Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What percentage of 914 owners work on their own cars?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
flyer86d
I do everything except for finish bodywork and paint on the Porsche’s. I have done paint and bodywork on other cars including the Mercedes I have had and the one I still own. I particularly enjoy building engines for my cars. I did own and operate a garage for 10 years so that definitely helped.

Charlie
Jeff_72
As a new 914 owner, and having someone else work on my car, Ill chime in too. I plan on doing all normal maintenance myself once I get my car.

However, I have never restored a vehicle, rebuild an engine or painted professionally. I want to drive this car, and do not want to be worried about the strength of the chassis, reliability of the motor, whether the brakes are big enough for the power behind me.

I plan on purchasing a "hanger queen" 914 that I can work on to learn some of the more advanced restoration/maintenance skills in order to maintain my dream car.
worn
QUOTE(mlindner @ Oct 31 2023, 01:34 PM) *

Yup, just like you Ben. Strip, clean, replace, weld, assemble....just can't paint.Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=892
435]Click to view attachment

Great photos!
sixaddict
I do a lot but classify myself as a parts changer.
Let skilled people to do skill tasks.
Pull engines and or transmissions but have others do the insides as I want reliability I can’t deliver.
Changing the dash board is job I hate the most but reassembly of vent system and wipers may be next. Have only removed that.
Leave paint and body to those with talent and patience. Do reassembly and seals.
Finding the older I get the longer the big projects take… dry.gif
jhynesrockmtn
I have slowly grown my confidence in what I'll tackle. When I bought my BB last year it ran decently but I knew it had mostly been sitting for many years so I anticipated going through the fuel system with new hoses, doing a valve adjustment, new brake soft hoses, etc. The while I'm in there list grew exponentially as I really inspected things.

I do the work in large part because that's how I can afford the cars and it is very difficult in our area to find anyone worth a "(*& to do the work. We luckily have a retired pro who will make house calls to coach and mentor through a project. It's also a brain and hobby thing for me. I've seen folks retire with little to engage them (I'm 60) and it isn't pretty. I want to stay active and learn new things.

On this car I did new fuel system, brakes (PMB rebuilt calipers), engine out for gaskets, fuel hoses/injectors, new alternator, new Bowlsby wiring harnesses, vacuum lines, new clutch, complete suspension refresh, new CV joints, new seat belts, new side decals and a bunch of other stuff. Many of these tasks were new to me and with the help of this site, Ian Karr's videos and our local pro, I did it all. I'm blessed to have a 1,200 sq ft. shop and a lift with a growing tool collection.

I then drove it 2,500 miles round trip with some friends to Rennsport. My winter list based on that trip is to go through the trans (leaking and 1st gear is difficult), new motor/trans mounts (something I should have done but ran out of time), new carpet, Jwest fuse panel, get radio working, fix steering wheel electrical issue.... I'm sure I'll find more.

I have no experience with paint/body work and have not rebuilt a trans or motor. I do plan to tackle the trans and motor but will likely leave any paint/body stuff to the pros. If I can find one.

In process

Click to view attachment

In front of the famous Borg's motel in Monterey

Click to view attachment
Porschef
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Nov 1 2023, 07:40 AM) *

I will say, since i've gotten a "little" older, my preference has swung more towards driving then working. And I try to protect my 914 and keep it roadworthy.

Exactly. I think the question has been posed about the age of most owners, and just like them, I ain’t getting any younger. I do as much of the work that I can, alignment and the tranny rebuild (thanks Doc smile.gif) notwithstanding. I’ve changed the engine, painted some bits, replaced the dash and the wiper motor (blast that air box!) and a bunch of other stuff but I find it increasingly tougher to get the motivation going.

Dealing with health issues sux. I’m doing all I can to maintain it’s condition and keep it usable whenever I’d like.

That said, I’m a couple miles short of 2k for the season. Fixed the odometer last winter (and replaced all the plexiglass gauge fronts with glass) so I kept track. I think I’m ahead of the last few years mileage wise.

Driving these cars truly is good therapy... beerchug.gif

majkos1
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 31 2023, 05:19 PM) *

Learn to work on them at your leisure, or learn to work on them by the side of the road happy11.gif

agree.gif Touche' shades.gif
Front yard mechanic
I try to fix everything myself and that explains why parts fall off at high speed ohmy.gif
flipb
I would posit that 914World is likely to over-represent DIY wrenches and under-represent those who simply drive and outsource all maintenance and repairs.

It's one of the all-time great analog driver's cars -- particularly one of the great affordable ones. The Venn diagram of people who love a good driving experience and people who enjoy working on cars has plenty of overlap, but there are distinct groups too.

And the people who seek out 914World are more likely to be looking for advice on wrenching -- which is probably 90%+ of the content here.
majkos1
QUOTE(cassmcentee @ Nov 1 2023, 05:54 AM) *

I'm a "Monkey with a Wrench"
This journey of learning the workings of a 914 is fun and challenging and will feel great when I have ANOTHER that runs down the road...

Pretty much the motivation here at Mile High.

"Get em back on the road"
Cure the dreaded "Jack stand disease"

First fix (1985 first 914) and now am addict
Been a DIY'r since young, dad restored a Model A and I help.(Dont remember though)

Me and my brother shared a VW type III, '73 Squareback.
Then he got a Type III Fastback, off to college.
I acquired the Squareback My First car!
kept it alive for many years, lot's improvise repair, duct tape and bailing wire,

Hey ! it's a Volkswagon.

I even manage to install, (re-install) Fuel injections , VW originally FI
gone the dual carbs

all skills learned on the VW is invaluable to have and working on a 914

Dropping the motor with certain tools that work or doesn't rolleyes.gif

I wanted a faster car for the mountains, I was in a ski circuit and race at different ski location.

Sirocco or 914?

914 won.
(I sill have it!)
many many miles was shared,
til tired motor gave out, (valve through piston)
was wondering why it seems like i'm repairing every week, new points and valve adjustments..

weird part? best thing ever. rebuilt the motor, lasted many years

Yeah I do my own work, even paint (looks great at ten feet away,) Shiney sunglasses.gif

Mom got me hooked on track driving, she had a 300 Turbo!
we take turns driving, she' s new A level ,while I'm a B
Many years mountain driving, I've skills LOL

I would "coach" her what I learned about her car,
Cornering is tricky with a Turbo.
anyhow, couple times with Z car club at the track,
she says get your car fix!
was suffering the "worn out first gear" issues.
buy used trans. whenever needed , they're cheap
Beginning of additions getting worst.
started gathering 914's
one point ,had eight .

chopped a few because of rust issuse,
Guys and Gals (yes Handyher)

nothing more funner than bunch of 914 guys cutting up a rusted shell.

very informative to me as I dissect with Sawzall sawzall-smiley.gif

what I learned from Dad's Model A experience ,
Collect and save all the reusable parts!

Mile High 914 was born.

Mind you, I've chopped a few , they were , "at that time" years ago, beyond repair.

Includes rolled (2)
Click to view attachment
Now a vast amount of parts at my disposal ,
am able to keep my personal 914 running, work on another, good friend of mine,

Get em on the road!

They're a Blast to drive!

pek771
I do everything myself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.