Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Master cylinder leaks externally
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pek771
Hi all.
The new master cylinder I put in leaks. I thought it was leaking at the o-ring for the switch, but it is leaking above that boss. I have no idea what is up there. It is not leaking from the filler tube (which is a single tube, EPDM hose and splits into two for the inlets to the master cylinder-special construction for the batteries in the car. The fuel tank is gone, and the entire well is filled with batteries).

Consequently. I hate to pull the MC back out. There seems to be some sort of allen screw or something (best I can tell by feel) on top of the MC.
Anyone got any ideas?
TIA
Pat
Geezer914
When you say the area where the fuel tank was is filled with batteries; did you convert the car to an electric vehicle???
pek771
Yes it is electric. 7 Tesla batteries and hyper9 motor. Fuel tank area is full of custom batteries I built for 72v air conditioning and 12v step down.Click to view attachment

I guess I can pull the MC out and see what the problem is.
Mikey914
Do take a close look at the rubber hose area. If it's leaking it will appear to come from that area.
pek771
Yup. it is leaking from the hoses where the resoirvoir feeds it. But, I pulled it all apart, and cleaned it with denatured alcohol. If I can find a sealer to dab on those rubber fittings, I'll be all set. Evidently. few products are compatible with brake fluid.
Geezer914
A little off topic, have you weighed the car to see what the balance is now from front to back? All those batteries look like it's nose heavy.
Dave_Darling
Make sure you have the washers in the inlet holes under the seals. Apparently the hoses are a lot more difficult to install with them in, but they will leak without.

--DD
pek771
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Nov 4 2023, 08:42 PM) *

A little off topic, have you weighed the car to see what the balance is now from front to back? All those batteries look like it's nose heavy.

Its about 2000 pounds. F/R is 1004/1123. And, it will spin like a top and not roll over. The Tesla modules are 55 lb each, I have three in front and four in back, in special boxes. The 72v/12v batteries are about 84 pounds.
930cabman
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 6 2023, 12:22 AM) *

Make sure you have the washers in the inlet holes under the seals. Apparently the hoses are a lot more difficult to install with them in, but they will leak without.

--DD

agree.gif And they must be new washers. IIRC they are aluminum or some other soft metal
iankarr
Also check to see it's not leaking from the welch plug...
mate914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 6 2023, 02:22 AM) *

--DD

100% true...

Matt
Morrie
QUOTE(iankarr @ Nov 6 2023, 11:27 PM) *

Also check to see it's not leaking from the welch plug...

This.

I have installed two in a row with that leak. Ran out of energy so this second one keeps up with a slow drip. ugh... maybe I will swap it out for the new ATE I have over Thanksgiving week.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.