders run hottter than the fronts. This was also coming from an idiot that couldn't tune his car so take that info with a grain of salt.

Now that being said. I think Jake and the Engineers at VW are the only ones who really studied the cooling system of an aircooled engine. There is a reason why the DTM works and others don't. Looks don't always mean works.
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE (Brett W @ Aug 18 2005, 10:18 PM)
...Now that being said. I think Jake and the Engineers at VW are the only ones who really studied the cooling system of an aircooled engine. There is a reason why the DTM works and others don't. Looks don't always mean works.

The DTM was originally engineered by a fellow Rose City Volkster, Joe Locicero (deceased).
Tom Perso
I had a DTM. Kept my 2270 nice and cool, running 80-90mph on the highway in my Bug. Amazing work. And, I talked to Joe on the phone a many times - what an amazing person. He was a true artist, engineer, and one HELL of a nice guy. He'll truely be missed...

My dedication to Joe L... beerchug.gif

user posted image

Check out the personalized plate too... wink.gif

user posted image

Tom
maf914
The kit in Mike's post is kind of strange. It uses an axial flow fan with a shroud shaped for a centrifugal fan. It just looks like there would be a lot of inefficiency as the air goes from axial flow to low velocity higher pressure in the scroll case. It doesn't look right to me, but what the hell? idea.gif
Jake Raby
Okay that fan came from a VW GOL. A front engined, aircooled 1300cc engine that primarily ran off of Alcohol.

It is an axial fan thats made of Nylon on the later versions- IT SUCKS!!!

When I did my Type I DTM comparisons this frigging shroud was THE WORST thing known to man.. I was hoping it would have been better because it does look cool and would have opned up some doors but it is HORRIBLE! Below is a test that could only last 7.5 minutes because the engine was risking serious heat damage. When I saw these results I knew this bastrd was worthless to test any further- I changed drive ratios and it got worse! After one day of goofing around i gave up

Testing/Atmospheric Conditions
Inlet Air Temp (°F): 123
Humidity (%): 40
Alt Press (ft abv sea lvl): 1600
Testing Amb Temp (°F) 90
Run Constant Speed (rpm): 3500
Constant Load (ft-lbs): 11

Monitored Temperature (°F) 0 2.5 5 7.5
#1 Cyl Head Temp: 0 285 325 325
#2 Cyl Head Temp: 0 350 375 385
#3 Cyl Head Temp: 0 405 470 495
#4 Cyl Head Temp: 0 400 460 480
Oil Temp: 0 190 265 290

Here is another test

Monitored Temperature (°F) 0 2.5 5 7.5 10 12.5
#1 Cyl Head Temp: 0 285 325 325 325 325
#2 Cyl Head Temp: 0 350 375 385 383 380
#3 Cyl Head Temp: 0 410 475 500 510 505
#4 Cyl Head Temp: 0 400 460 480 495 495
Oil Temp: 0 190 265 300 305 310

Like I said- IT HORRIBLE! I can only think that the front mounted engine that was alcohol fed really made a big difference in the stock application.

Nothing was worse than this in my testing.

Nothing parallels a DTM as you can see below... This is a 4800 RPM test @ 12.5 dyno pound load- equal to over 100 MPH +/- . remember this was in a 150+F ambient setting. It was so hot it melted my timing light laying on the floor of the dyno cell!

Testing/Atmospheric Conditions
Inlet Air Temp (°F): 125
Humidity (%): 20
Alt Press (ft abv sea lvl): 1600
Testing Amb Temp (°F) 155
Run Constant Speed (rpm): 4800
Constant Load (ft-lbs): 12.5

Monitored Temperature (°F) 0 5 10 15 20 Time in Min
#1 Cyl Head Temp: 300 360 365 365
#2 Cyl Head Temp: 305 350 360 365
#3 Cyl Head Temp: 300 350 370 365
#4 Cyl Head Temp: 305 355 365 360
Oil Temp: 180 200 210 220

These DTM tests were done on a TIV engine- 2270cc @ 153HP in the middle of summer 2003. The TI tests were done on a 187HP 2165cc engine in January 2004. So there is no comparison between the 2 as far as overall temps are concerned- I was just trying to illustrate the differences in the even running temps.... NOTHING beats a DTM!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.